Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: My problem  (Read 1222 times)

Offline BBall12

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
My problem
« on: May 22, 2004, 05:32:29 AM »
Hi,
       My name is jason and im 5 months post op after acl reconstruction.  I have worked very very hard on PT and am having problem that i think are scar tissue related.  I have full motion extending and flex but not right away the knee gets very stiff and once i work with it for a while i can get full motion.  The stiff ness has not goten any better over the past few months.  Along with stiffness i have alot of crunchy feeling in my knee on extension that just won't work out.  My doc seems to be brushing off these problems.  I think i have got scar tissue problems but not sure.  Whewn i run i limp because i think my knee hurts to extend quickly when running so it makes my rehad difficult in getting back to sports.  I know these problems are not normal.  Does my problem sound like Arthrofibosis to anyone???  If so When should a doctor go in and remover the scar tissue or is that an option. Im looking into seeing another doctor. I live in St. Louis, MO. Does anyone know of a knee doctor that specializes in scar tissue problems in Saint Louis. I am looking for the best doctor possible in my area. I can't live like this any longer. MY doc just is not addressing the problem in my opinion.  I would love to hear from anyone that has seen a doctor in Saint Louis and knows alot about these types of problems after an acl reconstuction.  Mine was fixed useing the petalla tendon graph method and my leg was kept straight for several days after surgery until i saw My PT guy about a week after surgery.  THanks for anyones input and search for a doc to go see since im not to hapy with the one that did my surgery.

Also anyone know what standard procedure is for docs to go back in and clean the knee out if need be after acl surgery.  Maybe my doc is not communicating well and is just waiting for more time to pass. In any case i still would like to know of another doctor in Siant Louis that is good at scar tissue problems.  My current doctors name is Dr. Ritchie. God Bless and i hope someone can help me out. Good Luck to any one who has these same problem and we'll all get through them some how.

Offline Jaci

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 5
  • User's Text
Re: My problem
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2004, 06:21:02 AM »
Hi Jason,

As much as I hate to say it, the symptoms you describe sound very much like arthrofibrosis. I think you're wise to be looking for another doctor if your current OS is not addressing the problem. Unfortunately that happens a lot with this issue.

I'm in CA so I don't know of any doctors in your area, but I can offer a suggestion if you haven't found someone. Give Cinncinnati Sportsmedicine a call, you'll have to look them up on the internet. I suggest Cinn. Sportsmed because their name comes up quite often when you search for ACL recon &/ or arthrofibrosis.  I know Ohio is a ways from Missouri, but there might be an OS who trained or did a fellowship with them.

The only other advice I can offer is to become as educated as possible on arthrofibrosis. As you may already know, it's not all that common, although it does tend to occur more with ACL recon than with other types of knee surgery. You can learn a lot by reading through the posts on this website, plus there are some links to articles and other info.

Good luck in your quest for answers.

Regards,

Jaci

« Last Edit: May 25, 2004, 06:26:45 AM by JMStan »
10/03 Twist injury
12/03 Menisectomy- tears ACL, MCL, & LCL missed by OS
Arthrofibrosis ROM 38-68
3/04- 4/08 Multiple scar tissue procedures:
6 scopes w/LOA, AIR, LR, chondroplasty, synovectomy, bone spur & plica removal
3 insufflations, many injections
Chronic AF, patella infera, IPCS

Offline BBall12

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: My problem
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2004, 07:28:18 AM »
Anyone know the outlook of a full recovery from arthrofibrosis after an acl surgery.  What are my chances of returning to 100% again and being able to play at a high level of basketball??  I see my doc. june 2 and see what he says and most likely will search out a second opinion. Wish me luck.