Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Conformis iForma post-op (in UK)  (Read 16106 times)

Offline Osprey

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: Conformis iForma post-op (in UK)
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2009, 05:16:25 PM »
Cybex machine made very significant difference to quads ... and the whole stability improved - esp walking down stairs carrying heavy objects etc.

I do sometimes get a 'painful' night, will wake up and the knee is aching due to position it has been in, but I 'll just put up with that I guess.

I just did a week scuba diving - and not a single problem, which was good ... thought getting up ladder in lumpy seas might have been an issue. (it was in March)

Went water skiing yesterday, I can ski ... which I suppose surgeon would say is good result ... but rough water certainly causes 'stabbing' pains in knee  .. typically you flex knees  to absorb impact of rough water, and now this is not so easy .. it's as if knee has lost the 'shock absorber' capability.

maybe there will be some new medication tablet or jab, which will calm the knee down .... can only hope   :)

Offline Osprey

• Regular Poster
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2010, 08:23:36 PM »
Thought I'd give an update at +12 months

I have no problem with walking, cycling, swimming etc. ..... knee is stable and full strength back in quads.

About 6 weeks ago, there seemed to be a 'relapse' , my leg would not straighten, when I eventually forced in straight there was a loud clunk, and all walking on it for a few days gave a noticeable clicking from under the kneecap (audible to others).
The knee had significant swelling to the rear, and general discomfort on raising form sitting at any time.However it has since returned to 'normal' apart from considerable 'crunchiness' from under the knee cap.
I had a 12 month check up recently, and surgeon seemed keen with progress ............ and has put me on 2 x 400mg Ibuprofen for 3 months, with a review at that time.

In general I can walk as fared as fast as I like, scubadive, waterski , etc. .... although I can't ski for too long on rough water. (see previous post)
Kneeling is an issue as I still can’t knee back (to sit on my heels)  my knee will not bend that far ... this is the biggest issue for me, it makes working on my boat, DIY and some sports very difficult.

I do get some pain at night, and also if I stand still for long (good excuse to get out of shop queues with wife) .... a real pain (pun intended) when checking in at airports.
Surgeon is going to look at options of possible injections into the knee ...to  assist things further, will find out at 3 month point.

Offline bikerblair

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2010, 04:47:12 PM »
Thanks for th 12 month update, Not much information on this procedure anywhere. I am 8 months out and although I am active ,I still hurt more than before surgery.  Can you go up and down stairs without pain? My pain is severe on stairs and I find myself going 1 step at a time, yet I can ride a bike with very little pain. I did a 150 mile (2 day) ride with my brother last fall ,not much problem , but I cant walk without limping? Do you limp? Did  you notice any improvement from 6 months to 1 year before you had the setback?
I also had a pop from knee cap from time to time but not audible to those around me. I am amazed you are able to waterski, I think the would hurt a great deal. I tried running just to see if I could and it was so painful my leg gave way, just can't tolerate that much pressure. Feels like bone on steel. Range of motion is fair but I can't kneel either.

Your updates are my barometer that gives me hope. Thanks  , Blair.

Offline Osprey

• Regular Poster
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2010, 06:28:58 PM »
Walking up stairs is no problem, I can feel pressure on knee .. but not really any pain.
Coming downstairs if no handrail, is a bit 'lumpy', where I'm stepping down on good leg and all weight is on op knee, the movement is quicker and my foot hits tread a bit harder ... so less smooth, especially if carrying heavy weights.

I do a lot of scuba diving, and find going down steps with a lot of kit on (about 30Kg / 70Lb) my back - makes for lumpy step down - esp as mentioned if no handrail.

I notice sometime the kneecap will pop walking up stairs ..if I don't fully extend leg it doesn’t pop ... so on occasions when it starts, I avoid fully extending leg on each step ... assuming that popping kneecap on each step would cause aggravation.

