Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: trochleoplasty  (Read 4246 times)

Offline missxr

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: trochleoplasty
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2008, 09:37:45 PM »
hello again
    i hope you had some success with your boss to get some time off to go on holiday, have you decided where to go yet? We haven't been to New York yet we go at the end of November can't wait i'm so looking forward to it. you seemed to have such knowledge about knee problems i hope your one is a complete success and that you don't have to have your other one done. how long were you out of action for and how long on crutches? how long until you were able to drive? i am having 3 weeks of work then all the children are all back i'm a childminder so can't have anymore time. sorry to ask so many questions xx

Offline bluebutler

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2008, 04:33:11 PM »
Hello. I've just searched Trochleoplasty on Google and found your discussion and felt it was really helpful. I had a private consultation with Mr Donell yesterday and he recommends I have a trochleoplasty on my right knee as the dome on my femur where the femoral groove should be is 7mm high. He explained the procedure etc and was extremely helpful but I'm still unsure whether to go ahead. I think it may be that I'm just scared as I have never had an operation of any kind before. I also couldn't find much information on the internet about the op - it appears to be quite a fledgling procedure. Have you found any literature about the success rate of the op and how long people take to recover to full mobility?
I also don't know whether to go privately or on the NHS. I obviously want the best care available and your horror story of what the physio did to you makes me wince!  :-\ Do you think there is much difference between private and NHS? I can have it done in 2-3 weeks time if I go privately but will have to wait up to 18 weeks if I go through the NHS.
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Offline missxr

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2008, 08:07:23 PM »
Hello
  I'm sorry to hear you are having problems with your knee, i have no choice but to have the op it is my last hope for a normal life as i cannot walk properly. Apparently Mr Donnell is the top guy for this op and the reason you cannot find much info about the op is because few are done, it has a long recovery period and is painful.
How long have you suffered knee problems, what are your symptoms. have you had any other ops? if i were you i would have the op but only you can make that decision, i hope that helps please ask if you need to know any more.

Offline bluebutler

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2008, 12:24:08 PM »
Hi. I first dislocated my right knee in a ballet lesson when I was 15. It has disocated 7 times since and has always been weaker than it should be and very unstable. However, it hasn't dislocated in the last 5 years, but still feels unstable. My symptoms at the moment are generally pain and discomfort. I constantly have a grinding sensation, pain and sound in my right knee. I can't go up and down stairs or hills without pain. I can't wear high heels at all and going downstairs/hill in heels is excruciating. I have had to stop going to the gym recently because I was training to do a 10k run and the running has caused extreme pain in both knees because of the impact. My good knee is now twinging and hurting sporadically because I am compensating for my bad knee by putting more weight on my good one. Both my knees ache when it's a cold or damp day.
The reason I decided to have a consultation with an orthopaedic surgeon was that the pain was stopping me doing things that I should be able to do normally at my age (I'm 27) and I thought, this is only going to get worse with time/age. I want to be able to do normal things like use stairs, walk up and down hills, get dressed up for an evening out and not have to wear flat shoes, go dancing. But I also want to be able to do things that I haven't been able to do since I was 15 - go hiking, go skiing, run long distances, play sports etc - without being in pain.
However, I've read other people's stories on here and they are much worse than I am - constant dislocations and hardly able to walk without pain. I'm not this bad and I wonder whether going through such a major operation is a step too far for someone with my not-so-serious problems. If I could have a guarantee that once I've recovered from this op I'll be able to do all the things I've ever wanted to do, I'd do it in a heartbeat. But I'm worried that because I don't have extremely severe problems at the moment, the op won't make things better for me.
I would just like to know whether there has been anyone with my level of problems who has had this op and if they've gone on to play sports, run etc.
I suppose I'd also like to know what will happen to my knees if I don't have the op.
As you can probably tell, I'm completely back and forth at the mo and need some more info. I guess I could contact Mr Donell and ask him these questions, it's just he's such a busy man, I don't want to take up his time.
Anyway, thanks for letting me ramble on at you. I hope all is well with you and your perparations for the op.

