Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: What causes tugging sensation in back of knee?  (Read 4683 times)

Offline skibbie61

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
What causes tugging sensation in back of knee?
« on: December 03, 2008, 12:56:35 PM »
Hi all,

Starting last night, I began feeling a bit of tugging in the back of my left knee. It continued today when I walk -- sometimes just a little tug that doesn't hurt, and sometimes it does. I had torn cartilage trimmed off in this knee and mircofracture two years ago. The other knee has a non-displaced tear and pain, too. I still can't walk far, use a cane, etc. But I was finally to a point where I could walk several blocks, and had a very important trip schedule next week. I already had planned on using wheelchair assistance at the airport and limiting walking, but I don't know if I dare do even that now.

Any idea what in the world could cause that tugging feeling behind the knee? I don't even know what to look up online for more info. Thanks for any help.

gigi67

Re: What causes tugging sensation in back of knee?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 01:45:29 AM »
well the palpiteous muscle is back there as is the hamstring both can get really tight after injuries. the palpiteaous can tighten and kind of lock up after injuries and no use, . try heating it up with a warm wrap for 10 minutes, messaging: start from the back of knee area using fingers rubbing up and down and side to side work your way around to the side, then to front of leg to knee cap and down into the shin a bit. take your time messaging it good. to loosen up that palpiteous ( if thats what is I am only starting with the least complicated possibility) after messaging stretch out your hamstring and calf ...take a towel and wrap around foot ( with leg straight out in front of you sitting on a bed or the floor)and pull toes back towards you sit up tall and straight and lean into it gently. also lay flat on back lift legs in air straight above you. point the toes and pull the legs towards you it stretches from the heel to the hip really well.

when done stretching message again, ice for 20  minutes to finish. see if that helps. but it can be other things as well not just what i mentioned but its a place to start may b.

Offline skibbie61

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: What causes tugging sensation in back of knee?
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 10:37:24 AM »
Thanks, I will try the massaging, heat and ice. I'm leery of the stretching as in the past certain problems were made worse by stretching, and I'm not sure if that will help or hurt. I am afraid of things getting worse for the trip, so I've got to be careful.

support