Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Should i get a second opinion?  (Read 1290 times)

Gary064

Should i get a second opinion?
« on: December 06, 2008, 11:37:11 PM »
I had an arthroscopy on 8th Aug 08.on my left knee. Went for my follow up on the 26th Sept and to my amazement the surgeon told me he cut out the front meniscus and the knee was in good condition!! and would last 20 to 30 years. the subject was changed i forgot to ask any questions, i think it was the shock of having good news for once.
Once i got home i could have kicked myself. After the arthroscopy on 26th June 07 i was told i had a bucket handle tear on my rear meniscus and the joint was grade 3..... forward to March 08, i went for an MRI scan which confirmed this. The surgeon told me i would need a TKR within a year. I wrote a letter to the surgeons secretary but got no reply, after making a few calls the surgeon finally rings me and just repeats what he had alreay told me!!!! I asked him if he had my notes wth him, he said no!! so i went through the whole story with him but of course he could not comment on any of it. I contacted the secretary again, she sounded as if she could not be bothered!! this is so frustrating...
I saw my GP last friday and asked to see the notes the hospital sent her after my June 07 Artroscopy and MRI results from this year. They wrote that i had a tear in the  posterior horn and grade 3 arthritis!! When i had the artroscopy in August this year they took out the left front meniscus!!!
Saw the surgeon yesterday. After he fully explained about the meniscus i was happy with that, but when i told him about the knee locking in a bent position all he kept saying was, its the mechanics of the knee!! what does that mean!! Feel a little bemused by it all.. its locking more than ever recently, especially after driving and it is very painful at the back of the joint and refuses to straighten. Sometimes can just be for 5 mins or like earlier this week, 3 days! This evening it has locked again and is more painful than ever.
Has anyone else had these symptons, what was the cause of it? what were you told and is there anyway of unlocking it?
I know before my TKR on my other knee it used to lock, but never as bad and as frequent as the left one.
Any help would be good, no matter how trivual.

Gary

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: Should i get a second opinion?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 09:38:07 AM »
hi Gary

IMHO if the joint is locking there must be something 'in the way' causing it to lock ! Being unable to use it properly will weaken the muscles/ligaments/tendons and lead to more and more weakness subsequently causing more locking and discomfort.

I think I would start off with a physio assessment to get it all checked that all the muscles are doing what they should be - I know you walk a lot and say your legs are strong but do it to rule that out !

Then get  to see someone else - if your os is not willing to say more than 'its the mechanics' - thats b*llsh1t - its not right!

good luck.
x
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 09:53:30 AM »
Hi Gazza!

I can sympathise with you about the contradicting assessments about the arthritis! In 2006 when they repaired my ACL they told me that they had also done a meniscus trim and that I had Grade 4 Arthritis in there. Later in 2006 they went in again twice, did 2 more trims and said that it was grade 3. In 2007 during the lateral release and notch enlargement, more meniscus trimmed away and reported that the arthritis was between Grade 2 and 3. In August the current surgeon worked in there for 6 hours and had a really good look around as a result - he said NO ARTHRITIS AT ALL but they had shaved my medial meniscus down to a sliver! Lateral one in his words - thick juicy and good for another half century! I'm seeing him tomorrow morning to discuss how we get around the problems I'm going to have because one is intact and the other missing! I've reached a point in my rehab where I need to start doing heavier strength training and I'm reluctant to pound my knee while the meniscus situation is so uncertain.

Have to agree with Ange - if it's locking there is something wrong and it needs sorting out. It's a vicious circle if they let you suffer and ends with another TKR.

Push for another OS to assess the situation or go private with copies of all your reports just for the consultation. You can always go back to the NHS for any treatment can't you.

Sue
1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 12:09:31 PM »
Okay, I'm a little confused about what you mean by front and rear meniscus. There is no such thing. There's a lateral (outside of knee) and medial (inside of knee) meniscus. They are side by side, not front and rear. Of course there is a front and rear side to each meniscus. I'm guessing part of your confusion about what was done comes from confusing the terminology.

At any rate, your knee shouldn't be locking still.

Offline bavage

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Meniscectomy 8/07 TKR 7/08 MUA 10/08
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 01:05:45 PM »
Cutting the meniscus provides room , and allows the tibia, to move around. Sometimes it finds a spot and 'locks' itself there temporarily.

I believe it all depends on how much of the meniscus was removed. In my case it was 50%.
Eleven months later I had a TKR
Certified Dietary Manager, ServSafe Proctor, Options Trader.           

AKA, The Curmudgeon

support