Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Who knows  (Read 1021 times)

Offline farryo

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Who knows
« on: August 16, 2003, 05:31:20 AM »
Just found this site tonight and I hope that someone can help me.  I am so, so, so depressed.  I will try to make my story as short as possible so here goes.  

For the past 6 months, I have had "terrible" right knee pain.  Went to PMD and was told of chondromalacia patellae.  Given, Vioxx, Celebrex, Mobic to no avail.  

Then, 3 weeks ago went to one of the "best" orthopods in my area, (who says).  Saw 4 doctors who quickly, quickly agreed it was an ACL tear.  Recommended an MRI and gave me a cortisone and marcaine injection into the knee.  This helped some, but not a great deal.  

Had MRI last Saturday.  Doctor's office finally called today and said the doctor has reviewed your MRI and you do NOT have an ACL tear.  You have "softening of the meniscus".  

I asked them what could be done and she said the doctor would call me on Monday to further discuss this and options.  

Boy, what a shocker for me.  I thought I had a "quick fix" with 4 doctors in the room and all just "99% sure" that I had a "classic" ACL tear.  

Here are my symptoms:  Right knee pain, constant in nature, cannot squat for any amount of money, wakes me up at night hurting, nothing helps, can't get in and out of my car, can't go up a hill, can't walk on uneven ground, and have to a wear a hot and stupid Wal-Mart brace to hold myself up.  

To make a long story short, I am about as "low" tonight as I can be.  I see no light at the end of the tunnel for me and I am sick and tired of  being told 50 different stories.  I absolutely cannot accept the fact that I will just have to "live with this" the rest of my life.  I don't plan on it!

I would rather have my leg taken off than have to live like this.  It is aggravating and humiliating.  I am so sick of wearing tennis shoes.  

I am a 47 year old female, not overweight at all, not exceptionally active, but a good worker, and very active in yard work, etc.  I do have a desk job everyday, but when the desk job closes, I am up and moving for several hours thereafter.  

Could someone please give me some sensible advice before I go crazy?  I am so, so down about this.  I feel like there is no hope for me.  I just don't want to live my life like this!

Thanks anyone and everyone who can tell me something!

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
Re: Who knows
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2003, 05:39:48 AM »
First of all welcome to the board, sounds like you have come to the right place.
Well I know about the being SO LOW...you can't see teh light. I am there tonight myself. I know how frustrating it can be, to not have answers...that you want.
I don't have the same problem as you...exactly but..I can totally relate.
I am 23 years old and I have had PF (patella Femoral) and Chondro (Chondromalacia) for about 14 or 15 years of my...seemingly short life. I go through my ups and downs.
I know how you feel....and you just need to keep marching on...searching for answers and solutions to your problems.  Maybe it is time that you look into a different sort of brace.  But first you need to find out exactly what the diagnosis is. Once you know what you are dealing with exactly...you'll be better prepared to start your search.  A great Brace company is Breg.com. They make awesome braces..I don't work for them...but I wear their PTO braces...I coudln't live without them.
For now, rest, RElax...lot's of ice and baby yourself.  Don't do things..that hurt your knee,,, if you can help it. ;)
I know that this is very hard for you...I am there too...but that's the great thing about this board we can all get through this together.
Keep your spirits up, the more you let this get you down...the harder it is to manage it, well.
Experience isn't what happens to you, it's what you do with what happens to you. ;)]
HUgs HOpe and wishes for a better less painful morning
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
Re: Who knows
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2003, 10:52:00 PM »
I can sympathasize with thinking there was an "easy" answer only to find out it wasn't what you thought. It happens all the time. On the other hand, MRIs are notoriously untrustworthy. Sometimes there's just no way to really tell what is going on besides going in and looking at the knee. There is someone in PT with me who went in to have his meniscus trimmed and came out of surgery with microfracture. He thought he'd be on crutches for 2-3 days, and ended up with strict non-weightbearing for 6 weeks! Wait and see what your doctor says. It may still turn out to be an ACL after all. Just make sure to question him about if he thinks the MRI is more accurate than his original diagnosis.

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

support