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2008, 12:36:55 AM »
Hi bluebutler,

I've had a lot of problems with patella instability over more than a 15 year period.

In May I had a trochleoplasty on my left knee and haven't looked back since. I can now walk without my knee cap coming out and sleep ok now as it used to come out in my sleep.

It is almost 6 months post-op and I am going to pilates twice a week, hydro pool and doing some walking which I couldn't do before. I am hoping to do some kind of sport, but not sure yet. I may need the other knee done as well. I am hoping to start back in the gym soon.

Definitely contact Mr Donnell if you have any further questions. It is a big operation and you really need to understand the implications of it fully. I would go privately rather than public. I think you get better treatment and the physios generally have a much better idea.

Good luck.
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair
22/05/08 - LK Trochleoplasty
11/02/10 - RK Trochleoplasty
07/03/11 - RK Chrondroplasty

Offline bluebutler

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2008, 11:02:36 AM »
Hi kjwilkin,

thanks for your advice. I've contacted Mr Donell with a list of questions and am now just waiting for a response. I'll be guided by his replies.
I'm glad to hear that the op has seemed to work for you and that you're making such a good recovery. It really does sound like it's an amazing op - I just hope it'll work for me.
I shall let you all know what I decide to do once I've heard back from Mr Donell.
Best wishes
x

Offline missxr

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2008, 07:15:08 PM »
Hello all
   have you been holiday you are feeling kjwilkin did your boss let you have the time off? when is your appointment with your surgeon about your other knee? i'm glad your feeling so much better since your last op, getting my life back is what i'm looking forward to just to be able to climb stairs walk for a lenght of time without pain, its not to much to ask is it.
Bluebutler what questions have you asked Mr Donell i'm interested in his answers, do you live locally to the norfolk and norwich? i'm about 40 miles away. i will let you know how i get on when i go to see him next for my pre assessment, i have lots to ask him then xx 

Offline bluebutler

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2008, 04:20:02 PM »
Hi missxr,
Yes, I live near King's Lynn in Norfolk (about 1 hour from Norwich). I asked him the following questions although I'm still waiting for a reply because he was out of the country all last week:
•   What will happen to my knees if I don’t have this op – will they get worse?
•   As my problems are not as severe as some people’s, will this make a dramatic difference for me? Have other people with non-dislocation but pain gone on to play sports etc?
•   What is the success rate or where can I find this out?
•   Where can I find out more about the procedure?
•   How long before I am able to a) walk without crutches b) drive c) run/go to the gym?
•   What is the post-op programme of care, ie: how much physio will I need and how many consultations with Mr Donell?
•   Whist in hospital how immobile will I be? Will I be able to use the bathroom?
•   I know I will have an epidural in hospital but what pain control will I have when I go home?
•   How big is the incision and will I have a scar?
Perhaps some of these things sound silly, but I want to fully know what I'm letting myself in for and what outcome I can expect. Yes, please let us know how you get on and if you get any further information. Good luck with it all xx

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2008, 09:50:20 AM »
Hi bluebutler & missxr,

Bluebutler, they are all really good and important questions to ask. Every OS has a different protocol but I was on crutches straight after my op and did not need to wear a brace. I was only off work for 3 weeks. That was because I was able to do some work from home and went back part time initially.

Missxr, my boss has finally given me the time off for a break in early December. I am planning to go to Coffs Harbour and the Myall Lakes. Am having fun organising it at the moment.

