Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Wow, I really screwed up my knee.  (Read 1296 times)

Offline jiffer

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Wow, I really screwed up my knee.
« on: December 08, 2008, 05:26:57 AM »
Hello all,

I'm a grad student in NYC. I was at a party 2 weeks ago, got pretty tipsy, and fell down a rather narrow staircase. Apparently I smashed the concrete wall in with my knee and made a dent. Waited a day or two hoping it would go away, but had a reality check with the enormous swelling and went to the ER for xrays. They said it was a "knee sprain" and would heal itself, gave me an ace bandage and a cane. As the days passed the knee got bigger, hotter, and tighter, and the colors ranges from white (at the impact point--white/flesh-colored and numb) and around the biggest swelling area, dark purple. The color and swelling seemed to leak down into my calf and foot, and as the days passed they both became tight and discolored. My ankle started to hurt as though I had twisted it. Then it started becoming excruciatingly responsive to the slightest touch.

It's been a little over two weeks. The swelling and pain are still extreme, though discoloration has faded (except for the hot, tight, numb, shiny, pale/white impact area). I had additional xrays and an ultrasound (negative for blood clots), and the ortho offered to stick a needle in and drain the knee but said it would probably be too painful and sent me for an MRI instead, which I had today. His MRI prognosis read, "Severe ecchymosis, internal derangement of medial knee, non weight-bearing, check multiligamentous damage of knee and ankle." He prescribed vicodin (which does NOTHING to relieve pain, might as well be candy). As the days pass it gets stiffer, and it has started itching. The pain has not abated.

I'm waiting till he reads the MRI films on Wednesday but in the meantime I could use some support, ideas, recommendations. I live off campus and am in finals right now and have been commuting on the subway with crutches and a backpack, which sucks. Does anybody have any ideas as to what the heck I did to myself and how I can get better? I am attaching photos to demonstrate the injury...this is about one week ago, so one week after the injury itself.

I would appreciate your feedback so much!!!!!!

Jenn

Offline maryc

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
Re: Wow, I really screwed up my knee.
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 06:46:19 AM »
Jenn - sorry about your fall - the best advice I can offer is to ice and elevate as much as possible.  If you can elevate your leg above your heart - this helps with the swelling.  Also when you are sitting upright, pump your ankle like you are stepping on the gas in a car - this will help with the circulation. 
Sending healing rays your way
8/4/07 fell
8/5 diagnosed TPF
8/6 surgery plate and 6 screws
8/12 out of hospital NWM
8/21 staples removed
9/18 OS appt - WBAT with crutches
10/10 - WBAT with cane
10/27 - back to work w/cane
12/26 - no cane, slight limp when tired
1/25/08 - released from PT, no limp
2/3/09 - Released by OS

Offline cassidyj

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Waiting is painful. Forgetting is painful.
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 06:50:21 AM »
Dang, I'm sorry. I'm in the same situation as you with crutches, commute, and finals.  :(

I can't tell you much other than hang in there. But as far as the vicodin goes, it didn't help me either. Made me itchy more than anything. So, I've started using Naproxen (Aleve) instead. Which BTW, you can't use with vicodin so make sure you choose one or the other.

Otherwise, does icing help at all? You could take an ice bath. Helps me a lot!

Best of luck! With your knee and finals!

Offline daedalus

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 03:45:48 PM »
Hi Jenn,

I'm a fellow New Yorker.  Sorry to hear about your injury.  I know how bad it must be to deal with this during final exams. 

I'm no expert, but I would also suggest ice and elevation.  Resting the knee is a good idea too, but not always possible if you need to go to school.  I'm alternating between heat and ice therapy for my knee.  Keep us posted and best of luck.

Offline stickshifty

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 12:39:42 AM »
Wow I'm sorry-- that looks like a nasty fall.

But I agree with all the aforementioned: ICE!!! and elevate it to try to get the swelling down. And trying Naproxen couldn't hurt either if the Vicodin isn't doing anything.

Good luck on finals!

Laura
7.22.2004: horseback riding accident :(
5.9.2008: scope + plica removal on left knee.
12.16.2008: de-plica-tize my right knee.
3.14.2011: lateral release + medial plication on left knee.

It's great to be a Tennessee Vol!!!!

Offline dai-chan

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 06:40:15 AM »
I'm sorry about your leg, mate. Looks pretty bad. :(

I just wanted to say that you aren't alone with the vicadin, I was prescribed some for my fractured knee and it really doesn't do much except make me nauseous.

The only advice I can offer is the same as above, ice it ice it ice it.

Good luck. Hang in there.