Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Conformis iForma post-op (in UK)  (Read 16120 times)

Offline bikerblair

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Conformis iForma post-op (in UK)
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2011, 08:26:21 PM »
I am now two years out from Right medial  Iforma implant. I still have pain with every step but it does not keep me from doing what I want excpet for running. I still can't run. For most of us with Iforma implants the question is how long do we keep them before going to the next step?This of course is highly subjective. I wish I could run but even a total knee replacement would not guarantee i could run , nor would running be advised.  I am just tired of pain with every step . I hear stories of post TKR patients bragging about no pain but my surgeon reminds me that I might be the one who gets a complication such as infection  post TKR. He thinks I should just live with the pain until It changes my current activity level. Such a quandary?

Offline Osprey

• Regular Poster
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2011, 02:33:44 PM »
You are right running is painful.
Every time I use stairs there is pain, I travel every week and going up / down flights of stairs with a suitcase & laptop bag certainlkt reminds me of knee problem on every step., and for me (key) there is pain when I waterski & wakeboard ........

I put up with it, and it is better than before the op.

I do get a distinct feeling of bruising on medial side of knee after waterskiing, this is painful to thumb pressure, this extends about 4" down Fibula
Also get same on Lateral side (iforma side) but much more localised .. mainly head of Femur (I guess)

There is swelling on Lateral side ... but that goes after about 72 Hrs.
In the days after skiing there is significant stiffness and moderate pain  .... but I put up with it.

I take no pain killers.

I really miss not being able to kneel down and sit on my heels ... it is a significant 'handicap' to having the iForma device, and has stopped one of my main pastimes completely (kneeboarding)

I Have noticed that if I put both feet up, on my operated leg the knee sits a couple of inches higher ... the leg is obviously not extending to 180 deg, I can push it down (by muscle action - not with hand pressure) but it certaiinly does not stay there when relaxed. 

Like you I don't know hat the future is ... how long will it last, and what is next step,
I saw a great programm on YV where they were using STEM cells to re-grow a knee ......... now that would be wonderful, but guess I'll be dead before that arrives.

Offline Osprey

• Regular Poster
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2013, 10:02:48 AM »
OK ... now 5yr post-op, so time for an update.

No deterioration ... and if anything improvement, perhaps I have just learned to live with it.
I still can't run ... impact stress does hurt, severe sharp jarring pain .... but I can walk all day. Standing for a long time is uncomfortable, and for example if queuing for a flight for some time and then several hrs in a seat where i can't straighten out leg will result in limping & pain after the flight ... at least until I can walk it off.
Walking up and down stairs I do as fast as anyone else, although coming down I do feel the pressure on my knee with each step .... ends of the bone do get bruised.  Kneeling for any reason is something that is uncomfortable, and painful if I do it for a long time.
I swim 3-4 times a week with no problems, throughout summer I Waterski, Skyski, Wakeboard ... but as previously explained I can no longer kneeboard.

I drive with no problem, (manual box) .. I do find working on ladders an issue ... going up and down is fine, but staying still for example to paint ... I suppose it's like standing still with attitude.
I also scuba dive ... drift diving is fine, but if I have to fin against the current, my knee clicks loudly, along with a 'jerk' with each fin stroke, and a bit of pain with each stroke as well....... I may look at split fins to try & ease knee stress.

The only real times I get significant pain are if I slip and hyper extend knee in front of me ..... for example of a slippery floor ....   even without falling over, the hyperextension is damn painful.
The other one which used to be frequent but now rare, is when walking .. on occasions I would not lift my leg high enough and heel for example would catch on a kerb while crossing a road ... that was also very painful  (assume it's sudden upwards jarring)

I take no painkillers or anti-inflammatory drugs, only Chondroitin/Glucosamine tablet daily and until recently an Hyaluronic tablet daily.

In conclusion .... I'm glad I had it done ......... expectation was it would delay knee replacement by 10 yrs, and I'm halfway to that point    :)

Understand iForma has been discontinued - so not sure if there is an alternative

Offline Osprey

• Regular Poster
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2016, 01:26:44 PM »
8 years on - Knee occasionally locking up due to crepitus on patella and a new medial meniscal tear .. resulted in follow up arthrocopy in Apr 2015
Tear removed and rear of patella debrided.

All OK until Nov 2015 when without trauma woke up one day with intense pain in knee, very painful Quadriceps and difficulty walking down stairs, getting up from seated position and inability to kneel. The knee feel like it has a steel wire going diagonally across it under the patellar restricting movement. Frequently locking up.

Further visits to surgeon .. have advised grade 3 changes over trochlea and patellar, and very rough patello femoral articulation.
Consideration now is further surgical procedure - a patello fermoral replacement (patello femoral arthroplasty)

However the iPD to femoral position is very good, no deterioration - so it has done its job well.

support