Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Conformis iForma post-op (in UK)  (Read 16102 times)

Offline Osprey

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Conformis iForma post-op (in UK)
« on: November 25, 2008, 10:25:41 PM »
HI … op today, so thought I’d log my progress.

History –

I have had several arthroscopy on knee, resulting in removal of just about all meniscal cartilage.
Last one 10 months ago showed significant loss of bone off head of femur, and on lateral side significant loss of articular cartilage.
As a result of continuing bone on bone damage long leg x-rays show the line between hip to ankle my knee is now 27mm out of line ..

Knee has been graded as Grade 4 Osteoarthritis.

The 2 big issues I have is that if I kneel, I could not sit back onto my heels, pain is significant, and it just won’t bend backwards to allow this.
On sitting (car & train journeys etc) I have significant limping afterwards … which I can ‘walk off after 10 mins or so.
Any significant ‘work’ on ladders, stairs, or walking over rough ground causes swelling especially at rear of knee, and on outer side of joint.  Usually with prolonged pain afterwards.
Also after sports such as waterskiing, wakeboarding, kneeboarding  etc.

I purchased (a very expensive) Ossur Unloader brace, to reduce damage, and help with pain.

Consultant was initially recommending an oestomy realignment, but has now decided upon a Conformis iForma Inter Positional Device insert for lateral side, under controlled research programme - not yet recognised procedure in UK.

3 full sets of MRI scans done and Conformis in US, examined and confirm knee is suitable.

>>>

Day 1
Today went in for the surgery, in S.Wales, UK.
This was under GA …  full arthroscopy clean up of knee, wash out, removal of crud  etc. and then fitting of the iForma
There is a video of this technique at:
www.conformis.com/Physicians/ConforMIS-Patient-Specific-Implants/iForma-Interpositional-Device

Woke up with little pain, just low level ache, presumably due to anaesthetic/pain killer placed directly in joint … I know that Diclofenac was administered during the op.
The worse feeling at that point was my throat … from Intubation, feels like it had been sandpapered, very difficult to swallow even a glass of water.

There was a drain in the knee for first 2 hours, once this was removed – antibiotics injected via catheter (surprised by how much).

Exercise then started straight away with leg extensions, and this was measured as 100 degree to rear and full movement to front.
Some then walking full load bearing with crutches.

Another couple of hours waiting for effects of GA to be fully clear, and sent home with exercise plan from Physiotherapist and a bag of medication …

Aspirin (Dispersible)  - 150mg once daily
Omeprazole – 20mg once daily to be taken with the Aspirin
Ibuprofen    400mg  every 8 hrs
Tramadol    100mg every 6 hrs
Paracetamol  1000mg every 6hrs

Supplied with enough for 10 days at above levels.

Expected appointment with Physio in 2 weeks, and check up with Surgeon in 4 weeks.

At time of writing (12 hours after op) still no real pain, at rest and with full load bearing, soon be time to go to bed … and hope pain keeps off then    :)
Throat is still an issue though – can’t swallow food comfortably.

Offline cboden51

• Forum Faithful
Re: Conformis iForma post-op (in UK)
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 04:34:49 PM »
This sounds wonderful and I am praying for continued good progress for you.  That is too bad about the throat- haven't had that happen except for a procedure many years ago and I remember it being just as you describe but it did get better pretty quickly, if my memory serves me and that is not always the case.

Offline Osprey

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 04:52:25 PM »
DAY 2
OK had good nights sleep which surprised me, only work up once with pain spasm ... where I had tried to roll over, and twisted my knee.

Went for a walk this morning (on crutches) only about 1/2 mile  ... and later did a full set of  the Physio exercises .... and knee certainly aching afterwards.
However it's all about movement so will stick to it.
The lateral  moving of leg to the rear - i.e.sitting on chair and bending leg back as far as possible was the hardest, quite a lot of pain to get it to aprox 100 degrees.

Resting pain is much worse than yesterday, on 0-5 scale is probably around 3, hospital advised I can stop taking Tramadol if I want ... think I'll keep it going for another 48 Hrs. :-\
It may be analgesia put in joint during op has worn off, or because of the exercising.

No stitches or staples to be removed, so won't be going back to see consulatant Mr. Chandratreya for 4 weeks, pleased with him, his approach & explanations.   

« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 05:02:58 PM by Osprey »

Offline cboden51

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 04:27:08 PM »
Sounds like you are doing very well. I went to look at the video and see that you have an incision in addition to the small areas where they put the arthroscope in. How did they close that?

I am sure you are right about the resting pain level being increased in part due to the analgesia injected into the joint wearing off. I noticed the same thing ( I had a PKR Conformis type).

Keep up the good work!

Connie

Offline Osprey

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 05:50:08 PM »
The insert site incision I have been told is closed with dissolving stitches.

it was marked out by surgeon just before op and at that time incision mark was about 3"

Guess I'll find out when I take bandages off on w/end    :)

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2008, 08:21:54 PM »
Good to see you are doing well !

Never heard of this before - hope it does a good job for you - very interesting!

