Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Cortisone Injections  (Read 1766 times)

Offline Mary Poppins

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Cortisone Injections
« on: December 09, 2008, 11:06:41 AM »
Hello All, this may seem like a daft question  :-\ i have to go for a Arthroscope on 22nd December!!!! Cartilage needs smoothing due to Arthritis, and until they get in don't know what else, i only saw the Consultant 2 weeks ago and he said it has to be done by Xmas, now i am worried about the op, i have to stay in overnight which is making me more worried, then i am concerned about DVT, infections, and how long it's going to take to get on my feet more so over Xmas as family are coming.
Now i am thinking, do i cancel until in the new year and.....here's the daft question could i totally cancel the op and ask if i can have Cortisone Injections, has anyone had them and are they any good for this type of knee complaint.

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
Re: Cortisone Injections
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 02:08:35 PM »
Why are they keeping your over night? That's pretty unheard of for a scope, at least in the US.

At any rate, I'm sure you can do whatever you want but given how long it takes to get a surgery scheduled in the UK I might be inclined to take what I could get. There's no guarantee that a cortisone injection will help. There's also no guarantee that the surgery will even help given the sort of vague diagnosis you have. I've had several cortisone injections. At most I might have gotten three weeks of relief. At worse all they did was make me more sore while providing no relief whatsoever.

Offline Mary Poppins

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 02:58:30 PM »
They said that they will keep me in overnight due to any complications probs age and weight, i know that i am trying to put the op off but i am so frightened about having it done.

Offline JaneDown

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 04:28:13 PM »
If I were you (and with the wisdom of my own hindsight!!) I would definitely postpone it!!!! I am 40, had arthroscopies on both knees (bad idea!!) on 4th October and had some of both lateral meniscii shaved off. I know I'm probably in a minority but I am still having HUGE problems 10 weeks later! I still have a lot of pain in both knees, find walking any distance at all really hard, am stil having physiotherapy and hydrotherapy and am now having MRI scans on both knees tomorrow to see what's gone wrong and why things are taking so long to get back to any sense of normality! My thigh muscles have withered away to nothing (which is causing problems with my kneecaps going off in wrong directions!) and all in all this has been the worse thing I've ever done! The stress of it all has made me SO depressed and I've just been put on anti-depressants!!! All this from a "Simple" arthroscopy!!! From what you say, the fact they are keeping you in overnight because of your age, weight etc, I'm assuming that you are not a young, healthy, athletic type?? It's my unerstanding that the better levels of fitness, muscle strength etc you ahve before the procedure, the better your recovery time. I'm 409, not overweight but certainly not athletic (did no exercise at all!!!) which may have contributed to my bad reaction to the procedure and my VERY long recovery!
When I wnet into hospital on 4th October I couldn't possibly imagie that my life would have ben so turned upside down by my inability to return to normal activities by now! Even I'm wondering how I'm possiby going to cope with Christmas and it'll be not far off 3 months since my op!!!!!
I have no words of advice about cortisone injections as have never had them. However, my advice would be
1) Don't have this done 2 days before CHristmas!!!! It will RUIN your CHristmas
2) Think about whether the levels of pain you have now are really ruining your quality of life to such an extent that you want to risk the possibility of making things worse with surgery (which seems to happen a fair amount!!)
3) Do not let your OS or GP persuade you that because it's arthroscopy it's not that big a deal...it is!!!! Or at least it can be for some. If I could turn back the clock I would never have had my knees touched!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Good luck with your decision and happy Christmas!!
Jane
Knee pain since 2002
2006 MRI shows lateral meniscal tears
Oct 2008 Bilateral partial lateral meniscectomies (long recovery!!)
Jan 2009 MRI shows surgery caused damage to medial meniscus!!!
June 2013 knee injury, agony!!!
August 2013 - left knee medial partial meniscectomy

Offline JaneDown

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 04:33:33 PM »
Oooops!! In my last post I said I was 409!! I'm actually 40...however since having my knees scoped I feel 409!!!!
jane
Knee pain since 2002

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 73
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 04:44:00 PM »
Hope you dont mind me butting into your posting but been told not to have too many cortisone injections into the knee you can have so many injections into your knee during your life as it can do harm if you have too many shots of cortisone.

I going to have my 1st cortisone injection into the fat pad to see if it helps or not before having a scope. My PT said the cortisone must be injected in the right area as if its injected into the wrong area can do damage to the knee.

I agree with jane cancel the op till after christmas as you dont want to remember christmas 2008 in pain or even in bed. Enjoy the last few weeks of this year, there the new year to get your knee sorted out.

Nick :) {2008} :)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 04:50:28 PM by Clarkey »
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline stickshifty

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 03:49:56 AM »
I am no expert on your knee situation, but I would like insert my $0.02.