I find work on ladders a bit of a pain (pun intended) .. going up is OK .. but if I have a heavy load then tend to do the one step at a time routine, strangely coming down is Ok.
Standing still on ladder for a while does become painful .. and swelling behind joint that evening is usual.

No pain medication for 90% of the time ... although Dr. has asked me to take Brufen 400mg for 3 months to see if kneecap 'crunchies' will reduce.
He is looking at whether injecting the knee to aid lubrication is an option ... he has not done this with Conformis implant.
I will be honest and say that there is not a day that it doesn’t hurt at some point, but it’s much better that before the op.
Biggest single issue is not being able to sit back on my heels when kneeling ... wish I could resolve this.
If you want to know anything else feel free to contact any time

Offline bikerblair

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2010, 09:16:59 PM »
So you do have some pain? I guess that is some comfort to me, strange as it may seem. Pain is so subjective. I will have to continue trying to ignore it. I also have more problem going down stairs, particulary if there is no handrail. It is a very quick and awkward step. I am hoping that perhaps ,over time, the implant will conform even better to the space and further releive pain. I just feels wrong , bad fit or something.
I have had two steroid injections in my knee since surgery. These were within the first 3 months in an effort to reduce some swellling I had. I do not think they helped much for pain  but the swelling gradually resolved.
I will check in from time to time to see how you are doing.  I would like to know how long your implant will suit you. It is hard to imagine I could last 10 years with current level of pain.

Offline Osprey

• Regular Poster
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2010, 11:45:22 PM »
Implant assumed/supposed to be good for 10years.

I do get a permanent dull pain at top of Tibia ... and if I press a thumb against it it feels bruised .... Dr. advised this is due to pressure the steel puts on to the bone.
Not sure what long term prospect is for this, will it reduce or get worse.

I have had a few very significant stabbing pains when I turned or stepped suddenly, quite intense pain at the time.

I have a high pain threshold and I suppose I just accept it and get on with it, certainly no limping with normal walking and I used to have serious limp after sitting for a any length of time - that has now gone.  I try not to let the knee stop me doing things.

I did have cortisone injections on a previous op on knee .. but heard they don't like giving more than 2 as it causes ligament damage.

Been reading up on Hyalauronic Acid inter articular injections which are supposed to give good results as viscosupplements ... I'll ask the Doc about these at 3 month point.

Offline SADA

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2010, 09:22:20 PM »
Tomorrow will mark 5 weeks since I had my iforma surgery.  It has been a very frustrating situation just because know one can give me precise info.  I need to know expectiations to be able to handle everything mentally.  I am still taking meloxicam twice a day and hydrocodone every 6 hours.  Three times a week I am doing pt for  about 90 minutes and I do the bike for about 30 minutes and stretches for another 30 minutes the days that I don't go to pt.  I would do it again at the thought of being more active and pain free but not having any answers is so frustrating.  My pt doesn't even know what to tell me.  Everyone says be patient and that I am doing great.  I had know ideal how big of a deal this would be.  At my last doctor's visit, he let me know that even though the scars are small, the surgery is major.  I just wish we could get more info out of Conformis.  I have gotten more info from this site than from any where else.

Offline Osprey

• Regular Poster
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2010, 11:51:53 AM »
6 weeks was the turning point ... as long as you are pushing hard at physio, there should be significant improvement at this point.

Now +13 months for me.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 09:19:24 PM by Osprey »

Offline SADA

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2010, 05:32:05 PM »
I hope I see a big change after one more week.  I am working my tail off in pt.  I finish in more pain and limping a lot more than when I started.  Thanks for the support.  I had know ideal how big of an ordeal this would be or how much it would hurt. Thanks for the info!!!  You have been the best resource yet.