As for the tramadol - get off it as soon as poss - I was on it after my TKR and had the most awful withdrawals from it - no one told me to come off it gradually and I just stopped - to my discomfort !!!!!!
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

Offline Osprey

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2008, 06:05:27 PM »
Day 3
Removed the crepe bandages and the layers of ‘padding’, leaving just the op-site dressings in place.
Knee is pretty swollen … circumference for example is 23” compared to 17” for other knee.
The removal of dressing made it slightly easier to carry out the physio exercises … have, 7 different exercises with 10 reps of each – full set repeated 3 times a day.
The ones that are difficult are –
# Lying on floor and slowly bend up the knee sliding the foot along the floor … using a strap to pull back on the foot to achieve a good ‘bend’
# Sitting on a chair and brining the leg back as far as possible, using the good leg to put pressure on the other to get a good ‘bend’

Both of these exercises cause a fair amount of pain … and a feeling like it’s pulling a band or similar inside the knee on lateral side, and more than once the thought in my head that the iForma might burst out.
Obviously my knee does not like being bent  backwards.

My throat has now returned to normal.

I’m still keeping with same mix & frequency of pain relief medication, I may start reducing this tomorrow.
Walking is a lot easier today, standing still though forces me to shift weight onto good leg.
Trying to use ice at least 4 times a day, and aiming for 2 sessions of 30min where lying down and raising  leg to be higher than heart  … both to try and reduce swelling.

Offline Osprey

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 09:49:14 AM »
1 Week update

(late subission)

At 1 week point I dropped the Tramadol, bad move, about 1/2 day later serious continual throbbing ... so much pain I could not get any sleep that night.
Next day knee was really painful, and walking on it was much more difficult.

After 24 Hrs ... supplemented with Diclofenac, and that eased things ... while I ordered some more Tramadol.

After 48 Hrs back on original regime with Tramdol and pain is now manageable.

Removed dressings ... have 2 small incisions points (Arthroscopy) and a 4" scar down lateral side, sutured area is raised, and reddened, but looking clean and neat.
Put new op-site stick on dressings onto main incision area only.

Carrying out Physio exercise twice a day ... the ones where I have to bend knee backwards are certainly the most painful, but knee is definitely bending further.

Offline Osprey

• Regular Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2008, 11:11:54 AM »
Op + 2 weeks

At this point started trying to get back to normal use, albeit with a significant limp.

Am able to ‘do things’, but resultant pain later in day is then significant, maybe it’s just a symptom of  getting back into using the knee.

On weekend - I did a little work which included a fair amount of stepping up and down (controlled with good leg first on way up bad leg on way down) on to and down from a 24” platform.  Certainly no kneeling.
 I used a Neoprene brace on knee to aid with warmth (-1degeee C today) and stability, seemed reasonably OK at the time ….. wow did I suffer that night.
From early evening worst pain since op, and stayed that way since … really painful when trying to get to sleep - continual ache.

So although I can do more … doing anything means it hurts like hell afterwards, not undertaking any ‘impact’ exercise so hopefully just needs time to get back in work mode.

Did experience sharp pain at arthroscopy incision site, for a couple of hours, but that has disappeared.

If pain does not calm down a bit by tomorrow – will need to think about asking for something else.   Still on:
Aspirin (Dispersible)  - 150mg  + Omeprazole – 20mg   …. once daily
Ibuprofen    400mg  every 8 hrs
Tramadol    100mg every 6 hrs
Paracetamol  1000mg every 6hrs

If I need something more for the pain not sure what would be next logical step up form Tramadol.?

The operation site now has no reddened area, so is healing well, there is a pronounced ¼” ridge along incision line, maybe that is where internal sutures are puckering things up, but all looks a healthy colour.
Swelling overall on knee is not reduced, looks like a large watermelon   :-\

I am still putting on an ice pack twice a day.

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2008, 12:48:45 PM »
osteophyte removal  That alone can cause so much pain 

Looks like a rebirth of a unispacer. Did your OS explain why he rather have you try this than a partial knee replacement?  From reading this it is about saving the bone.  Go ask your GP to provide you something else for relief.  Its been a few weeks and your pain levels are not being met with tramadol.  Why sit and suffer..  Heck you look like your in for one of those long achey recovery's that last for a few months.

Take care you

Offline Osprey

• Regular Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2008, 01:07:47 PM »
osteophyte removal  That alone can cause so much pain 

Looks like a rebirth of a unispacer. Did your OS explain why he rather have you try this than a partial knee replacement?  From reading this it is about saving the bone.  Go ask your GP to provide you something else for relief.  Its been a few weeks and your pain levels are not being met with tramadol.  Why sit and suffer..  Heck you look like your in for one of those long achey recovery's that last for a few months.

Take care you
Surgeon is not a fan of partial knee replacement, he advises they are not that successful, and often lead to a later full replacement.

In my case the medial side and patella were undamaged, but lateral side had category 4 OA.
At time of surgery told that knee looked in hell of a mess when they looked inside ... so only 12 moths after full arthroscopy clean out it had deteriorated significantly.

The OA had caused significant leg misalignment (27mm out of line, I think the figure was) ... the interpositional device allowed the corrcetion of this ... guess I will find out if it has been successful at check up time 1 month on (Jan)

Surgeon also advised that using the iForma IPD, does not remove any bone, and thus does not burn any bridges for any future developments in knees implants or corrections, or indeed a knee replacement at a future date.

So has all things going for it ... just hurts like hell     :-)

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2008, 01:54:53 AM »
Looks like an interesting take on "repair".  If they took off the "spurs" of bone, they are going to be cutting or grinding the bone so it's bound to be quite painful.  They say there is no worse pain than bone pain.  Definately check with your GP about more pain medication.  If these iForms put your knee back into a better alignment you may be having pain from adjusting to a more normal alignment.  Hope your pain is getting better for you.  At least I hope you can get it to tolerance levels.

