Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Going in for TKR open to all suggestions  (Read 1134 times)

Offline Penny W

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • Be weird whenever you have the chance
Going in for TKR open to all suggestions
« on: December 05, 2008, 04:01:57 AM »
I am new to this site and haven't quite figured out all the ins and outs I don't know if there is a diary section or if I should just post here So here goes.
I have had pain and problems with my knees since I was 40 I am now 48 both have been scoped my OS drilled little holes in one of the bone surfaces I am not sure if it was the tib or the femur it was suppose to maybe let some new cartilage regenerate or something like that it must have done something because my left knee is pretty much (normal) no pain some cruching but it works.The right knee has went down hill quickly I survived with the synvisc injections for about 6 years and had cortizone in between then in 2006 I broke my left ankle and I believe having to use only my right leg to walk on for about 4 months  and other complications I used what is left of my right knee. I am scheduled  to have TKR in 2 weeks I had always planned to lose the 50 lbs I have gained since this started but it hasn't happened I work out in the pool 4 or 5 days aweek its alot of cardio but strengthning to.So some of my question would be anyone else overweight but still doing good after the TKR.And any suggestions to make this easier and ease some of my fear would really be appreciated.I also hope to be able to find this thread again as I am not that great on the computer.
June 2003 L knee scope with the holes for tissue regeneration
Sept 2003 R knee scope
March 2005 L foot cyst removed
June 2006 Broke L ankle 2 plates 18 screws
Feb 2007 L ankle scar tissue removal
Nov 2007 Plate broke in ankle removed and replaced with bone putty
Dec 2008 R knee TKR w/lat rel.

Offline mnanc

• Regular Poster
  • tkr 12/17/08
Re: Going in for TKR open to all suggestions
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 12:47:39 PM »
hi penny
i'm not overweight but it might help to know that it's possible you might lose the pounds as a result of the operation. i don' t mean to scare you, but the pain from the tkr was so bad for me that i lost all interest in eating. the pain meds also contributed. i lost all the extra weight i could lose--went down to skin and bones--in the weeks after the operation. so if you don't lose any before, maybe you'll lose it after. good luck on the surgery. we'll be here for you to talk to and we'll help you get through the therapy and recovery.

Offline bavage

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Meniscectomy 8/07 TKR 7/08 MUA 10/08
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 01:24:00 PM »
Hi Penny, and good luck.

You don't say if you will have someone with you during recovery to assist you with your needs.

As for weight loss after surgery, it's common to lose many pounds due to the pain meds and dislike of going to the bathroom.  I remember not even liking the taste of my favorite liquid ( wine ) for about a month after surgery.

Certified Dietary Manager, ServSafe Proctor, Options Trader.           

AKA, The Curmudgeon

Offline digginit

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 01:24:53 PM »
Hey Penny!  Good luck with your surgery.  I'm 42 and am 9 1/2 weeks out from my right TKA -- Sep 30.  It's great.  Recovery takes a lot of work, and there is some pain involved, but it's pain that will actually get better.  Prior to my surgery, I was forever having a shot in my knee just to function.  It was steadily getting worse, and my activities were becoming fewer and fewer.  Now that my new knee is healing up, I have very little pain, don't need a shot, and I'm able to do more and more every day.  

I lost weight after the surgery too.  For me it wasn't because of pain though.  My pain was pretty much controlled with 800 mg of Ibuprofen three times a day, and Vicodin at night.  I think my weight loss was just because healing takes a lot of energy.  It's a big surgery and the body has a lot of healing to do after the fact.  I couldn't get enough to eat, and I still lost weight.  I'm making up for it now, though, by putting it back on.  Ugh.

I have the bicompartmental knee replacement thread in the arthritis/unicompartmental replacement section.  It's a pretty long thread, but you're welcome to read and join!  

~dig

Offline Penny W

• Regular Poster
digginit-bavage-mnanc
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 05:20:57 PM »
I would like to thank everyone for your reply's.This doesn't sound like the greatest way to lose weight but I will take it anyway.I am looking forward to having this over with my OS has always wanted me off of the pain meds but I had to much pain he always said if something happened and I needed serious pain relief it would be difficult be cause I was so use to useing the pain meds I hope this isn't the something the pain control is my greatest fear even after the scopes as soon as I woke up I was in enough pain that it was affecting my blood preasure it took about an hour to get it under control enough for my preasure to return to normal.

And my husband will be home at first as I am coming home on the weekend then my mom  and daughter will take turns checking on me I am worried about being home alone as I will stay in one room at first before I venture to the stairs.

Thanks again I will be updating as things progress.
Sept 2003 R knee scope

Offline MoLu

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2008, 11:03:29 PM »
Hi Penny-
I'm overweight and just had a TKR 6 1/2 weeks ago.  I had joined WW in the past year and was able to lose 50 lbs but could lose another 50 yet.  I knew a new knee was in my future but hadn't thought it would be so soon.  I was losing weight to feel better and to hopefully postpone a TKR for a few more years.  Then I had a fall and broke some bones in my foot and hurt my knee about a month before the TKR.  Luckily the foot was mended before the TKR because if you have any other problems like that your recovery will definitely be harder and maybe impossible.  Are you all healed after your break?
I do suggest you keep doing your water exercises.  Even if you are overweight those water exercises are keeping your muscles strengthened.  I think you will do fine.  My weight has not been an issue at all in the rehab.  I work very hard at PT 3x's a week and do my at home exercises faithfully.  I've had problems with the chills so haven't gone back to the pool yet.  I just can't stand the thought of the cold water. 
The first week or two is very hard so I really recommend you get help.  It's possible to do without because some have no choice but isn't easy at all.  You'll need help getting in and out of a CPM if you use one and keeping the ice machine going.  Things like that.  You won't be able to move that leg by yourself for awhile and that is hard.
My biggest hurtle was the pain meds.  Until I could get off the narcs I was very sick.  Felt like I had the flu the whole time and got very little relief.  I probably tried 6 different kinds and I never got one that worked for me.  Finally I got on the mega dosage of Ibuprofen like Digginit suggests with Tylenol thrown in between and started my real recovery.  Things are doing well now.
I'm 57 so maybe a little young for a TKR but your age will probably help you in your recovery too.  Good luck to you and hope you are feeling great soon.
Martha
Synovial Chondromatosis
9/16/05 Frontal synovectomy and tumor removal
10/26/05 Posterior open knee surgery and synovectomy with tumor removal
3/8/06 Disease is back
4/26/06 Frontal arthoscopic synovectomy and posterior open knee synovectomy
6/23/06 Disease is back
7/24/07 Synvisc
10/23/08 TKR

Offline Penny W

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2009, 07:24:11 PM »
I have another thread on here somewhere but can't find it.I just wanted to update for those who are farther behind in there TKR's.I am 10 months now and have just started to be able to somewhat cross my legs like if you are putting on socks and I can stand and lift my leg up without using my hands to put lotion on my feet I had just about decided those two things would never come back now I assume the whole 12 months is necessary to get most extreme movement back.Stairs are fairly easy I can walk as long as I want I cannot kneel or put weight directly on my knee's but those are not necessary for me overall I am happy with my outcome from the TKR but hope to not have to do the other anytime soon.Happy Healing to all :)
Sept 2003 R knee scope

support