Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: How do you spell relief? Partial Knee Replacement  (Read 32960 times)

Offline Caroline109

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
How do you spell relief? Partial Knee Replacement
« on: November 24, 2008, 02:52:51 AM »
I had a partial knee replacement on Sept. 17. This coming Wednesday will mark 10 weeks post-surgery. Before the surgery, I was limping around, in pain, pain would come when I did nothing, pain would come while I was sleeping. Pain was everywhere. I am so glad in June, after a gentle suggestion by the ortho who had done my 4 previous arthroscopies for torn menisci and who had seen my MRIs showing bad bad bone on bone arthritis, that I had a consultation with another ortho in my OS group who does replacements (my original OS does general ortho and ankle/foot specilization). This was also after 2 runs of SUpartz that did nothing and cortisone shots that at first would last 7 weeks and by June, lasted about 3 weeks. So in September, I had the surgery. New aches replaced the arthritic aches but nothing as bad and PT helped deal with that. I graduated from PT 11 days ago feeling pretty good, ROM 127 (my "good" knee, which has its own issues, was at 131) and am heading back to work on Dec. 1. I work part time and had been doing retail on my feet for the few hours I did work. Now it seems, someone in the HR department was kind enough to move me to a clerical spot so I won't be on my feet as much.
But I definitely could not have gone on much longer without having this surgery. I don't know why anyone who needs it puts it off for months and some people years because of the fear of surgery. In the end, pain relief is much stronger than the fear.
Caroline
Chronic low platelet count
Men. surgery, both knees 2003,2007,2008
R PKR Sept. 17, 2008 - Biomet Oxford Partial
LK-TKR 4/21/2010 Biomet Vanguard Signature Knee
Scar tissue issue next to TKR knee
March 2, 2011: PKR to be revised to a TKR

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
Re: How do you spell relief? Partial Knee Replacement
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 07:41:48 PM »
Glad you're doing well. I'm coming up on my second anniversary of my PKR in December. I'm still doing great with mostly pain free days. I couldn't be happier with the results.

Offline Caroline109

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 07:59:42 PM »
Glad you have had good results for the 2 years since your replacement. I wish everyone could!
Caroline

Offline cboden51

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 03:57:03 PM »
I am so happy for you!

These procedures truly are miracles !

Connie

Offline Caroline109

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 04:29:01 PM »
I agree, COnnie. I can't imagine having to go through the rest of my life with my knee feeling as it did. ANd now that it doesn't, it's ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
Caroline

Offline bavage

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Meniscectomy 8/07 TKR 7/08 MUA 10/08
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 04:58:10 AM »
Modern medical science is a wonderful thing..is it not ??
Certified Dietary Manager, ServSafe Proctor, Options Trader.           

AKA, The Curmudgeon

Offline Caroline109

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 09:17:55 PM »
Sure is. I feel bad when I think about my father who sat down on my 16th  birthday at a picnic on a mountain in Aspen, Colorado and couldn't get up again because his meniscus ripped. This was back in 1970 and he had open repair and never really recuperated from it knee-wise. His other knee got bad and he would drag out a knee brace and wear that but refused to try surgery again. SO he spent the last 22 years of his life with really bad knees. I wish he were around to have been able to take advantage of the advances in knee medicine.
Caroline

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2008, 12:30:32 AM »
Sure is. I feel bad when I think about my father who sat down on my 16th  birthday at a picnic on a mountain in Aspen, Colorado and couldn't get up again because his meniscus ripped. This was back in 1970 and he had open repair and never really recuperated from it knee-wise. His other knee got bad and he would drag out a knee brace and wear that but refused to try surgery again. SO he spent the last 22 years of his life with really bad knees. I wish he were around to have been able to take advantage of the advances in knee medicine.

I can relate to that. I injured my knee in 1973. My ACL was completely torn and they couldn't repair them back then. They thought I had a torn meniscus at the time so they opened up both sides of my knee with long incisions and removed my ACL. It was brutal. I spent 4 days in the hospital on morphine. When I tore my meniscus a few months later the doctor wanted to go in again and remove it but my parents told him they weren't putting me through that again. Thankfully, by the time I was an adult technology had advanced.

Offline cboden51

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2008, 04:18:31 PM »
I can relate to the story about your father. My dad had terrible knees from as early as I could remember- and a very bad back. His knees were bowed so bad I hurt just looking at him and his back was so bad that at times he looked like he was crawling up the driveway coming home from work.  He finally had a knee replacement - must have been one of the first and he never recovered from that.  I remember taking him to therapy and thinking what a joke. Long story short- he died at age 84 with his one knee replaced and the other in terrible shape using a walker to hobble where he needed to go. And he never complained!

Now I have a PKR on both my knees but technology has improved and so has what PT has to offer. And this patient hit the ground running, determined not to repeat what I considered the failed outcome of my dad's surgery.

Offline Caroline109

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2008, 07:47:50 PM »
Hopefully none of us will suffer as our fathers did. I still remember my father telling me his father died when my Dad was 13, in about 1932-33, of something (he never specified what) that is completely curable now. I feel like my father's knee pain, though probably not completely curable, could have been much relieved by advances made in orthopedic medicine since his 1970 surgery.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 07:49:53 PM by Caroline109 »
Caroline

Offline nicolse

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2009, 02:02:28 PM »
Caroline,

You mention you had two series of cartilege replacement therapy.  After 13 weeks, the pain relief I felt from Supartz injections has turned back to original pain.  My question is, how often can a doctor do these injections? 

Offline Caroline109

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2009, 02:06:42 PM »
I'm sorry, but I really am not sure how often for sure, but I remember reading on this site some people having them every 6 months. My 2 courses of Supartz were about 3.5 years apart and did basically nothing both times, the last time because I think my knee was too far gone by then! You're lucky you got some time (although not much) out of them! Now my other knee is getting bad and I'm wondering if I should try again, as this knee isn't as bad as the other one was!
You can always call your ortho office (or schedule an appointment with your OS to discuss the return of the pain) and ask then!
Caroline

Offline MariaCrook

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2011, 09:48:09 AM »
My 65 year old father want to go for knee replacement as suggested by his orthopedic surgeon but he is hesitating as he want to know what kind of activities he can participate after doing this and what precautions he have to take after going through this surgery?

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2011, 10:24:39 AM »
Those really are questions for his surgeon, as every person is different. It will depend on his general health, fitness levels, what state his other knee is in...but the general advice after TKR is to avoid anything that is high impact as it can reduce the lifespan of the prosthesis (running, impact sports, etc). Many people also find that kneeling is difficult or painful or both, so that may be something else he wants to avoid or ask about. However with a positive outcome many people on here have returned to very active lives, check out the TKR section and ask there. People have hiked, climbed the Tower of Pisa, dived, golfed and all sorts of normal stuff. After his TKR he will need good physio to get the joint moving as soon as possible, and build up his leg strength.

Have a look down in the TKR section and you'll find all sorts of information but really a good surgeon should go through all the pros and cons with your Dad. It is a big decision, but can have excellent outcomes.

Good luck to him.  :)
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline Bschaefer

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2011, 04:19:05 AM »
Glad the knee replacement worked for you just curious how old were you when you had the surgery?