Milly
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline Osprey

• Regular Poster
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2008, 03:31:00 PM »
Op + 4 weeks

Movement is considerably better, can now walk with an almost normal gait, until last week, my leg was tending to walk with foot pointed out to 10 o'clock position .... and it took significant effort to keep it straight.
Presumably this was me readjusting to leg alignment ... my knee was out by 27mm ... not sure exactly how much this has now been reduced, but it was the intent to realign.
For past 2 weeks walking more each day, as well as swimming a few lengths every other day.
The side effect is that my hip is now aching, again probably due to gait change.

Over last 2 weeks as I have been using leg more, pain during use has reduced considerably .... apart from standing still .... as I found out doing Xmas shopping with wife.   :-[
2 mile walk is no problem, 2 min standing still is very painful.

The aching when at rest is becoming more pronounced, and at night sleep is very broken as I wake up every hour or so with very significant aching in knee & hip ........ temporary relief gained by direct application of Ibuprofen gel.

Today I met with my surgeon .. who seems pleased with recovery so far, op site is clean swelling reducing, and leg extension better than expected.  ...  my exercises must be paying off.  (had a sheet issued by physio on day of op)

To help with night time pain he has now prescribed 10mg Oxycodone (Oxycontin)  .... they also make you drowsy, so maybe I'll start getting some decent sleep.

Offline cboden51

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2008, 06:03:32 PM »
Sounds as if you are making good progress! I had the same issue with night time aching after my partial knee replacement with the conformis taking Advil at night before sleep until magically at 6 weeks it was not necessary any more. Hang in there.

Offline Osprey

• Regular Poster
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2008, 07:23:27 PM »
Thanks for the comments ... my surgeon has said that 6 weeks is the expected turning point .... although it can take up to 6 months !
My range of movement is pretty good ... full extension and 120 degrees flexion.
It does cause a lot of discomfort at 120 degrees though   :)

Offline tihstae

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2009, 07:46:26 PM »
Thanks for this diary.  I am sort of in the same boat as you but it is my medial compartment.  No meniscus left there and have been wearing a medial offload brace for that last 3 years.  It helps with getting around but I can't walk more than half a mile without 3 days of swelling and extreme pain following. I guess I am lucky that have more range of motion than what you had though. It is just the bone on bone pain that is a killer when it strikes.  It is easier to fall down than to try and stay standing when it happens.

I had the MRI done today for the iForma.  Sounds like you are doing pretty well with this but it is good to know what to expect.

Offline Osprey

• Regular Poster
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2009, 10:37:41 AM »
I had a Ossur Unloader brace - Lateral (damn expensive), it helped, but when I removed it my knee was weak & felt unstable.  Also after an hour it would cut the skin on back of the knee, so much so that wearing 2 days in a row became impossible.

Update on my knee ...

Now roughly 8 weeks post Op.
Still considerable swelling ... esp either side of knee cap, and the soft tissue at back of knee swells up quickly after exercise.
Been building my own house .. and any work on ladders makes my knee swell later & ache.

Not taking any pain medication now, I'll admit I do feel occasional very sharp pain 'under' the knee cap, and occasionally there is a what feels like a misalignment and then everything clunks back into place.
Still uncomfortable at night, occasionally I'll wake up with a sharp pain, having twisted knee as I turned in sleep.

Knee is very stiff first thing in the morning ... reduced movement until I 'walk it off' a bit.

The big noticeable change was being able to return to walking downstairs normally .. after the op you had to do 1/2 steps to avoid relying on bad leg ... at 4 weeks I managed to start walking normally downstairs, but with considerable discomfort .. and a fair degree of pain.
It now just feels like 'it is pulling a bit' in the joint as I walk downstairs ... but have noticed that as a significant improvement.
As is getting in and out of car ... still painful, it does not like the twist motion, but getting better.

Been swimming daily for past 4 weeks, and now also every 3rd day in gym on treadmill, exercise bike, rowing machine etc.
Can now manage an exercise bike (need to grit my teeth for first minute or so).... for first couple of visits the bike was impossible although I could manage the down stroke, as soon as Flexion needed on return stroke it was excruciating.

Sitting at a desk is getting easier ... 2 weeks ago, after as little as an hour at desk, my knee would ache, become very stiff with pronounced limping afterwards.
It's now considerably reduced.

I can walk as far and as long as I want (or so it now seems) which is a huge improvement from 4 weeks ago.

I will be stepping up my exercise, as I have a Scuba Diving holiday booked for end of March .. need full strength by then  :-)

Apart from the piece of paper with the Physio exercise on, I have had no Physio treatment  ... so assume that would not help.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 09:17:09 PM by Osprey »

Offline cboden51

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2009, 03:39:17 PM »
This sounds very good - at 8 weeks your knee is still healing. As far as full strength - sounds like you are well on your way. Did your Physio sheet tell you what to do after you started getting stronger? Connie

Offline Osprey

• Regular Poster
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2009, 03:55:03 PM »
No .. just a basic sheet of exercise .. the one that is still difficult is lying on your back, bend your knee, keep heel on floor and pull it back as far as possible with a rubber strap .... feels like there is a tight band under the knee cap really pulling .. and pain on the lateral side .. near op site.
Still can't get heel to come right back

Offline tihstae

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2009, 10:15:12 PM »
Thanks for the update.  I hope those sharp pains go away soon.  It sounds like they are lessening.  The most encouraging thing you have said is that you an walk as far as you want.  I have not been able to walk even half a mile for the last five years without 3-4 days of swelling, pain, and a limp afterward.