.01: You have to look at the dates when you could reschedule to and how much longer your knee can handle it. If you can't get another surgery date til the end of January, I'd say keep the one you have. For me, I've had a helluva time getting my surgery dates in where I can afford to take time off (school-wise, not job-wise though). And for the record, cortisone is NOT a solution to knee problems.

With that said........

.02: Like Nick and Jane said, if you want to remember Christmas (or even be awake during it), you might want to try to post-pone it. After my scope, I was completely out the rest of the day (and I had it done at 7am) and the day after. The next couple days I was nauseous and super-emotional (like crying my eyes out for no apparent reason other than someone using a less-than-kind tone with me), thanks to the lovely painkillers. And with extra family around for Christmas (at least with *my* family), tension has a tendency to run really high.

And for the record: I had a scope in May, originally wasn't supposed to have any PT, but then in June I had some to help get my ROM back, and then by July I was doing better than I had in years. And even though it's been sore since I decided to go to what seems like one of the most mountainous and hilly campuses in the US, I still would do it again if I had to do it all over again. In fact, I am getting it done again next week on the other knee. Maybe it's because I'm young (only 18!) that makes it easier for me to bounce back.

Laura.  8)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 06:37:31 AM by stickshifty »
7.22.2004: horseback riding accident :(
5.9.2008: scope + plica removal on left knee.
12.16.2008: de-plica-tize my right knee.
3.14.2011: lateral release + medial plication on left knee.

It's great to be a Tennessee Vol!!!!

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 04:14:57 AM »
I'll toss my .02 in here.  Who knows?!  Some of us recover quickly and go on with no troubles.  Others take awhile longer but recover.  Others recover but aren't happy about the results.  Then others are like my13 months post surgery and not happy.  If there is a pt type I've done it / tried it.  The scope did solve part of my knee issues, unfortunately it caused more issues.  Its a gamble one way or another.

I think we are all scared of surgery. However to be so afraid to not have the surgery is a different issue, imp.  This is like pain - personally I've got a very high threshold, others don't.  You'll know when your ready for the surgery. 

Offline Mary Poppins

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008, 01:39:12 PM »
Thank you for all your replies, i have canceled until after Xmas, to be honest most of my pain i feel in calf and thigh i dont have very much pain around the actual kneecap, knee is a bit painful and stiff when i first get out of bed, then within about 5 mins i can walk, that's what makes me think do i really need the op, the consultant said that my knee is mild to moderate, whatever that means and on a scale of 1-5 i am at 3 which he says for a 50 year old is not too good.
Still freaked out about this operation thing though  :(

Offline JaneDown

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008, 07:13:58 PM »
I am SO glad to see that you are cancelling until after Christmas!!! If most of your pain is in your calf and thigh then I would seriously question the wisdom of EVER getting your knee scoped. Most 50-year olds who are not athletic-types probably have a certain degree of stiffness in their joints in the morning, I really don't think that necessitates cutting holes in your knee, bloating it up with liquid, sticking all manner of instruments, camera, lights etc inside and potentially causing more damage than good. There is no evidence whatsoever that any type of "clean up" done arthroscopically will improve general arthritic pain long term. I've obviously had a  bad experience, but in my experience you'll find it hard to find anyone with anything 100% good to say about their arthroscopy when it's just general aches and pains and ageing arthritic knees (as opposed to something obviously mechanically incorrect such as a ruptured ligament or something that obviously needs surgically correcting). My advice is, keep your knee intact (no holes and instruments in there!), strengthen your legs with physio, get a  good physiotherapist to look at your gait (which may be the cause of your thigh and calf muscular pain), lose  some weight if you need to (knees will always be happier if they are carrying less weight) and look after yourself, take glucosamine just in case it helps (it can't harm?) and basically avoid surgery (even "simple" arthroscopy) unless you really, really need it!!!
Have a great Christmas!
jane
Knee pain since 2002

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 73
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2008, 05:28:34 PM »
Good that you prosponed your surgery till after Christmas and interested to read up about your knee pain saying knee pain you get is not too painful and woundering about if you should have surgery or not.

I am the same as you dont feel to much knee pain most of the time and fairly active but cant run or walk at a fast paste. The pain at times can be intense with sudden sharp pain inside the knee. My boss thinks my knee fine as I stepped off the trailer today and he said thought you have a dodgy knee. I do but can be active still on the golf course at work I am a greenkeeper. I find I dont feel that much pain at work but it comes when I am at home when works finished.

I can fully understand you freaked out about going under the knife and cant blame you as I would be if I end up having a scope. I have had a few dreams about going into theatre but always walk away before going in and if it came true hope I dont freak out and walk out of the hospital.

The OS knows best and if he thinks you need a scope then you must need one and have to face up to your fear of having surgery and sure you be pleased once its over.

Nick :) {2008} :)

RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming