Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Femoral Derotational Osteotomy  (Read 3762 times)

Offline jennylynn

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: Femoral Derotational Osteotomy
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2008, 03:37:19 PM »
Hi,  Keep the questions coming. I will try to do my best and answering them.  I know having this surgery was a scary decision for me.  My right leg gave me the most problems with pain and dislocations.  I also had issues with rolling my right ankle, and tripping on that ankle (I believe just due to the aligmnent and getting the turned out foot caught up on things).  When I went to get the right leg fixed, I let Dr. T tell me what he was going to do, and never really inquired about the right femur being rotated.  Now that the right tibia is done, I do notice I have a slight rotation in the right femur as well.  I am going to ask him about that when I see him next week. It doesn't seem to be significant, and my right leg, compared to before, is amazing.  I did not have any b4 pictures taken, however, he did say he was going to take after pictures next week.  I do know he rotated the rt. tiba 50 degrees.

As far as driving, my 6 week mark is next week, and I don't forsee that as being an issue.  When I saw Dr. T at the three week mark, he told me to put a little bit of weight on the operative leg, and increase the weight each week unless it got real sore.  I am surprised at how well I am doing with this.  I still use the crutches.. but I am walking with them, with both legs.. if that makes since.  I will know more next week.  I may have been able to drive somewhat sooner, but I am off work, and didn't ask.

The rotation on my left femur is 44 degrees.  When I initially saw Dr. T, I only asked about the right leg, as I really was scared to even have that done.  I did not have dislocations of the left knee, just the pain so I didn't fuss.  Now that I see the improvement with the right tibia, I asked about the left leg, and expressed my concerns with great pain issues.  (I would hate to have my right leg fixed, then still not be able to do things becuase the left leg hurts)  I kind of feel that since I am going to have to rehab for a year, do the all the legs now so I am not rehabing one for one year, and the other for a year later... if that makes sense...

I should know more information next week, when I see him for the 6 week check-up... I should then start therapy as well.  I am getting some knee pain under the knee cap, and the leg is sore, but overall, it really is not bad.   Hope this helps... send any more ?'s my way...

Have a good day today...
10/06/08 right tibial derotation
01/29/09 left femoral derotation

Offline jennylynn

• Regular Poster
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2008, 04:31:11 AM »
I saw Dr. T today for my 6 week check up.  He said I was doing well, and that I could rehab the leg by myself by going to the gym.  I opted for 6 weeks of PT to get me started.  Other than that, he said that it would be sore for about 3-4 months or so... and that was pretty much it!  My next surgery is at the end of January, and he said we will go from there... so it is back to work, and driving, and business as usual I guess, with a sore, but straight "new leg" as I like to call it  ;D.   Hope all is well with everyone.

Alyce, any more thoughts about what you are going to do??
10/06/08 right tibial derotation
01/29/09 left femoral derotation

Offline FormerlyActive

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2008, 04:16:02 AM »
Hi Jen
Thanks for the info. Sounds like you are doing so well. Dr. T must be very pleased. Funny with my right tibia turnout I also have had lots of sprains etc., but I just thought it was normal and I have tiny ankles. It must be due to the poor foot position.

That sounds very sensible re your decision to use this time wisely, good for you! When I had my LRs I decided to do them both at once, although hard, I couldn't handle one per year then the other one.

What do you do that you are able to get off work? That is awesome. Also, I don't suppose you have any idea what the surgery cost? I am out of network (or rather MI is out of network for me) so just wondering.

It will be very interesting to see what they have you do for PT. Do you feel any more strain on the left side?

Take care and keep us posted, would love to see your pictures. Best healing wishes.
3/82 - Medial Synovial Plica removal both knees
9/89 - Lateral Release both knees
3/08 - Reinjury left knee hiking Asia Pac
5/08 - Miserable Malalignment diagnosis
4/08 - 9/08 Five doctors diff. opinions
7/08 - 02/09 - In PT, no chg.
4/09 - Dr. 6 opinion femur & tibia derotation together