I hear you on the brace.  I hate it and have permanent indentations in my calf and thigh from it.  The straps becomes unbearable.  One of the things that helped me with it was to change out the rubber piece on the back of the calf with a piece of felt.  Most of the cutting went away and it is mostly just always irritated now like a rash.

Offline Osprey

• Regular Poster
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2009, 02:26:11 PM »
Just a small update ... big step recently can now cycle a normal bike with no problems, previously could ride an inclined bike in the gym but not a real bike, the upwards movement of leg was excruciating.
It does cause some pain ... but I can do a couple of miles with no problem.

I can also now do breaststroke when swimming - the 'frog kick' was an impossibility earlier ...

Currently swimming 20 lengths (25m pool) a day, gym twice a week and cycling twice a week ..
So certainly a significant improvement since early post op.

Standing still (queues etc) is still uncomfortable, and flexion movement still takes effort to get full range.

Foe some reason pain at night when in bed has increased ... occasionally get woken up to significant pain usually due to knee being twisted.

It's now 3 months since op ... surgeon advise it would be up to 6 months before it gets as good as it will get.
I'm off on a scuba diving holiday in 2 weeks time - I took a gamble that I would be fit for it, and it's looking good so far.

No medictaion other than asparin  once a day (for anti-clotting)

Offline cboden51

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2009, 02:14:03 PM »
Thanks for the update. Sounds as if you continue to make good progress other than what should be expected!
Connie

Offline Osprey

• Regular Poster
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2009, 04:34:16 PM »
Might be of interest ...
Started attending a weekly Knee Physio class ... the Physio advised range of movement was good but strength was poor, he felt my good leg was compensating for the one operated on.

He then took me through a set of exercise tests on an ISOKINETICS machine .... wow did that make you work.
The results printed out confirmed my good leg was 60% higher strength, but even that was only pushing 30% of body weight ... he wants at least 70%

It did show that my quadriceps to Hamstring ratio was good and they are well matched on both legs, which means  that the work I have been doing on teh legs has had pay off.

It seems the fastest way to build up quadriceps is via the ISOKINETICS machine, so I have now started on a twice a week session on this machine.   Seems like it belongs in a torture chamber .... it really makes you work.

One good thing for me was last week I did a week long trip Scuba Diving in the Red Sea ... and the knee gave me no problem during the diving, which being less than 4 months since op, seems a good result.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 09:37:59 PM by Osprey »

Offline cboden51

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2009, 09:27:11 PM »
Thanks for the update. Sounds like a good plan.
Very cool that you could do the dive with no problems 4 months out!
Connie

Offline Osprey

• Regular Poster
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2009, 09:45:06 PM »
Now at 5 month point.
Update on ISO Kinetics   (on Cybex machine).   Physio has had me doing 2 full sessions on my leg each week.
After 3 weeks the figures shows a 52% increase in strength in my quads/hamstrings ...
The machine really puts you through it, sweat is pouring off me by end of the 15 min session.       It seems to be paying off, it may not suit everyone as you have to work very hard, but you can do it without any impact injury - I'm very pleased with improvement.

My leg is now giving no problem during normal exercise, cycle, swimming, treadmill, rowing, leg press etc .... can now push really hard with no joint pain.
Some clicking under knee cap, and  the joint is definitely 'crunchy' but no pain during use.

I still can't achieve a full quads stretch .. i.e. I can't grab my foot behind my back and pull heel to buttock ... so still some limit to rearwards bending of knee.

Still all seem to be improving well. 
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 09:02:47 AM by Osprey »

Offline cboden51

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2009, 11:39:32 PM »
Hurray for you!

Connie

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2009, 01:40:44 PM »
Sounds like you are doing great!
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
8/21/08 - new OS apt

Offline Osprey

• Regular Poster
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2009, 07:53:47 PM »
Now 9 months after Op. 

Fully able to cycle, walk, swim, row, etc.  ... in fact exercise as normal (avoid running) .... I think the serious work on the Cybex machine helped a great deal in 'balancing' the legs.

I can walk up & down stairs no problem, even if my downward movement is a little heavier when load bearing on the op knee.

As it's the summer have been scuba diving frequently ... only had an issue after one long (80 min finning ) session, knee was decidedly uncomfortable and reduced movement slightly for a few days.
I waterski & wakeboard on it every week .. although have been unable to return to kneeboarding.
Waterskiing is restricted in that you use your knees as shock absorbers, and in rough water, there is a limit as to how much I can do this without excessive pain on the knee.
Noticed on some video clips that I am skiing with op leg a lot straighter than no-op leg.

Restricted range of movements -
If I grab foot of non-op leg I can flexion bend it until heel is touching buttocks ... but with op knee I still can't do this, I can get it to about 125 degrees just by flexing the leg muscles, but if I try to push  it back further there is significant restriction at back of knee, and a lot of pain under patella.
Feel like there is a cord or rope going taut and preventing movement.

It is not comfortable to adopt a kneeling position on the floor, and I certainly can't 'sit back' onto heels.
I would love to regain this movement as I could get back to kneeboarding, which I really miss.
haven't seen surgeon for 6 months ... so I'll ask him what I can do to regain movement.

Knee is decidedly 'crunchy' ... and you can feel it grinding if you rest your hand on patella.

I take a daily dose of Chondroitin, MSM, Glucosamine
have not taken any pain killers or anti-inflammatories for 6 months.

I did have a 6 week period at about 6 months post op. ...where it was painful while lying in bed, and I had a pronounced limp on first few steps on getting up ... but that seems to have now disappeared.

At rest my op leg is not as straight as the other, about 5 degreee less, I can keep it straight, but that requires effort.

Even standing up straight (and still) op leg is slightly bent at keee, but as before I can 'force it' straight, but it's not that way by choice   

I would love to learn form anyone of any treatemnt to regain full movement.

My neighbour is an Orthopaedic Surgeon (not knees) ... and we were discussing last night that what we need is the ability to just shine a green light on knee and cure it Star Trek style ... switch on the sub dermal regenerator, set to Oesteo recalcification ... and engage the Flux capacitor.

Guess I'll be long dead before that happens.     :'(

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2009, 02:50:32 AM »
Sounds like you are having great progress.  I wish the Star Trek thing worked too, alot less rehab and no incision!!  You may have another 6 months before everything shakes out completely. 

Milly
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
8/21/08 - new OS apt

Offline bikerblair

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2009, 04:21:23 PM »
In regards to regaining full flexion of knee after IPD , my surgeon tells me that any flexion past  120 degress will probably cause what he referred as "booking" of the knee joint. What I understand him to mean is that the joint space begins to open like a book ,perhaps because of pressure on the back of the implant. He said this would probably  result in patellar tendonitis and cause more problems. I would also like to flex my knee past 120  (I can with the same sensation you descibe) but I have quit trying on above information. I am still limping an my quads on op knee are weaker I am going to check out this "cybex machine"/ thanks.

Offline Osprey

• Regular Poster
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2009, 05:16:25 PM »
Cybex machine made very significant difference to quads ... and the whole stability improved - esp walking down stairs carrying heavy objects etc.

I do sometimes get a 'painful' night, will wake up and the knee is aching due to position it has been in, but I 'll just put up with that I guess.

I just did a week scuba diving - and not a single problem, which was good ... thought getting up ladder in lumpy seas might have been an issue. (it was in March)

Went water skiing yesterday, I can ski ... which I suppose surgeon would say is good result ... but rough water certainly causes 'stabbing' pains in knee  .. typically you flex knees  to absorb impact of rough water, and now this is not so easy .. it's as if knee has lost the 'shock absorber' capability.

maybe there will be some new medication tablet or jab, which will calm the knee down .... can only hope   :)

Offline Osprey

• Regular Poster
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2010, 08:23:36 PM »
Thought I'd give an update at +12 months

I have no problem with walking, cycling, swimming etc. ..... knee is stable and full strength back in quads.

About 6 weeks ago, there seemed to be a 'relapse' , my leg would not straighten, when I eventually forced in straight there was a loud clunk, and all walking on it for a few days gave a noticeable clicking from under the kneecap (audible to others).
The knee had significant swelling to the rear, and general discomfort on raising form sitting at any time.However it has since returned to 'normal' apart from considerable 'crunchiness' from under the knee cap.
I had a 12 month check up recently, and surgeon seemed keen with progress ............ and has put me on 2 x 400mg Ibuprofen for 3 months, with a review at that time.

In general I can walk as fared as fast as I like, scubadive, waterski , etc. .... although I can't ski for too long on rough water. (see previous post)
Kneeling is an issue as I still can’t knee back (to sit on my heels)  my knee will not bend that far ... this is the biggest issue for me, it makes working on my boat, DIY and some sports very difficult.

I do get some pain at night, and also if I stand still for long (good excuse to get out of shop queues with wife) .... a real pain (pun intended) when checking in at airports.
Surgeon is going to look at options of possible injections into the knee ...to  assist things further, will find out at 3 month point.

Offline bikerblair

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2010, 04:47:12 PM »
Thanks for th 12 month update, Not much information on this procedure anywhere. I am 8 months out and although I am active ,I still hurt more than before surgery.  Can you go up and down stairs without pain? My pain is severe on stairs and I find myself going 1 step at a time, yet I can ride a bike with very little pain. I did a 150 mile (2 day) ride with my brother last fall ,not much problem , but I cant walk without limping? Do you limp? Did  you notice any improvement from 6 months to 1 year before you had the setback?
I also had a pop from knee cap from time to time but not audible to those around me. I am amazed you are able to waterski, I think the would hurt a great deal. I tried running just to see if I could and it was so painful my leg gave way, just can't tolerate that much pressure. Feels like bone on steel. Range of motion is fair but I can't kneel either.

Your updates are my barometer that gives me hope. Thanks  , Blair.

Offline Osprey

• Regular Poster
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2010, 06:28:58 PM »
Walking up stairs is no problem, I can feel pressure on knee .. but not really any pain.
Coming downstairs if no handrail, is a bit 'lumpy', where I'm stepping down on good leg and all weight is on op knee, the movement is quicker and my foot hits tread a bit harder ... so less smooth, especially if carrying heavy weights.

I do a lot of scuba diving, and find going down steps with a lot of kit on (about 30Kg / 70Lb) my back - makes for lumpy step down - esp as mentioned if no handrail.

I notice sometime the kneecap will pop walking up stairs ..if I don't fully extend leg it doesn’t pop ... so on occasions when it starts, I avoid fully extending leg on each step ... assuming that popping kneecap on each step would cause aggravation.

