Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: PCL/LCL 21 days  (Read 1144 times)

Offline bil

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • pcl (allograft) - lcl (hamstring tendon) - menis.
    • pbase
PCL/LCL 21 days
« on: August 16, 2003, 02:51:48 AM »
PCL replaced with allograft (achilles tendon)
LCL replaced with hamstring tendon
some meniscus repair

Surgery Thursday, July 24.  Went down at noon. Woke up at 5:30.  Epidural just before going down (that's some fun stuff - having something stuck into the base of your spine).  Woke up in some pain, but drugs kicked in fast.  Moved around hospital (three different rooms - including in the seizure ward), finally end up back in appropriate ward.  A little bit of nausea Thursday night.  Not too bad.

In hospital through SUNDAY.  Epidural removed Saturday morning.  Transitioned to oral drugs.  Had drip drugs too, but epidural really did the job.  Although, you know, constipation.  Never understood constipation until now.

Some CPM on Friday, Saturday.  Didn't really look or do much with leg other than CPM.  Was in a brace (locked to zero) all of the time, except for CPM.  CPM to 50 degrees?

Stopped by work on Sunday.  Did some work from home rest of week.  Went in to office two more days.  

PT on Tuesday of the following week.  Mostly work on swelling, some quad isometric training.  My range of motion is restricted to 70 degrees, but I'm probably at 50.  On my own - straight leg raises, quad isometrics,  some knee movement with assist.  

I'm told that I will be non-weight bearing for 12 weeks, a schedule that has not yet been changed.  Crutches, etc. Wear the brace whenever not sitting still and stable.  

Pain is manageable.  Taking drugs regularly.  Around 8 days out start to slow down the drugs, as I realize that I don't have enough to last very long, and with worries about over addiction.  Drop drugs completely at 10 days.
No withdrawal (although at about day 6, dropped off to try to deal with constipation and had big mood swing trouble).

12 days - see orthopedic surgeons (not main, as he's on vacation).  they are worried about my range of motion (maybe around 55degrees) - tell me to go to PT 2-3 times a week instead of once (as told by main surgeon).  Remove stitches.

Pain is mostly a dull ache (when leg is low) and the irritation of the damn brace.  I mean, my beloved brace.

Start to do more work on range of motion.  Start doing wall assisted bending, etc.  To 70 degrees about a week later.  

That's where I am now.  Still looking at NINE? more weeks of non-weight bearing, but hopefully conservative orthopedic will allow earlier freedom.  Not more than 70 degrees because hamstring? will pull on PCL?  Avoiding hamstring flex.  

History:
Injury occurred playing indoor ultimate.  Incident with running into wall in January maybe.  Knee hurt for a while, but ignored, and was running again soon.  Probably ripped the PCL most of the way through.  It finally popped all of the way in late February.  My knee too loose to not do surgery (as I want to return to sport).   With insurance switch, takes a long time to schedule.   In the interim, get back to running regular distances.  Feels good - so try to casually play some ultimate.  Both times I tried this, I probably hurt my knee more, and was down afterwards for a while.

Wooga.  I'm jealous of ACL only folks.   There are lots in my world (ultimate frisbee).  They have much more aggressive rehabs, and are walking around while I'll still be non-weight bearing.  Damn.

-bil

Offline Jennie

• Forum Faithful
  • LoveBug
Re: PCL/LCL 21 days
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2003, 08:42:17 PM »
Hi Bil

All in all it sounds like you are doing very well! I know what you mean about being jealous of the acl only people, I tore my MCL, PCL, and ACL and I know exactly how irritating and painful all that can be!

Good luck, and keep us posted

Love,Jennie
21 yrs. old..Right knee injury. Ligament Recon 6-21-01, 2 LR's 3/02 & 9/02
TTT 11/08/02, patella and ligament recon 5/03
Recently dx with OA, Having hardware removed and knee scoped on 6/24/04

Offline amazonia

• Regular Poster
  • hello from Vancouver, Canada!
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2003, 07:09:54 AM »
Nice to hear about another PCL/ PLC reconstruction - you're not alone!  I hope you're doing well, and that physio is going OK.  It's interesting for me to read the different approach taken for the same thing.

I had PCL (allograft achilles tendon) and PLC (hamstring tendon) done on May 22nd this year.  It was 6 hours of surgery - in at 8 a.m and only coherent enough to ask what time it was by 5:30 p.m - still in the recovery room.  5 days in the hospital, and then home with crutches.  Since it was my 3rd knee surgery in the past 1.5 years, the crutches were a breeze.  I took myself off any painkillers other than O.T.C extra strength Tyelenol and Advil my 2nd day home, as the side effects were worse than any pain I was experiencing.  I had quite a bit of tingling/ numbness in my foot for a few days due to the surgeon 'playing around' with my nerve - he said it took him an hour to find it!?  I was in a rehab brace locked pretty much straight, but was able to start doing some slight R.O.M. exercises during the day.  That combined with ice (Chryo cuff) was about the extent of it, although I was allowed partial weight bearing nearly right away.  I couldn't actually put my foot flat on the ground for about a week or so, but stretching helped that out.

I'm now just over 3 mo's post op.  I went back to work after 2 months, and it hasn't been a problem - as I have a desk job.  I JUST started physio last week - as my surgeon didn't want me doing anything agressive due to the grafts.  I did exercises at home - static quad contractions, straight leg lifts, and stretches, and then worked up to deep water running in the pool, swimming with limited kicking, and riding the stationary bike.  I had enough R.O.M. to get a full rotation of the peddle the first time I tried - around 7 weeks post op.  I'm now walking without much of a limp at all - but my stability isn't great, and I've lost 1 3/4" of muscle on that leg, so have a long way to go to rebuild.  However, considering I still don't have an ACL, and the surgeon doesn't know if it'll be worth reconstructing it - I think I'm doing OK!

I'd be interested to hear from you Bill as to how you continue to do - as you're a little way behind me.

Anne
Jan. '02 - complete tears of the ACL/PCL and PLC - emergency surgery to repair them;  high tibial osteotomy Dec 5 '02; May 22nd 2003 reconstructive PCL (allograft) and PLC (hamstring tendon).  No ACL reconstruction as I retore it 3 weeks prior to surgery.  No ACL/ loose knee but little pain!

Offline Jillian24

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2003, 07:44:53 AM »
Bil~
  Very good diary may I say?! I just wanted to wish you the best of luck and I hope you get to your goal soon. I am sure you will do great.  And I hope your OS lets you out early....Good Luck, Jillian
ONE TTT LAST OCT
10 LR'S    ONE MEDIAL RELEASE
STAPH INFECTION.....MANY MONTHS IN HOSPITAL

Offline bil

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
    • pbase
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2004, 08:39:46 PM »
I'm at the sixth month mark and things are looking good.  I've been seeing the PT once a week, and just saw my doc yesterday.  He said that both grafts are working well and that I could work up to going full speed in a reasonable fashion.

I'm to 152 degrees aiming for 158 but the main thing is just strengthening now.  I have not been overly aggressive in my PT because, you know, winter, and ain't it nice to take a long break from the humdrum of keeping in shape.

This has put me in a very good mood.  

Yeehaw.

yours,

bil

Offline bil

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
    • pbase
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2004, 02:16:46 AM »
A year and a third after surgery, my team won the national championship in my sport (ultimate frisbee).   My knee has not been a problem since then.  Somewhere during the late summer, I finally reached close to regular speed.  I'm probably still about 95% in comparison to my pre-injury self, with my jumping and speed bursts both poor to not that great respectively.  But the knee has not gotten in the way.  It's nice to be able to do participate without thinking about it.

support