Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: My experience so far  (Read 20627 times)

Offline macker

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: My experience so far
« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2009, 04:01:17 PM »
Thanks Miss Sporty, i went to the gym this morning and did some leg strengthening work.  Two days after football training.  A great milestone.

Chach, there was a lot of pain to begin with, in the same areas you describe.  When it got too much i stopped, however i continued.  I would say the last two weeks i havent really felt the pain.  It has got sore towards the end of the practice match on Thursday.  Definately work on the strength.  When you have built sufficient strength, work on plyometrics.  Keep going  ;)
Masakatsu agatsu - True victory is self victory.

vinnic

« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2009, 04:39:44 PM »
Macker, did you work on plyometrics at physiotherapy, with a trainer/coach, or on your own? 

Offline macker

• Regular Poster
« Reply #62 on: July 13, 2009, 07:05:53 AM »
Hello Vinic
The physio started me off with plyometric work. Some simple jumping exercises, squares, 180 jumps, then one legged hopping.  I'm still working on my quad and hamstring strength, and will attempt some hurdle work this week. I'm also still trtying to give my knee a daysa rest between workouts.
Mark

vinnic

« Reply #63 on: July 13, 2009, 04:10:03 PM »
Thanks for letting me know Mark.  The only reason I asked was because it seemed like most posters here started some simple plyometrics while still in physiotherapy.  My PT mentioned it awhile back, but really hasn't given me anything yet in that area.  She did have me start bouncing on the mini-trampoline just last week, but also talked about getting ready to discharge me soon!  I was starting to wonder if she'd really give me any more or not, but she surprised me this morning with some simple jumps forward and backward.  She also talked of adding side to side and squares in the next few sessions depending on how the knee felt.  Needless to say, I was relieved about that!  So, thanks all the same and hope your training continues to go well.     

Offline macker

• Regular Poster
« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2009, 03:56:43 PM »
I have a question fello knee geekers.  It is the first pre-season friendly on Saturday, do i play, and how much of a part do you think i should play  ???

Some information to help yopu all, ive had 4 weeks of football training, and at the end of the last session i played 30 minutes of a practice game. :P

Offline macker

• Regular Poster
« Reply #65 on: July 25, 2009, 10:35:08 PM »
i played the last 20 minutes, of my first competitive match.  Was a great buzz.  Next Saturday another friendly, i may try for 45 minutes.  Need to work on my fitness though.  Its been 16 months since my last game, when i injured my knee and 7 months since my op.

Offline mollyc

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #66 on: July 25, 2009, 11:35:47 PM »
That's great! Congratulations! I'm really impressed with how disciplined you're being about your re-entry to football. Pushing it, but not too much...assessing how it goes...pushing it more. It's a great model for how to move safely back into sport! Glad that it seems to be working out for you so far.
Ski accident 2/14/09
Ruptured ACL, MCL sprain, bone bruise
ACLr allograft 5/27/09
Knee now 100% fine...skiing and playing tennis regularly

Offline macker

• Regular Poster
« Reply #67 on: August 01, 2009, 09:32:43 PM »
All has been going really well. I played in a practice match on Thursday for 40 minutes, and a played 30 minutes of a competitive pre season game today(saturday).  I also have another pre-season game on Wednesday evening.  Then i am going to give it a rest for a few days.

The knee feels very solid turning, it was quite wet today.  I havent yet really tested it in a full blooded challenge.  However adding the 10 minutes in each competitive match seems to be working well.  I still ice regularly.  Its trying to fit in strength work, fitness work, speed work, and play a game without putting the knee under too much stress.  I'm just approaching 9 months post op.  I am however very pleased how things have gone 8)

Offline miss_sporty

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #68 on: August 02, 2009, 05:45:30 PM »
Sounds like everything is going really really well! Bet its really nice to be getting back to football again it sounds so exciting!! Glad to hear it feels solid when you turn too thats really good, hope it all continues to be this good for you! :)
Torn ACL
Hamstring graft reconstruction
Patellar tendon graft reconstruction

Offline macker

• Regular Poster
« Reply #69 on: August 21, 2009, 10:42:40 PM »
All i can say is that things seem to be going from strength to strength.  I started my FA Level 2 football coaching badge last sunday.  Ive played 30 minutes of three fully competitive league matches, and everything has gone really well.

Well i started of the coaching course, by participating in a 1 hour coaching session on the Sunday and Monday, and then participated in a 2 and a half hour coaching session on Tuesday.  Wednesday i observed and coached a session of my own, and this afternoon i once again took part in a 2 and a half hour coaching session.  I'm over the moon, and a little sore.  However no swelling, and no complications at all with my knee  8)

I am still however cautious about playing a ninety minute league game, i have a the possibility of having to take part in a lot of coaching sessions tomorrow, as well as running my own, then a week of rest.  Followed by a league game, of which i hope to play for 45 minutes. 

I hope everyone on here is rehabbing well and hard.

Offline bailey23

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #70 on: August 24, 2009, 11:33:15 PM »
Hi Macker,

Your story is very inspiring to read. I am also hoping to return to competitive football eventually but I am trying to keep my feet on the ground and stick to my original time scale of a year out. I only had my aclr at the beginning of this month so it sounds daft me talking about sticking to time scales but I am already fed up with watching from the sideline as my friends play. I had never really suffered any sort of real injuries until this year when I tore my acl back in january so maybe thats why I'm finding it hard. Although I had to sit and watch one of my teams win the league and play in 3 cup finals last season so that really sucked from a personal point but I just hope I am not tempted to try and play towards the end of this season if we have any sort of big games as I will only be 8 months post op by the end of the season. Its easy to say I won't now but I would imagine it will be harder to stop myself if I make any where near the amount of progress you did in 8 months.

Keep up the hard work and good luck with the coaching and football :)

John
24 Jan 09 - LK ACL rupture and MCL tear
05 Aug 09 - ACLr using hamstring, MCL sorted itself out

Offline macker

• Regular Poster
« Reply #71 on: September 02, 2009, 06:04:56 PM »
On saturday I played 55 minutes of a competitive league game, then on Monday i played 90 minutes.  What a great feeling that was.  My lungs were bursting, my leg muscles felt like i had run a marathon.  My knee was all stable, i was even crunched a few times, and gave some back.

I even managed a session in the gym today, 2 days after.  Keep rehabbing hard my knee guru friends, and believe ;)

vinnic

« Reply #72 on: September 03, 2009, 03:00:37 AM »
That's great Macker!  Really glad to hear it.  Just keeps getting better and better.  The best kind of news.  Thanks for the words of encouragement for the rest of us! 

Offline miss_sporty

• Regular Poster
« Reply #73 on: September 03, 2009, 12:47:28 PM »
Well done thats amazing!  hope you are enjoying your return!! :)
Torn ACL
Hamstring graft reconstruction
Patellar tendon graft reconstruction

Offline dancer49

• Forum Faithful
  • Focus, patience and determination moves mountains!
    • Branding4Newbies
« Reply #74 on: September 15, 2009, 05:03:23 PM »
Great to hear how well things are going for you!!!
 ;D ;D ;D ;D
Dancer50
Oct. 8, 2008 ACL tear
Dec. 11, 2008 ACLr plus 2 Mid & Lateral Meniscal Repairs

support