I find work on ladders a bit of a pain (pun intended) .. going up is OK .. but if I have a heavy load then tend to do the one step at a time routine, strangely coming down is Ok.
Standing still on ladder for a while does become painful .. and swelling behind joint that evening is usual.

No pain medication for 90% of the time ... although Dr. has asked me to take Brufen 400mg for 3 months to see if kneecap 'crunchies' will reduce.
He is looking at whether injecting the knee to aid lubrication is an option ... he has not done this with Conformis implant.
I will be honest and say that there is not a day that it doesn’t hurt at some point, but it’s much better that before the op.
Biggest single issue is not being able to sit back on my heels when kneeling ... wish I could resolve this.
If you want to know anything else feel free to contact any time

Offline bikerblair

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2010, 09:16:59 PM »
So you do have some pain? I guess that is some comfort to me, strange as it may seem. Pain is so subjective. I will have to continue trying to ignore it. I also have more problem going down stairs, particulary if there is no handrail. It is a very quick and awkward step. I am hoping that perhaps ,over time, the implant will conform even better to the space and further releive pain. I just feels wrong , bad fit or something.
I have had two steroid injections in my knee since surgery. These were within the first 3 months in an effort to reduce some swellling I had. I do not think they helped much for pain  but the swelling gradually resolved.
I will check in from time to time to see how you are doing.  I would like to know how long your implant will suit you. It is hard to imagine I could last 10 years with current level of pain.

Offline Osprey

• Regular Poster
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2010, 11:45:22 PM »
Implant assumed/supposed to be good for 10years.

I do get a permanent dull pain at top of Tibia ... and if I press a thumb against it it feels bruised .... Dr. advised this is due to pressure the steel puts on to the bone.
Not sure what long term prospect is for this, will it reduce or get worse.

I have had a few very significant stabbing pains when I turned or stepped suddenly, quite intense pain at the time.

I have a high pain threshold and I suppose I just accept it and get on with it, certainly no limping with normal walking and I used to have serious limp after sitting for a any length of time - that has now gone.  I try not to let the knee stop me doing things.

I did have cortisone injections on a previous op on knee .. but heard they don't like giving more than 2 as it causes ligament damage.

Been reading up on Hyalauronic Acid inter articular injections which are supposed to give good results as viscosupplements ... I'll ask the Doc about these at 3 month point.

Offline SADA

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2010, 09:22:20 PM »
Tomorrow will mark 5 weeks since I had my iforma surgery.  It has been a very frustrating situation just because know one can give me precise info.  I need to know expectiations to be able to handle everything mentally.  I am still taking meloxicam twice a day and hydrocodone every 6 hours.  Three times a week I am doing pt for  about 90 minutes and I do the bike for about 30 minutes and stretches for another 30 minutes the days that I don't go to pt.  I would do it again at the thought of being more active and pain free but not having any answers is so frustrating.  My pt doesn't even know what to tell me.  Everyone says be patient and that I am doing great.  I had know ideal how big of a deal this would be.  At my last doctor's visit, he let me know that even though the scars are small, the surgery is major.  I just wish we could get more info out of Conformis.  I have gotten more info from this site than from any where else.

Offline Osprey

• Regular Poster
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2010, 11:51:53 AM »
6 weeks was the turning point ... as long as you are pushing hard at physio, there should be significant improvement at this point.

Now +13 months for me.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 09:19:24 PM by Osprey »

Offline SADA

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2010, 05:32:05 PM »
I hope I see a big change after one more week.  I am working my tail off in pt.  I finish in more pain and limping a lot more than when I started.  Thanks for the support.  I had know ideal how big of an ordeal this would be or how much it would hurt. Thanks for the info!!!  You have been the best resource yet.

Offline elizabethb

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2010, 06:05:38 PM »
I am had bilateral Conformis iForma surgery on 09.17.09 so it has been almost 5 months.  I too have been frustrated with my progress while my MD and PT tell me I am doing fine.  I can finally walk unassisted most of the time.  I still take a cane with me for long distances.  I don't have much pain but I did in the beginning.  I had a second surgery on my left knee due to infection so that set me back.  At 5 weeks I was barely able to leave the house.  I had in home PT but it wasn't very challenging.  I had no idea it would take so long to get back to "normal".  Part of my problem has been that I became so inactive prior to the surgery and both of my legs were not straight.  My right leg especially was out of alignment.  So all of the sudden implants in both knees - after surgery I was 1 1/2 inches taller - and all my tendons and ligaments were in shock.  I sincerely feel that my procedure is a success but again I need to emphasize that my recovery has been slow.  I used a walker for 2 1/2 months.  Then I went to this heavy clawfoot cane that I used for about 6 weeks.  Then to a regular cane that I still keep with me most of the time.  This certainly hasn't been the 3-4 week process described in the Conformis brochure for patients that you can download from their website.  However I was weight bearing right after surgery and both of my surgeries were done as OP.  I was admitted to the hospital after the second surgery as I aspirated my stomach contents and had other complications.  I see my MD on Monday 02.15.10 and it is my goal to walk into his office unassisted.  I still have some work to do on my form or gait.  And I tire easily.  I have not been that active in more than a year now so I guess that is to be expected.  I too am frustrated with the lack of information.  This website has been a godsend.  I recently heard from a lady who had bilateral iFormas put in in August and she wasn't getting along too well.  I still have work to do on stairs.  I go up slowly and still use my arms to pull quite a bit.  Going down stairs I still do a step at at time putting my left foot first.  I really don't have a weaker or stronger leg at this point.  However became accustomed to babying my right knee prior to surgery so I find myself doing that sometimes.  If either of you or anyone else with info on the Conformis iForma would like to email me directly - [email protected]  I look forward to keeping in touch. - Beth

Offline SADA

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2010, 03:44:41 AM »
I would love to know how active people are being with the iforma.  I am sceduling a benefit softball tournament the weekend of April the 16th that I hope to play in.  January 6th was my surgery date.  Thanks!!!

