Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Conformis iForma post-op (in UK)  (Read 16105 times)

Offline tihstae

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Conformis iForma post-op (in UK)
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2009, 07:46:26 PM »
Thanks for this diary.  I am sort of in the same boat as you but it is my medial compartment.  No meniscus left there and have been wearing a medial offload brace for that last 3 years.  It helps with getting around but I can't walk more than half a mile without 3 days of swelling and extreme pain following. I guess I am lucky that have more range of motion than what you had though. It is just the bone on bone pain that is a killer when it strikes.  It is easier to fall down than to try and stay standing when it happens.

I had the MRI done today for the iForma.  Sounds like you are doing pretty well with this but it is good to know what to expect.

Offline Osprey

• Regular Poster
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2009, 10:37:41 AM »
I had a Ossur Unloader brace - Lateral (damn expensive), it helped, but when I removed it my knee was weak & felt unstable.  Also after an hour it would cut the skin on back of the knee, so much so that wearing 2 days in a row became impossible.

Update on my knee ...

Now roughly 8 weeks post Op.
Still considerable swelling ... esp either side of knee cap, and the soft tissue at back of knee swells up quickly after exercise.
Been building my own house .. and any work on ladders makes my knee swell later & ache.

Not taking any pain medication now, I'll admit I do feel occasional very sharp pain 'under' the knee cap, and occasionally there is a what feels like a misalignment and then everything clunks back into place.
Still uncomfortable at night, occasionally I'll wake up with a sharp pain, having twisted knee as I turned in sleep.

Knee is very stiff first thing in the morning ... reduced movement until I 'walk it off' a bit.

The big noticeable change was being able to return to walking downstairs normally .. after the op you had to do 1/2 steps to avoid relying on bad leg ... at 4 weeks I managed to start walking normally downstairs, but with considerable discomfort .. and a fair degree of pain.
It now just feels like 'it is pulling a bit' in the joint as I walk downstairs ... but have noticed that as a significant improvement.
As is getting in and out of car ... still painful, it does not like the twist motion, but getting better.

Been swimming daily for past 4 weeks, and now also every 3rd day in gym on treadmill, exercise bike, rowing machine etc.
Can now manage an exercise bike (need to grit my teeth for first minute or so).... for first couple of visits the bike was impossible although I could manage the down stroke, as soon as Flexion needed on return stroke it was excruciating.

Sitting at a desk is getting easier ... 2 weeks ago, after as little as an hour at desk, my knee would ache, become very stiff with pronounced limping afterwards.
It's now considerably reduced.

I can walk as far and as long as I want (or so it now seems) which is a huge improvement from 4 weeks ago.

I will be stepping up my exercise, as I have a Scuba Diving holiday booked for end of March .. need full strength by then  :-)

Apart from the piece of paper with the Physio exercise on, I have had no Physio treatment  ... so assume that would not help.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 09:17:09 PM by Osprey »

Offline cboden51

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2009, 03:39:17 PM »
This sounds very good - at 8 weeks your knee is still healing. As far as full strength - sounds like you are well on your way. Did your Physio sheet tell you what to do after you started getting stronger? Connie

Offline Osprey

• Regular Poster
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2009, 03:55:03 PM »
No .. just a basic sheet of exercise .. the one that is still difficult is lying on your back, bend your knee, keep heel on floor and pull it back as far as possible with a rubber strap .... feels like there is a tight band under the knee cap really pulling .. and pain on the lateral side .. near op site.
Still can't get heel to come right back

Offline tihstae

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2009, 10:15:12 PM »
Thanks for the update.  I hope those sharp pains go away soon.  It sounds like they are lessening.  The most encouraging thing you have said is that you an walk as far as you want.  I have not been able to walk even half a mile for the last five years without 3-4 days of swelling, pain, and a limp afterward.

I hear you on the brace.  I hate it and have permanent indentations in my calf and thigh from it.  The straps becomes unbearable.  One of the things that helped me with it was to change out the rubber piece on the back of the calf with a piece of felt.  Most of the cutting went away and it is mostly just always irritated now like a rash.

Offline Osprey

• Regular Poster
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2009, 02:26:11 PM »
Just a small update ... big step recently can now cycle a normal bike with no problems, previously could ride an inclined bike in the gym but not a real bike, the upwards movement of leg was excruciating.
It does cause some pain ... but I can do a couple of miles with no problem.

I can also now do breaststroke when swimming - the 'frog kick' was an impossibility earlier ...

Currently swimming 20 lengths (25m pool) a day, gym twice a week and cycling twice a week ..
So certainly a significant improvement since early post op.

Standing still (queues etc) is still uncomfortable, and flexion movement still takes effort to get full range.

Foe some reason pain at night when in bed has increased ... occasionally get woken up to significant pain usually due to knee being twisted.

It's now 3 months since op ... surgeon advise it would be up to 6 months before it gets as good as it will get.
I'm off on a scuba diving holiday in 2 weeks time - I took a gamble that I would be fit for it, and it's looking good so far.

No medictaion other than asparin  once a day (for anti-clotting)

Offline cboden51

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2009, 02:14:03 PM »
Thanks for the update. Sounds as if you continue to make good progress other than what should be expected!
Connie

Offline Osprey

• Regular Poster
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2009, 04:34:16 PM »
Might be of interest ...
Started attending a weekly Knee Physio class ... the Physio advised range of movement was good but strength was poor, he felt my good leg was compensating for the one operated on.