The last couple of weeks have been pretty tough. I had to see an independent OS as part of the TAC claim I have from the car accident I had last year. He was incredibly rough with both knees and can hardly walk at the moment. I ended up in hospital last Sunday night as my pain got out of control. I got discharged on Monday and saw my sports physician on Monday. He gave me the week off work to get the pain under control and emotionally recover from the appointment. The appointment I had with the independent OS was horrendous. He was rude, obnoxious, was questioning the treatment I had been given by my OS and sports physician. I am putting in a formal complaint about him. Not letting the bastard get away with it. Have never been in sooooo much pain with my knees. I never have swelling but have had swelling with both knees from the stupid OS I saw. The TAC are also investigating him.

I go back to see my OS on Wednesday. Can't wait to see what he says. Just pray I haven't done any major damage. It just worries me that my knees are still swollen and been in so much pain.
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair

Offline bluebutler

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2008, 12:14:18 PM »
Hi kjwilkin,

gosh, I'm so sorry to hear what you've been through - it sounds awful! I hope he gets the reprimand he deserves and that you get a proper apology. I'm sure he won't have done any damage but I bet your OS was angry when he heard wasn't he?!

I've decided to go ahead and I've got a date for my op - 22nd November (one week tomorrow!). Needless to say I'm quite aprehensive about it. But it's great to hear that you only needed to take 3 weeks off work. I too can work from home, but I'd like to get back to the office asap. How long post op were you able to walk without crutches? And when were you able to drive again?

Also, how long does the op take - any idea? Were you quite drowsy for the rest of the day or were you quite alert after a couple of hours? My hospital sent me a pre-op pack but it didn't have any info in it about the op.

Best wishes x

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2008, 11:38:30 PM »
Hi Bluebutler,

I am currently going through the process of putting in formal complaints against the doctor I had to see for the assessment for the Transport Accident Commission. I now have a lawyer and am waiting for him to check the letter and make some recommendations about it. Then, it will be sent to the TAC. They still haven't paid loss of income as a result of his rough examination. Apparently they have to wait for a response from him first. My doctor is away on holidays but am going to get him to write a letter confirming there was an injury to my left knee as a result. I saw my OS about a week and a half ago and he was not impressed.

Good to hear you have decided to go ahead with the op. I was on crutches for 8 weeks but I had a set back as I had a car accident 3 weeks after my op. My OS said I would be on crutches for 2 to 4 weeks. It did surprise I was on crutches for so long though. I was back driving within about 2 weeks I think.

The operation takes about an hour to an hour and a half. When I woke up I was initially very drowsy but then was quite alert.

Let me know if you have any more questions. Only too happy to help.
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2008, 11:10:40 AM »
Hi Bluebutler,

Just wanted to wish you all the best for your surgery on Saturday. Thinking of you heaps. I hope it goes well.

It's not an easy surgery but can make a massive difference to your quality of life.
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair

Offline bluebutler

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2008, 03:04:03 PM »
Hello everyone - I'm back post-op!
Thanks ever so much for your good will messages kjwilkin - it's nice to know when people are thinking of you and willing you on.
I'm 9 days post-op now. I was discharged from hospital last Tuesday. Apart from an excrutiating episode one evening when they took me off the epidural but forgot to give me any painkillers other than paracetamol (!), I had a very good experience in hospital.
I'm walking with a zimmer frame at the mo and am going for my first follow up physio appt tomorrow. The pain is pretty much under control now but my main worry is the amount of flexion I have. They had me on the CPM in hospital which was great and I went up to 95 degrees flexion, but now I would say I only have about 45 degrees. My physio wants me to get to 70 degress by tomorrow! My muscles get very stiff, but it's the pain in my bone that really stops me in my tracks. It 'pops' sometimes and feels like it did when it used to pop back in after a sublux. I know I need to push through the pain but it really does bring tears to my eyes when it happens.
Anyway, I'll let you know how I get on with the physio after tomorrow.
Take care and thanks again. All best wishes,
xxx

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2008, 05:11:41 AM »
Hi Bluebutler,

Glad to hear that you made it through the surgery and are home now.

You should start your own post-op diary.

How did physio go yesterday ? Been thinking of you and wondering how you got on.

Good luck with your recovery. :)
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair