Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: My experience so far  (Read 22262 times)

Offline fergy

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: My experience so far
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2009, 06:55:28 PM »
What are you at now, 7-8 weeks?  If so, I'd say your substitute PT had some good advice for you.  In addition to what he said, you're also setting yourself up for tendinitis doing too much on weaker muscles.

I'm sure many of us know all too well about the temptation to pile on the weights when you can finally start doing some "real" exercise again.  But remember, slow and steady wins the race.  This is my mantra every time I'm tempted to do too much  ;D
1960s-style go go dancer
Bicycle accident (not my fault, grr) 4 Sept 08
Left knee- ACL, 2 meniscus tears, MCL tear
ACLr (allograft achilles tendon) 31 October 08

Offline macker

• Regular Poster
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2009, 07:04:55 PM »
Hey Fergie (are you the black eyed peas one!?)
i'm 8 weeks post op.  Ive never ever been able to do slow and steady, and everytime i hit a little milestone i push it.  I took my youngest girl to a party saturday, and we were running late.  So we were running there from the car par, very silly considering the cold weather and the ice!

I will try and remember your mantra, thankyou.

Mark
Masakatsu agatsu - True victory is self victory.

Offline macker

• Regular Poster
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2009, 02:12:25 PM »
It is 8 weeks post op, and this week at physio, i was given another set of new exercises.  I was reading in Dancers thread she mentions that the time post op flies.  I would certainly agree.  My flexion was 137 which i was really pleased with and my extension was at 0, which again i was well pleased with.
I have also been given a new circuit to do, it includes Leg press, hamstring curl, slow step ups and slow step overs(mentioned in fergies article on eccentric and concentric), quick heel flicks , single leg dips.  I have started doing these exercises as 2 sets of 10 reps, usually with a minutes break between, and i have had no adverse reaction (swelling).  Twice a week i am also swimming for 15 minutes.

I have ommited the leg press and hamstring curl, and replaced them with Full squat and deadlift, both with a barbell (20kg).  My reasoning behind his is with the extra workout the stabilisers of the knee get using free weights rather than fixed weight machines.  Oh and i can jog on a trampette!  Which looks rather stupid but is cool.

Offline dancer49

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
  • Focus, patience and determination moves mountains!
    • Branding4Newbies
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2009, 12:08:09 AM »
WAY TO GO MACKER!!!!!! You are rockin' along!
'Nice Extension baby!' :o ;) :D
Enjoy the new exercises!!!
I'm jealous about the trampette! I'm not there yet!
Oct. 8, 2008 ACL tear
Dec. 11, 2008 ACLr plus 2 Mid & Lateral Meniscal Repairs

Offline dancer49

• Forum Faithful
    • Branding4Newbies
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2009, 04:52:18 PM »
Halloooooo! Macker...where are you????
How's it going????
Oct. 8, 2008 ACL tear

Offline macker

• Regular Poster
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2009, 09:41:48 PM »
Hey Dancer
its all good i think.  I cant handle the slow, slow.  So been pushing it a bit.  No swelling, just aches a bit.  Oh and my hamstring and calf have felt like someones tugging on them the physio thought i had been doing too much quad work.  So i rested the weekend, RICE and stretched.  Which has worked. 

My major pain(an ache) is on my shin, where the longer incision is.  It is still quite swollen, so my Physio suggested massaging it. So i have been.  Just getting really frustrating, but in 2 weeks it will be 12 weeks.  I'm hoping i can run.  Fergy says 'slow and steady wins the race', but i'm very bad at doing it :( Pretty sure he dreads me telling him what i've been doing, so i dont.  Sticking pretty much to the protocol, maybe doing a bit of core work he doesn't know about, and gone back to my Taichi classes.  My partner keeps threatening to tell!

I'm still off work, i work as a PE teacher at a local college, and i also Coach Football.  The surgeon wants to keep me off for 6 months, but i'll go mad(going/gone).  So i have an appointment Feb 17th, and i hope to negotiate going back on light duties.  Way too much time on my hands.

Thanks for asking  :-*, i keep visiting here and i'm glad things are going well for you.  Was well made up about the whole forgetting about the knee episode, i'm trying.

regards

Mark

Offline dancer49

• Forum Faithful
    • Branding4Newbies
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2009, 10:00:08 PM »
Mark,
Glad you are still improving!  ;D
Funny- you do extra and need to lie to PT and OS about it!
DOH! NO! Tell them what you are up to buddy! I'm with your partner
on that one!

I was surprised to hear that your OS wants you off for 6 months...so I re-read your
case...hamstring recon...I know these take longer to heal, like the patella ones...I'm an
allograft girl myself...so that might be another reason I'm moving so swifty-
But 6 months does seem a tad excessive...UNLESS they are taking your personality
into consideration here.

As a PE teacher and football coach, and Tai person...you naturally want to go to the max...
you are a 'full on' sports guy and maybe they NEED to hold you back until you are fully healed because they know when they give you the 'green light', you are gonna be a 'bat outa hell!' LOL!
 ;D :o 8)

My PT and I are just beginning to work on my shin scar, and it still has the most feeling in it too...
my PT said today to be gentle with that area as it does not have any 'fat pad' underneath...and the area has a tendancy to swell a bit- so be careful in this area.

I'm with Fergy on the slow and steady wins the race bit...if you over do...you may end 3 steps back like my OS says...we all knew this was going to be a long slow recovery...we did our homework...there must be a reason they are telling us to move slowly...

I think you are doing fine though- you seem to be listening to your body...it's a narrow line we are walking- with the need to do recovery exercises and needing to push a bit to get to the next level at the same time not 'over do'...Hang in there- and hey- do lots and lots of upper body!!! :P ;D ;D ;D ;D
Oct. 8, 2008 ACL tear

Offline macker

• Regular Poster
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2009, 10:55:53 PM »
Hey Dancer, i've  been doing some upper body.  My little girl has commented on my Moobs!

Its week 13 now, and due to the heavy falls of snow i have not been to see my physio.  So i am itching to get running ( i was told that possibly 12 weeks i would be running.  I have however been out doing lots of walking in the snow and ice. Its been the worst falls of snow for over 20years.  The walking on ice and snow has been pretty nervy.  However everything with my knee has been good and stable.  I did risk sledgung a couple of times, on a pink blow up rubber ring.  Untill my little girl told me off.

Ive been pushing things at the gym, 15 minute swim followed by 15 minutes on the bike and then a light session on the weights squatting, and deadliflifts.  The knee ached a bit the next day, however i have no swelling issues.  I'm so hoping i can get running.  I've put on a bit of weight.

Offline macker

• Regular Poster
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2009, 05:58:28 PM »
I'm allowed to run, in straight lines, and also jump (box jumps)  ;D

Offline dancer49

• Forum Faithful
    • Branding4Newbies
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2009, 06:50:57 PM »
Jumps! Exciting!!!
Good for you!!!!

I was hoping to be jumping at 13wks out, but with my locking issue, my pt has been pushed back a tad- oh well.  :P

Good to hear you are doing well!!!! ;D ;D ;D
Oct. 8, 2008 ACL tear

Offline Jon W

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2009, 05:04:09 PM »
Macker good to hear of the progress. Am around 13 weeks also and hoping to able to jog when i attend physio tomorrow.

The recent ice we've had was pretty un-nerving!

Offline macker

• Regular Poster
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2009, 10:54:38 PM »
Hey Dancer.  There is another man in my acl rehab class, he had fallen and his knee had swollen up.  He had also lost some extension.  It had set him back two weeks, it wasn't nice seeing him watch me as i started running and jumping exercises, and he went back to some basic exercies.

Hello Jon.  Hope you get running.  My knee felt sore two days later, probably due to the fact i had to walk around London the next day as wll.  However no swelling, which to me says all is good.  The recent weather was pretty un-nerving, but my knee held firm, which again was pleasing. 

Good rehab to everyone.

Offline macker

• Regular Poster
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2009, 09:35:45 PM »
Well today i went to visit my surgeon.  For a check up.  I left the hospital feeling on top of the world.  He ran a few tests, Lachman.  He also did one with the leg fully extended?  However he was very happy.  He was also very happy with my muscle bulk gain, and he also said how well i had been doing in physio.

He has allowed me to go back to work, i am a PE teacher.  On lighter duties.  He also commented that i may, if my rehab continues be back to competitive sport at the 6-8 month mark.  He discussed the biological factors about the graft not being 100% untill the year, however commented that due to me being able to builld my muscles up quickly this may be a possibility.  He went on to discuss he had been part of the team working with Chelsea Fc.  This was great news, however my time scales have put the new football season for me starting at 10 months post op.  A time i will probably go for.  However i may hit the Aikido mat (literally when i get back on it!) around easter.

Offline macker

• Regular Poster
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2009, 07:10:58 PM »
15 weeks post op.  The time has flown by.  My new exercise protocol includes forward and backward running at 1/2 and 3/4 pace.  I have also been running figure of 8's, and trying to sprint in between. ;D

In my weight sessions i am squatting 40 kg, and deadlifting 30 kg.  The muscle wastage is very very clear to see on my VMO.  I do have some very weird clicking noises coming from my knee, that my pt thinks is to do with my knee cap, and will disappear one i have built my strength up again.  I have also been kicking a ball around, when i take my football team for coaching.  Although i have not really put my foot through the ball yet, everything seems good.

Offline nellsa

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2009, 07:20:04 PM »
Hi macker

good to hear that things are going so well.... like the idea of some running !  I'm doing OK too at my slow but sure protocol programme.  I'm going to ACL clinic twice a week now and see some of the guys pounding away of the treadmill.  The physio told me they have been going for 9 months.... I like to see other peoples' progress... makes me feel I will be there one day too

good luck

nellsa
April 2007: fell off step ladder and  fractured patella & tibia, tore MCL and total ruptured ACL

Rehab: July 07 -November 08

ACLR: December 08

support