He then took me through a set of exercise tests on an ISOKINETICS machine .... wow did that make you work.
The results printed out confirmed my good leg was 60% higher strength, but even that was only pushing 30% of body weight ... he wants at least 70%

It did show that my quadriceps to Hamstring ratio was good and they are well matched on both legs, which means  that the work I have been doing on teh legs has had pay off.

It seems the fastest way to build up quadriceps is via the ISOKINETICS machine, so I have now started on a twice a week session on this machine.   Seems like it belongs in a torture chamber .... it really makes you work.

One good thing for me was last week I did a week long trip Scuba Diving in the Red Sea ... and the knee gave me no problem during the diving, which being less than 4 months since op, seems a good result.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 09:37:59 PM by Osprey »

Offline cboden51

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2009, 09:27:11 PM »
Thanks for the update. Sounds like a good plan.
Very cool that you could do the dive with no problems 4 months out!
Connie

Offline Osprey

• Regular Poster
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2009, 09:45:06 PM »
Now at 5 month point.
Update on ISO Kinetics   (on Cybex machine).   Physio has had me doing 2 full sessions on my leg each week.
After 3 weeks the figures shows a 52% increase in strength in my quads/hamstrings ...
The machine really puts you through it, sweat is pouring off me by end of the 15 min session.       It seems to be paying off, it may not suit everyone as you have to work very hard, but you can do it without any impact injury - I'm very pleased with improvement.

My leg is now giving no problem during normal exercise, cycle, swimming, treadmill, rowing, leg press etc .... can now push really hard with no joint pain.
Some clicking under knee cap, and  the joint is definitely 'crunchy' but no pain during use.

I still can't achieve a full quads stretch .. i.e. I can't grab my foot behind my back and pull heel to buttock ... so still some limit to rearwards bending of knee.

Still all seem to be improving well. 
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 09:02:47 AM by Osprey »

Offline cboden51

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2009, 11:39:32 PM »
Hurray for you!

Connie

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2009, 01:40:44 PM »
Sounds like you are doing great!
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline Osprey

• Regular Poster
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2009, 07:53:47 PM »
Now 9 months after Op. 

Fully able to cycle, walk, swim, row, etc.  ... in fact exercise as normal (avoid running) .... I think the serious work on the Cybex machine helped a great deal in 'balancing' the legs.

I can walk up & down stairs no problem, even if my downward movement is a little heavier when load bearing on the op knee.

As it's the summer have been scuba diving frequently ... only had an issue after one long (80 min finning ) session, knee was decidedly uncomfortable and reduced movement slightly for a few days.
I waterski & wakeboard on it every week .. although have been unable to return to kneeboarding.
Waterskiing is restricted in that you use your knees as shock absorbers, and in rough water, there is a limit as to how much I can do this without excessive pain on the knee.
Noticed on some video clips that I am skiing with op leg a lot straighter than no-op leg.

Restricted range of movements -
If I grab foot of non-op leg I can flexion bend it until heel is touching buttocks ... but with op knee I still can't do this, I can get it to about 125 degrees just by flexing the leg muscles, but if I try to push  it back further there is significant restriction at back of knee, and a lot of pain under patella.
Feel like there is a cord or rope going taut and preventing movement.

It is not comfortable to adopt a kneeling position on the floor, and I certainly can't 'sit back' onto heels.
I would love to regain this movement as I could get back to kneeboarding, which I really miss.
haven't seen surgeon for 6 months ... so I'll ask him what I can do to regain movement.

Knee is decidedly 'crunchy' ... and you can feel it grinding if you rest your hand on patella.

I take a daily dose of Chondroitin, MSM, Glucosamine
have not taken any pain killers or anti-inflammatories for 6 months.

I did have a 6 week period at about 6 months post op. ...where it was painful while lying in bed, and I had a pronounced limp on first few steps on getting up ... but that seems to have now disappeared.

At rest my op leg is not as straight as the other, about 5 degreee less, I can keep it straight, but that requires effort.

Even standing up straight (and still) op leg is slightly bent at keee, but as before I can 'force it' straight, but it's not that way by choice   

I would love to learn form anyone of any treatemnt to regain full movement.

My neighbour is an Orthopaedic Surgeon (not knees) ... and we were discussing last night that what we need is the ability to just shine a green light on knee and cure it Star Trek style ... switch on the sub dermal regenerator, set to Oesteo recalcification ... and engage the Flux capacitor.

Guess I'll be long dead before that happens.     :'(

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2009, 02:50:32 AM »
Sounds like you are having great progress.  I wish the Star Trek thing worked too, alot less rehab and no incision!!  You may have another 6 months before everything shakes out completely. 

Milly
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline bikerblair

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2009, 04:21:23 PM »
In regards to regaining full flexion of knee after IPD , my surgeon tells me that any flexion past  120 degress will probably cause what he referred as "booking" of the knee joint. What I understand him to mean is that the joint space begins to open like a book ,perhaps because of pressure on the back of the implant. He said this would probably  result in patellar tendonitis and cause more problems. I would also like to flex my knee past 120  (I can with the same sensation you descibe) but I have quit trying on above information. I am still limping an my quads on op knee are weaker I am going to check out this "cybex machine"/ thanks.