Offline elizabethb

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2010, 06:28:46 PM »
Osprey - I just reread your posts - I am almost 8 months out from bilateral iForma surgery.  I was on top of the world and having my best days yet then I seemed to suddenly come down with a very sore right knee.  My OS is not concerned and tells me it will pass.  I was especially interested in your description of the pain you feel toward the top of your knee cap - I think this is what I have.  Maybe I was just too active and pulled something.  Nothing feels sore when I poke on my knee.  I just have soreness and pain when I walk. 

Please update your progress and if you have been unfortunate to have any set backs I would be very interested in details.  My OS tells me that setbacks are just part of the recovery.

Thanks!!!

Beth

Offline Osprey

• Regular Poster
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2010, 11:03:28 PM »
Been asked for update so I'll give one.

OK ... OP  +2 years      52 Yr old male.

9 months ago (Jan) I mentioned continual bruised sensation ... which Surgeon advised was pressure of iForma on to head of bone (Fibula?)  .. this has now disappeared..
The sharp pain under kneecap also gone  ... maybe it all just had to ‘polish’ into a good fit.
The ‘stiffness’ after sitting or being in bed ... which took a few minutes to ‘walk off’ has cleared fully.
I had about 6 weeks of significant discomfort in bed, back 5/6 months ago ... but this has also disappeared.

I take no prescription medication at all, just Glucosamine/chondroitin and hyaluronic acid supplement.
As mentioned in previous post – I did ask Surgeon about hyaluronic gell injection ... but he advised that Conformis do not approve this.

I get no pain as such at any time, even during the night which was a problem for a while.

I can feel there is 'something' there and I do take care when getting into kneeling position or for example in awkeward position under a car or simialr.

My knee will move well past the 90 degree position  ,,, estimate 135 degree .. at which point I get what feel like cord or similar under kneecap stopping it going further ... I can pull leg back further if I put pressure on it or pull it back with a strap for example ... but that does cause pain in knee.

I still cannot take a full kneeling position, i.e. my knee will not bend back enough to allow me to sit on heels – so I will never be able to kneeboard again..... Surgeon advised this will not improve as iForma prevents joint from closing fully.
I have found an alternative to kneeboarding – and bought a SkySki ... 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahKeh0e3EwA&feature=related
Having great fun on that, and almost no loading on knee compared to skiing.

I can work in a an ‘upright’ kneeling position, OK on soft surfaces, but on hard surfaces, I need to put some padding (knee pad) under knee as hard pressure on front of knee is uncomfortable

I swim 2 -3 times week, waterski/hydrofoil every weekend, I can row, cycle, walk, all with no problem.
I scuba dive regularly ... and apart from taking care getting up a ladder on a boat that is pitching about – no problems.

I can use treadmills for fast wlaking, but avoid jogging as I can feel joint taking pounding ... and it does not feel good.

If I stand still for a long time it does ache ... I dread queues at airports.

I can work up ladders OK, just need to be careful if I turn from front facing to rear ... to avoid twisting the knee ... it will give a sharp pain if I twist it .......... my surgeon thinks I shouldn’t be up ladders anyway !

Overall the knee is much better than before the op ....... at which point I was severely limping after only a few minutes sitting down.

As previously mentioned my surgery was part of a small trial in the UK, the intent to get the procedure approved.
However as it’s cost was 3 x the price of a replacement knee it was not approved for use.

I have just heard that Conformis have discontinued the iForma, does anybody know why ? ... are there medical reasons ?

« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 11:27:30 PM by Osprey »

Offline bikerblair

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2010, 09:36:42 PM »
Osprey, thanks for your update. I am   56 y/o  post implant 16 months .  I think I have more patellar pain than you do.
I am also active with hiking and cylcing but I am not able to jog at all, even if I try. The pain is severe and I am spastic when I attempt to run. I have about 125  degree flexion and kneeling does hurt as well as stairs. I still walk with a notable limp but the pain with each step is tolerable. I take an antinflamatory only and when I do I feel like I have improved. I was hoping to hear that some improvement is still possible and I also wondered if the patella is wearing a groove when it slides over the implant.

I  emailed Conformis asking about the iforma. I was wondering about how you would image the knee if you wanted to convert to an iDuo bicomaprtmental implant. (CT not MRI) When I asked why the iforma was discontinued I was told it was a "business decision".

thanks, Blair

Offline Osprey

• Regular Poster
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2011, 09:39:28 PM »
Op +32 months ... so thought I'd give another update.

No improvement really in past 12 months, so guess it is as good as it's going to get.
There is not a day goes by when I do not get pain ..... if I sit for a long time with knee bent, I can start limping when I first get up.
Long Haul flights are an issue unless I can straighten my leg and then all is improved.

My knee is very crunchy, I'm sure there is a techy term for this, but if you rest a palm on knee cap you can feel really grating & crunching - significantly.
I'm slightly concerned that the crunchiness, coupled with limping after est was what prompted initial arthroscopy which lead to the IForma surgery.
Wondered if the worn away bones, have now started wearing away on the implant instead.

