Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: New member...... R knee "terrible triad"  (Read 803 times)

Offline irishal

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
New member...... R knee "terrible triad"
« on: December 02, 2008, 01:42:24 AM »
New member here. Just had surgery Nov 14th to repair grade 2 tears of ACL & MCL and grade 3 tear of LCL. I will never forget my injury as long as I live. Happened playing soccer and felt as if I had been shot through my knee. The pain was unbelievable and the popping noise I can still hear in my mind.
Anyway I'm just over 2 weeks post op and my OS is pretty happy with everything so far (allograft for LCL). I have a number of questions for you folks in here that this is old turkey for.
1. My OS is saying I HAVE to be on crutches and non-weight bearing for 6 weeks to give the grafts time to heal and bind. I've kind of accepted this now, but no weight at all????
2. He also said no driving for 6 weeks either......now that is making me climb the walls. I've been to rehab 5 times so far and can already bend my knee to 90 degrees and straighten. I'm doing leg lifts, step over, etc....etc. Anyway I can get in and out of the car OK and drove down the street using 2 feet......bad one to accelerate, good one to brake, all with no issues. I'm supposed to start back to work tomorrow and am wondering if I should just drive myself or borrow rides from some folks for a few weeks.
3. Lastly....OS told me with this severe an injury, my knee would be about 50-60% in about 6-8 months and not !00% until about 13 months plus. That's a looonnnnnnnnnnngggggg tunnel!!!!!!

Thanks in advance.

Alan

Offline Colin Buckingham

• Regular Poster
Re: New member...... R knee "terrible triad"
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 12:07:49 AM »
Do everything they tell you! dont take any risks.

Aa terribile triad is a big injury and should be treated with a big respect. weeks may seem long but your life is years so dont risk anything and slow down.

PS Ive done the same injury than you and more ( minisicus,ACL and articular cartiledge all in one)
ACL reconstruction left knee March 2007
CMI implant left knee May 2008

Offline AUsubmariner

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: New member...... R knee "terrible triad"
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 11:47:10 PM »
Alan:

I had a very simular injury about 20 years ago, back then it took me almost a year to get off of the crutches and canes. Please do what your Doc says and be faithful to your rehab. I reinjured my ACL and had a devil of a time for a decade. My last ACL revision was a decade ago and is still holding strong. 

Good luck!!!!!