Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Hi, I recently had surgery for a total rupture of patella tendon as well as..  (Read 545 times)

Offline walkaway

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
..surgery for a broken ankle on the same leg.  My surgery for the tendon was eight weeks ago and the ankle six weeks ago.  After the knee was done I wore a total immobilizer and two weeks later to an adjustable one. 

Because of the broken ankle I also had to wear a heavy boot under the brace and could not put my foot on the ground for the entire eight weeks.  Three days ago I finally got to take the boot off and the knee brace.  Since my doctor had been gradually adjusting the brace for the past six weeks I have 100% extension.

I just started PT and because of the two injuries together my leg is pretty weak and my knee tends to swell up after the limited work I do with it despite icing it.
My doctor just tells me to be careful with it but I am an animal trainer and have been out of work because of this.  How vulnerable am I?  How soon do most people go back to a physical job after this?  Any advise? 
Pulled down by a 110 lb Bouvier puppy in training 9/19/08 resulting in a fully ruptured patella tendon and a broken ankle. (he is sorry)
Surgery on 10/3 for tendon and 10/15 for ankle

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 208
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
Hi

First and formost, go onto the following thread which is devoted to persons who have ruptured their Patella Tendon -  This is a VERY rare injury, and you should read up as much as possible.

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=8389.510

You have sustained this serious injury and will be in for a long haul to recovery.

If you let me have your e-mail address, I will let you have some useful information regarding the rehab process. 

Where do you live?   how did you do your injury?

Best wishes

JohnK/ Manchester UK
[email protected]

Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline walkaway

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
My name is Beth and I e-mailed you so I would be grateful if you could send the information.

I had a pretty big fall while working with an unruly Bouvier des Flandres youngster who became frightened and bolted.  He was sorry for his bad behavior.

The first four weeks of this whole affair was just a whirlwind of pain.  I am lucky to have pretty good insurance and a well regarded surgeon.  I am feeling much better and I need to go back to work.  I am the business and the provider so I have to get going.  I don't want to ruin anything but the bills are going to start piling up.  I'm trying to get an idea of where I really am in the process.

Thanks for your offer of info,
Beth
Pulled down by a 110 lb Bouvier puppy in training 9/19/08 resulting in a fully ruptured patella tendon and a broken ankle. (he is sorry)
Surgery on 10/3 for tendon and 10/15 for ankle

support