I still SkySki & waterki, although a 5min run on rough water, has me limping badly next day ... but I'll take that. After hard exercise sessions .. my knee feels decidely brusied below joint, and if I have to wlak up staisrs that will be painful, quite significant ... but settles after 3-4 days.

I take no meds  ... only Chondroitin/Glucosamine, Hyalurnoic acid & Microlactin supplements.

Movement ... extension no longer 180 degrees, reduced by about 5 degree, flexion still at 120 degrees.

I bought a bongo (balance) board and after several days learning, now use it daily ... my 'thoughts' are that it will keep ligamnets tight and make knee more stable, I may be talking rubbish   :)

I see the Surgeon again in Aug .... not sure what next step will be, have a feeling it will be arthroscopy to wash out joint.

Offline bikerblair

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2011, 08:26:21 PM »
I am now two years out from Right medial  Iforma implant. I still have pain with every step but it does not keep me from doing what I want excpet for running. I still can't run. For most of us with Iforma implants the question is how long do we keep them before going to the next step?This of course is highly subjective. I wish I could run but even a total knee replacement would not guarantee i could run , nor would running be advised.  I am just tired of pain with every step . I hear stories of post TKR patients bragging about no pain but my surgeon reminds me that I might be the one who gets a complication such as infection  post TKR. He thinks I should just live with the pain until It changes my current activity level. Such a quandary?

Offline Osprey

• Regular Poster
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2011, 02:33:44 PM »
You are right running is painful.
Every time I use stairs there is pain, I travel every week and going up / down flights of stairs with a suitcase & laptop bag certainlkt reminds me of knee problem on every step., and for me (key) there is pain when I waterski & wakeboard ........

I put up with it, and it is better than before the op.

I do get a distinct feeling of bruising on medial side of knee after waterskiing, this is painful to thumb pressure, this extends about 4" down Fibula
Also get same on Lateral side (iforma side) but much more localised .. mainly head of Femur (I guess)

There is swelling on Lateral side ... but that goes after about 72 Hrs.
In the days after skiing there is significant stiffness and moderate pain  .... but I put up with it.

I take no pain killers.

I really miss not being able to kneel down and sit on my heels ... it is a significant 'handicap' to having the iForma device, and has stopped one of my main pastimes completely (kneeboarding)

I Have noticed that if I put both feet up, on my operated leg the knee sits a couple of inches higher ... the leg is obviously not extending to 180 deg, I can push it down (by muscle action - not with hand pressure) but it certaiinly does not stay there when relaxed. 

Like you I don't know hat the future is ... how long will it last, and what is next step,
I saw a great programm on YV where they were using STEM cells to re-grow a knee ......... now that would be wonderful, but guess I'll be dead before that arrives.

Offline Osprey

• Regular Poster
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2013, 10:02:48 AM »
OK ... now 5yr post-op, so time for an update.

No deterioration ... and if anything improvement, perhaps I have just learned to live with it.
I still can't run ... impact stress does hurt, severe sharp jarring pain .... but I can walk all day. Standing for a long time is uncomfortable, and for example if queuing for a flight for some time and then several hrs in a seat where i can't straighten out leg will result in limping & pain after the flight ... at least until I can walk it off.
Walking up and down stairs I do as fast as anyone else, although coming down I do feel the pressure on my knee with each step .... ends of the bone do get bruised.  Kneeling for any reason is something that is uncomfortable, and painful if I do it for a long time.
I swim 3-4 times a week with no problems, throughout summer I Waterski, Skyski, Wakeboard ... but as previously explained I can no longer kneeboard.

I drive with no problem, (manual box) .. I do find working on ladders an issue ... going up and down is fine, but staying still for example to paint ... I suppose it's like standing still with attitude.
I also scuba dive ... drift diving is fine, but if I have to fin against the current, my knee clicks loudly, along with a 'jerk' with each fin stroke, and a bit of pain with each stroke as well....... I may look at split fins to try & ease knee stress.

The only real times I get significant pain are if I slip and hyper extend knee in front of me ..... for example of a slippery floor ....   even without falling over, the hyperextension is damn painful.
The other one which used to be frequent but now rare, is when walking .. on occasions I would not lift my leg high enough and heel for example would catch on a kerb while crossing a road ... that was also very painful  (assume it's sudden upwards jarring)

I take no painkillers or anti-inflammatory drugs, only Chondroitin/Glucosamine tablet daily and until recently an Hyaluronic tablet daily.

In conclusion .... I'm glad I had it done ......... expectation was it would delay knee replacement by 10 yrs, and I'm halfway to that point    :)

Understand iForma has been discontinued - so not sure if there is an alternative

Offline Osprey

• Regular Poster
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2016, 01:26:44 PM »
8 years on - Knee occasionally locking up due to crepitus on patella and a new medial meniscal tear .. resulted in follow up arthrocopy in Apr 2015
Tear removed and rear of patella debrided.

All OK until Nov 2015 when without trauma woke up one day with intense pain in knee, very painful Quadriceps and difficulty walking down stairs, getting up from seated position and inability to kneel. The knee feel like it has a steel wire going diagonally across it under the patellar restricting movement. Frequently locking up.

Further visits to surgeon .. have advised grade 3 changes over trochlea and patellar, and very rough patello femoral articulation.
Consideration now is further surgical procedure - a patello fermoral replacement (patello femoral arthroplasty)

However the iPD to femoral position is very good, no deterioration - so it has done its job well.