Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Multi-ligament knee injury - advice needed urgently!  (Read 1112 times)

Offline Ewan

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Multi-ligament knee injury - advice needed urgently!
« on: December 01, 2008, 02:12:15 PM »
Hi,
on 9 November I badly injured my knee playing rugby. I received my MRI scan results on this Friday just gone. It turns out that I dislocated the knee, causing the ACL and PCL to rupture. There is also damage to the meniscus, the MCL and the structure at the back of the knee.
In addition, looks like I have a fracture of the tibia too.
Worst thing was I was originally sent home from A&E walking with a "slight knee strain".
I have CT scan to look at the fracture this Thursday. My consultant says he will need to operate when the results of the CT scan are back. My fear is that he has said that I won't be able to play rugby again and will struggle to run. I am very active so am extremely concerned.
Is it worth me getting a second opinion on this? Who is best to see ( I am in SE or London area)? Has anyone recovered from this type of injury to play sport again?
Very worried, so any advice would be great.
Thanks
Ewan

Offline irishal

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Multi-ligament knee injury - advice needed urgently!
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 01:28:15 AM »
I'm curious to see what the responses to your question are. I just had surgery Nov 14th for the "terrible triad" of grade 2 tears of ACL & MCL and grade 3 tear of LCL. I did mine playing soccer. My OS is pretty happy with the surgery, but is being VERY conservative in the rehab and recovery. He flat out told me that if I was a professional athlete my career would be over. My OS is the surgeon for the US Olympic Ski team and has seen an injury or 2 in his time. I asked about what sports I could be able to do and he said "Pretty much cycling is about it.....13 months or so from now".
Needless to say I'm pretty bummed about it.

Alan

Offline MD-F

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 10:28:53 PM »
Hi Ewan

First off am really sorry to hear about your injury and your misdiagnosis.
Ask your GP to refer you to an OS who understands knees (most hospitals have "a hip man" and "a knee man") another alternative is looking on the internet - I worked for a fantastic knee surgeon, he only carries out private work now, and is based just outside of london, I would be happy to PM you with his details, you can then look him up on the internet.

The most important thing is to rest it keep using ice and pain killers (if needed)
Good luck

MD-F

Offline Ewan

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 12:03:45 PM »
Thanks for the advice MD-F. Could you please PM me the name of the OS.
Thanks

support