Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: New Member: Knee pain since 1996  (Read 875 times)

Offline FootyChick

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
New Member: Knee pain since 1996
« on: December 09, 2008, 03:57:16 PM »
Hi

I have a long hstory of bilateral knee pain. I used to play football but it all started when i fell out the patio onto concrete. Went to the hospital & was told that it was badly bruised but no breaks.  Well what they didnt notice was a piece of bone had broken off & started growing across my lateral ligaments in left knee. I had a very unstable knee which would give way & make terrible crunching & poping noises. To cut a long story short over the last 12 years Ive had 9 operations on my left knee. I now have osteoarthritis in the joint. The operations included 3 athroscopies, MacIntosh Repair, Having the hufus pad removed, having the kneecap drilled, Lateral release & 2 PFJR's. The last op was April this year. Im now waiting for a TKR as I am still in considerable pain. They keep trying to put it off because of my age hence all the ops ive had. I will be 38 nxt week.

Now to my right knee. As I have had to use my right knee to compensate for the bad one, its become very painful also. Its very painful doing stairs. Can't walk for long periods either. It feels very weak too.  I went to see my OS & had an x-ray which revealed sub optimal position of the patella.  Examination showed that compression of the patelloferoral joint provoked pain & crepitus & there was also evidence of mal-tracking & the patella is positioned medially.  My OS told me that I have a twisted femur & there are 2 ways of correcting it. Either breaking the femur bone & resetting it or doing a Tibial Tuberosity Transfer.

Well I am booked in as an in-patient to have surgery 23rd December. My OS has put down Arthroscopy, Debridement, Microfracture, Lateral Release & Tibial Tuberosity Transfer.  Will be in hospital for Christmas but I hope he sorts it out as I don't want to go down the same road as my left knee having to have numerous operations done.

Would be grateful if anyone has had similar surgery could let me know what to expect. How long the recovery?  How long on crutches?  How long off work etc..
Will I have a big scar? Not bothered tho as I will have a matching pair.

Look forward to some feedback

Thanks
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 04:05:53 PM by FootyChick »

Offline celinenj03

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: New Member: Knee pain since 1996
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 07:09:24 PM »
hello and welcome. Guess you are sort of getting the works done! Good in a way right, take care of everything all at once!

I had microfracture and lateral release along with some general clean up work done on September 17th. For the microfracture I have to be on crutches for 8 weeks of non weight, then I have another 6 weeks of gradual weight bearing. Ive basically had crutches to walk for the past 3 months from my microfracture.  But generally speaking it takes about 6 weeks. My surgeon is very conservative and my damage was very very bad.

The scar for this isnt bad at all just a few poke holes, cant even see them hardly anymore, but I dont know about your other surgery if there will be a small incision, probably not much.

Just be good about your pain meds, and stay ahead of the pain. Mine really only hurt hurt for like the first 4 days, after that it was just extreme soreness, but the meds. always kept me pretty much pain free. Its just a long recovery and thats the hardest part. But we'll be here for you! Make sure you have stuff to do, a laptop, sudoko, books to read, whatever you like. I was in bed pretty much for 6 weeks because I was in the passive motion machine which kept bending and straightening my leg.

Its boring, but really other than that, you get through it and you're so happy to get it over with.

You are young, like me, Im 41 and too young for TKR so they do these salvage procedures to buy us time. Hopefully more than a little time! Keep us posted on your recovery and welcome to the board.
Terrible Triad - 1/16/06 - Basketball
3/15/06 - Scope/Cleanout of to achieve full ROM
5/3/06 - Surgery-ACL Reconstruction-Allograft
9/12/07 - Large Loose body removed;Grade 4 Lesion on LFC
9/17/08-Microfracture, Lateral Release (all right knee)

Offline FootyChick

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 02:12:40 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.  It's great to talk to someone who has experienced the operation & give some feedback on what to expect.

Sorry to hear you've had problems with your knee too.  Hope the microfracture & cleanup has helped you.  Its like you said that they are just biding time because of our age but you can't put off the inevitable.

I'm not looking forward to the long recovery process.  I'm not the type to be sat on my bum & being layed up doing nothing for so long.  It's gonna drive me absolutely bananas.

I've got my laptop to keep me company, plenty of puzzle books, reading books & the Play Station so I hope I don't get too bored & frustrated.

I live in the UK.  Where abouts are you?

Well I'm counting the days down now till my operation.  Will let you know what i've had done & how it all goes.
Have a great crimbo & think of me in the hospital :'(

Take care

Offline celinenj03

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 09:47:31 PM »
I will definitely be thinking of you and praying for you too. I live in the states in NJ. Yes, you will go absolutely bananas! I know I did and am still! It's the hardest part. But I think its all in the way you handle it. You can devote the time constructively, maybe write that book you always wanted to write! Well, Im glad you're doing it during the cold months. Its a good time to have down time. Then by spring you should be up and around again. You get through it and we are here to help. Just take it one day at a time and remember each day is one day closer.... one day closer.... All the Best!
Terrible Triad - 1/16/06 - Basketball
3/15/06 - Scope/Cleanout of to achieve full ROM
5/3/06 - Surgery-ACL Reconstruction-Allograft
9/12/07 - Large Loose body removed;Grade 4 Lesion on LFC
9/17/08-Microfracture, Lateral Release (all right knee)

Offline FootyChick

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 11:58:42 AM »
Hi,

Remember me? ;D  Well I am 4 weeks post op. I had an arthroscopy as well as an open tibial tuberosity transfer. When I spoke to my OS after the op, he told me that he also removed some bone growth within my patella.

I am NWB for 6 weeks.  Had a Cricket Bat Splint for first 2 weeks and now have nothing on leg at all. I see my OS in 2 weeks to find out if op was a success or not.

First week was absolute agony. :'( The blood rush was evil. Its just so boring.  Ive done so many puzzle books, watched all the tv I can possibly bear.  But I stayed at my parents for 3 weeks in their bungalow so I had some company.

Its just a real slow recovery process. Started physio this week but I am limited to what I can do as I am still NWB.

Hope you are ok.

Regards.

Offline JoniF

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 01:19:06 PM »
Hi Footy,

Glad to hear that surgery went well for you and that you are on the mend.

Take care,
Joni
1989 Lateral Release, debridement, and arthroscopic surgery - lk
1996 TTT, Elmslie-trillat procedure, lateral release and debridement - lk
1997 Debridement and hardware removal - lk
2006 Lateral Release, 2 meniscus tears repaired, & acl repair - lk
2008 Sev Patella Effusion - rt knee

support