Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: OATS donor site pain  (Read 2357 times)

Offline akirka

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
OATS donor site pain
« on: December 08, 2008, 11:42:59 PM »
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has experienced donor site pain from an OATS procedure?  I had OATS surgery Jan 08 to correct a defect in my ankle.  The bone plugs were taken from the non-weight bearing section of my knee - 2 plugs, 10mm and 8 mm.  I have had really good success with my ankle and feel great.  However, my donor site area causes me frequent knee pain.  Especially going downhill.  I just went on a long roadtrip in a car and now my knee is really painful - I guess being bent for a long period of time.  Has anyone had to go see their OS to check if the the donor site has problems?  I would still do this surgery again even with this new pain because it's such an improvement overall.

Thanks!
Abby:)

Offline JulieRose6

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: OATS donor site pain
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 05:50:07 AM »
Hi Abby,

I had my Oats surgery in March and I had pain walking uphill on the donor site and i had to sit on the backseat for a few weeks to keep my leg elevated throughout trips in the car. I still feel the pressure but not as bad. Okay is this pain like you can feel the edges of the knee cap (the replaced one) because I had that problem and its slowly went away when it healed, give it time I don't think I was doing as good as you seem to be at a few weeks out. I walked 3 days post op but had that extreme pain that you seem to have. I used the ice machine (do you have one?) if you have this, it will help that pain, it is what I saved me for the first 3 weeks post op. If you have any questions just ask me I've been where you have

Julie
Arthoscopic (3/2002)
Fulkerson/Lateral Release/Arthoscopic (12/2002)
Arthoscopic/ Screw Removal (10/2003)
Arthoscopic (12/2006)
Oats Procedure (3/2008)
Partial Knee Replacement (11/09)
Partial Knee Replacement (6/10)