Offline elizabethb

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2010, 06:05:38 PM »
I am had bilateral Conformis iForma surgery on 09.17.09 so it has been almost 5 months.  I too have been frustrated with my progress while my MD and PT tell me I am doing fine.  I can finally walk unassisted most of the time.  I still take a cane with me for long distances.  I don't have much pain but I did in the beginning.  I had a second surgery on my left knee due to infection so that set me back.  At 5 weeks I was barely able to leave the house.  I had in home PT but it wasn't very challenging.  I had no idea it would take so long to get back to "normal".  Part of my problem has been that I became so inactive prior to the surgery and both of my legs were not straight.  My right leg especially was out of alignment.  So all of the sudden implants in both knees - after surgery I was 1 1/2 inches taller - and all my tendons and ligaments were in shock.  I sincerely feel that my procedure is a success but again I need to emphasize that my recovery has been slow.  I used a walker for 2 1/2 months.  Then I went to this heavy clawfoot cane that I used for about 6 weeks.  Then to a regular cane that I still keep with me most of the time.  This certainly hasn't been the 3-4 week process described in the Conformis brochure for patients that you can download from their website.  However I was weight bearing right after surgery and both of my surgeries were done as OP.  I was admitted to the hospital after the second surgery as I aspirated my stomach contents and had other complications.  I see my MD on Monday 02.15.10 and it is my goal to walk into his office unassisted.  I still have some work to do on my form or gait.  And I tire easily.  I have not been that active in more than a year now so I guess that is to be expected.  I too am frustrated with the lack of information.  This website has been a godsend.  I recently heard from a lady who had bilateral iFormas put in in August and she wasn't getting along too well.  I still have work to do on stairs.  I go up slowly and still use my arms to pull quite a bit.  Going down stairs I still do a step at at time putting my left foot first.  I really don't have a weaker or stronger leg at this point.  However became accustomed to babying my right knee prior to surgery so I find myself doing that sometimes.  If either of you or anyone else with info on the Conformis iForma would like to email me directly - [email protected]  I look forward to keeping in touch. - Beth

Offline SADA

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2010, 03:44:41 AM »
I would love to know how active people are being with the iforma.  I am sceduling a benefit softball tournament the weekend of April the 16th that I hope to play in.  January 6th was my surgery date.  Thanks!!!

Offline elizabethb

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2010, 06:28:46 PM »
Osprey - I just reread your posts - I am almost 8 months out from bilateral iForma surgery.  I was on top of the world and having my best days yet then I seemed to suddenly come down with a very sore right knee.  My OS is not concerned and tells me it will pass.  I was especially interested in your description of the pain you feel toward the top of your knee cap - I think this is what I have.  Maybe I was just too active and pulled something.  Nothing feels sore when I poke on my knee.  I just have soreness and pain when I walk. 

Please update your progress and if you have been unfortunate to have any set backs I would be very interested in details.  My OS tells me that setbacks are just part of the recovery.

Thanks!!!

Beth

Offline Osprey

• Regular Poster
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2010, 11:03:28 PM »
Been asked for update so I'll give one.

OK ... OP  +2 years      52 Yr old male.

9 months ago (Jan) I mentioned continual bruised sensation ... which Surgeon advised was pressure of iForma on to head of bone (Fibula?)  .. this has now disappeared..
The sharp pain under kneecap also gone  ... maybe it all just had to ‘polish’ into a good fit.
The ‘stiffness’ after sitting or being in bed ... which took a few minutes to ‘walk off’ has cleared fully.
I had about 6 weeks of significant discomfort in bed, back 5/6 months ago ... but this has also disappeared.

I take no prescription medication at all, just Glucosamine/chondroitin and hyaluronic acid supplement.
As mentioned in previous post – I did ask Surgeon about hyaluronic gell injection ... but he advised that Conformis do not approve this.

I get no pain as such at any time, even during the night which was a problem for a while.

I can feel there is 'something' there and I do take care when getting into kneeling position or for example in awkeward position under a car or simialr.

My knee will move well past the 90 degree position  ,,, estimate 135 degree .. at which point I get what feel like cord or similar under kneecap stopping it going further ... I can pull leg back further if I put pressure on it or pull it back with a strap for example ... but that does cause pain in knee.

