Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: How long does a deep bruise take to heal?  (Read 8295 times)

Offline knee pain

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • I love my 2 dogs and I miss my Dad! Rip Dad!
How long does a deep bruise take to heal?
« on: December 09, 2008, 12:42:10 AM »
I found out I have a deep bruise on my knee from falling on it on Thursday! Which has been hurting since Friday! I have iced it today for 30 minutes which I am supposed to for 3 days then change to heat.

But after I do that will it still hurt ya think? Or should I continue icing it and the heat til it feels better?
knee pain started March 8,07 when i fell and my knee twisted.

still haven't gone to an Orthopedic surgeon! But I hurt my knee again on 12/4/08.

Im 25 and have injured my knee twice now!

RIP Dad! I miss you-I lost my Dad in May(2008)

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
Re: How long does a deep bruise take to heal?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 02:33:09 PM »
A deep bruise is a pretty vague diagnosis. It's usually the kind of diagnosis you get when your doctor doesn't really have a clue. If it is in fact a bruise it will just heal on its own time but there really is no way to predict. I had a major bruise on my leg several years ago and it took over a month for it to even start feeling better.

If I were you I'd make an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon if it doesn't feel better in a few days. I think I read where you went to a walk-in clinic? That is not the best place to get a diagnosis for a knee injury. Orthopedic surgeons are the experts and even they will order an MRI to get a better look at your knee.

Offline knee pain

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 03:51:32 PM »
The place I go it takes a year to see an OS because the place i go to is very slow! Example-I got there at 9:20am and left at 1pm! But I will see if I can make an appt with an OS sooner if it keeps hurting! Which right now today it still does. Last night I took hydrocodone and the pain went away(made me tired too) but at least I slept all night without pain! The dr gave me Naproxen(which don't do crap because basically its Advil with a different name and Advil doesn't work either does Tylenol!

Thanks!

still haven't gone to an Orthopedic surgeon! But I hurt my knee again on 12/4/08.

Offline knee pain

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 03:53:54 PM »
I'll see if I can get my Dr to order a MRI of my knee that might tell me more. I could of damged my knee more by falling on it again(last time my knee twisted)

Offline JoniF

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 05:58:26 PM »
Hi Knee Pain,

I am just getting over a severe patella effusion (very severe knee bruise) on my right knee that happened back in October.  I was told that I had blood and fuid in my knee and that it would just take time for it to heal.  My knee swelled up to about 4xs its normal size.  Steriods are a good way to decrease any swelling that you might have in your knee.  It does however; depending on the severity take quite a bit of time to heal.

Take care and hope you're feeling better,
Joni
1989 Lateral Release, debridement, and arthroscopic surgery - lk
1996 TTT, Elmslie-trillat procedure, lateral release and debridement - lk
1997 Debridement and hardware removal - lk
2006 Lateral Release, 2 meniscus tears repaired, & acl repair - lk
2008 Sev Patella Effusion - rt knee