I still cannot take a full kneeling position, i.e. my knee will not bend back enough to allow me to sit on heels – so I will never be able to kneeboard again..... Surgeon advised this will not improve as iForma prevents joint from closing fully.
I have found an alternative to kneeboarding – and bought a SkySki ... 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahKeh0e3EwA&feature=related
Having great fun on that, and almost no loading on knee compared to skiing.

I can work in a an ‘upright’ kneeling position, OK on soft surfaces, but on hard surfaces, I need to put some padding (knee pad) under knee as hard pressure on front of knee is uncomfortable

I swim 2 -3 times week, waterski/hydrofoil every weekend, I can row, cycle, walk, all with no problem.
I scuba dive regularly ... and apart from taking care getting up a ladder on a boat that is pitching about – no problems.

I can use treadmills for fast wlaking, but avoid jogging as I can feel joint taking pounding ... and it does not feel good.

If I stand still for a long time it does ache ... I dread queues at airports.

I can work up ladders OK, just need to be careful if I turn from front facing to rear ... to avoid twisting the knee ... it will give a sharp pain if I twist it .......... my surgeon thinks I shouldn’t be up ladders anyway !

Overall the knee is much better than before the op ....... at which point I was severely limping after only a few minutes sitting down.

As previously mentioned my surgery was part of a small trial in the UK, the intent to get the procedure approved.
However as it’s cost was 3 x the price of a replacement knee it was not approved for use.

I have just heard that Conformis have discontinued the iForma, does anybody know why ? ... are there medical reasons ?

« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 11:27:30 PM by Osprey »

Offline bikerblair

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2010, 09:36:42 PM »
Osprey, thanks for your update. I am   56 y/o  post implant 16 months .  I think I have more patellar pain than you do.
I am also active with hiking and cylcing but I am not able to jog at all, even if I try. The pain is severe and I am spastic when I attempt to run. I have about 125  degree flexion and kneeling does hurt as well as stairs. I still walk with a notable limp but the pain with each step is tolerable. I take an antinflamatory only and when I do I feel like I have improved. I was hoping to hear that some improvement is still possible and I also wondered if the patella is wearing a groove when it slides over the implant.

I  emailed Conformis asking about the iforma. I was wondering about how you would image the knee if you wanted to convert to an iDuo bicomaprtmental implant. (CT not MRI) When I asked why the iforma was discontinued I was told it was a "business decision".

thanks, Blair

Offline Osprey

• Regular Poster
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2011, 09:39:28 PM »
Op +32 months ... so thought I'd give another update.

No improvement really in past 12 months, so guess it is as good as it's going to get.
There is not a day goes by when I do not get pain ..... if I sit for a long time with knee bent, I can start limping when I first get up.
Long Haul flights are an issue unless I can straighten my leg and then all is improved.

My knee is very crunchy, I'm sure there is a techy term for this, but if you rest a palm on knee cap you can feel really grating & crunching - significantly.
I'm slightly concerned that the crunchiness, coupled with limping after est was what prompted initial arthroscopy which lead to the IForma surgery.
Wondered if the worn away bones, have now started wearing away on the implant instead.

I still SkySki & waterki, although a 5min run on rough water, has me limping badly next day ... but I'll take that. After hard exercise sessions .. my knee feels decidely brusied below joint, and if I have to wlak up staisrs that will be painful, quite significant ... but settles after 3-4 days.

I take no meds  ... only Chondroitin/Glucosamine, Hyalurnoic acid & Microlactin supplements.

Movement ... extension no longer 180 degrees, reduced by about 5 degree, flexion still at 120 degrees.

I bought a bongo (balance) board and after several days learning, now use it daily ... my 'thoughts' are that it will keep ligamnets tight and make knee more stable, I may be talking rubbish   :)

I see the Surgeon again in Aug .... not sure what next step will be, have a feeling it will be arthroscopy to wash out joint.