Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Question for the horse people on here  (Read 2521 times)

Offline JustMeInNC

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Question for the horse people on here
« on: November 23, 2008, 05:39:08 PM »
One of my friends has recommended the jointed stirrups to help me ease the pain that i am having in my knees when i ride. I was wondering if anyone else has tried these and if they helped. If you have some recommendations on the best kinds to get that would be great too.
I'm so busy that I'm not sure if I lost my horse or just found my lead rope.

1989 - Right Knee - don't rember what they did
1997 - Right Knee - Orthoscopic clean up again
2000 - LR on left knee
2001 - LR on right knee
2008 -LR on right knee (again)
9-18-2009 - Maquet osteotomy right knee

Offline suehaem

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Question for the horse people on here
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 09:46:08 PM »
Hi,

There is a thread on this site where jointed stirrups are mentioned but I can't recall which one at the minute, but I'm sure someone will remember.  If he comes to me I will let you know

Best of luck

Sue
 ;D
North Wales
Fall from horse 04/04
Arthroscopy 27/07/07 -Grade III debridement
Re-injured knee running 1/03/08
Arthroscopy 11/10/08 - Grade II debridement
09/03/16 Fracture fib sking damage to knees
31/05/16 Grade 4 Chondromalacia and patella tilt (R)
17/11/16 Need new knee cap (L)knee
Awaiting Arthroscopy 2018

Offline rooshka

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 06:07:40 PM »
It may have been in the 'cruciate' section, probably about page 3 or 4 now.  People also advised riding without stirrups for the first 15 mins (walking) as it tends to helps to warm up and relax the knee.  I am going to try and ride for the first time this weekend so I will let you know!

Offline TraciJo

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 08:49:35 PM »
I haven't heard of these jointed stirrups before.  How are they different?  I am a long way from riding again.  But was already thinking of definitely getting the break away stirrups.  Can you give me more info about the jointed ones?
09/07 Accident / TPF
09/08 Placement of plate and screws
12/02 12 Week DR f/u, start WBAT rom 135
12/04 PT - WBAT exercises-started driving, wearing patella brace
12/08 Back to work - 4 hours a day
01/04/09 Walking w/o crutch, PT 2 a week
01/13 Released from OS/Still doing PT

Offline suehaem

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 10:14:03 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I rode for the first time this weekend my knee was quite good although rising trot was out of the question. I did find that my knee started to ache about half hour in (went out for an hour  ;D :o) I took it out of the stirrup for about 10 minutes which did help a little.  Had a little pain getting on but was okay for the best part of it.

I think the trick is probably adjusting the leg position if you can't get comfortable and letting the leg hang.  If anyone else has any ideas wouldlove to hear them.

Thanks

Sue
 ;D
North Wales
Fall from horse 04/04

Offline Audice

• Global Moderator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 10:57:37 PM »
I think the trick is probably adjusting the leg position if you can't get comfortable and letting the leg hang.  If anyone else has any ideas wouldlove to hear them.

I never did change my leg position against the saddle or the stirrup length after the injury but if I found my knee tightening up I'd simply do as you did...take my foot out of the stirrup & let it hang straight down or in whatever position made it most comfortable when we were just walking. Amazingly, at least to me, was that I never had trouble posting to the trot. My greatest concerns were mounting & dismounting...Ellie
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.

Offline maryc

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 18
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 03:31:36 AM »
TraciJo - check out this link for an explaination of jointed stirrups
http://www.horse-sense.org/archives/2000021.php
8/4/07 fell
8/5 diagnosed TPF
8/6 surgery plate and 6 screws
8/12 out of hospital NWM
8/21 staples removed
9/18 OS appt - WBAT with crutches
10/10 - WBAT with cane
10/27 - back to work w/cane
12/26 - no cane, slight limp when tired
1/25/08 - released from PT, no limp
2/3/09 - Released by OS

Offline suehaem

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 01:25:02 PM »
Hi Ellie,

I always mount from a step/block makes it a little easier.  I slide off the side putting my right leg over my horses neck and slide down (have to have a safe horse to do that though).  Mines been treating me well LOL.  I will just have to get through to the rising trot phase.   Will get there soon.  ;D

Sue
 ;D
North Wales
Fall from horse 04/04

Offline Audice

• Global Moderator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 03:29:56 PM »
I always mount from a step/block makes it a little easier.  I slide off the side putting my right leg over my horses neck and slide down (have to have a safe horse to do that though). 

Sue ~ We have mounting blocks all over the place but for some reason I feel uncomfortable using one. I just have to be careful after my left foot is in the stirrup not to twist my right knee (the bad one). And believe it or not I've been dismounting as you do for eons, probably 20 years or more, & even my own horse who got silly at the wrong time & was responsible for my injury, never had any problem with my unorthodox dismount. I think I'd have a tough time dismounting "properly" at this point...Ellie
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.

Offline suehaem

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2008, 08:41:35 PM »
Me to always have got off like that except when I did my NVQ LOL (was frowned upon LOL). Would not like to even try getting off like that now.  It was my left knee that I did so that is my mounting side s have to be a little careful, I'm luck because this pony is not the one who caused my problems LOL.

Sue
 ;D
North Wales
Fall from horse 04/04

Offline Lyndsey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • Crooked and Twisted!
    • Knee Pics at Photobucket
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2008, 08:00:06 PM »
Hi all!

I have found that riding English, with the shorter stirrups, causes me a good bit of pain after about 15 minutes. I find it easier to ride without the stirrups, although that takes a good bit of muscle that I don't necessarily have! lol.

I am lucky to have a pretty versatile show horse, who goes both English and Western. I started back riding about 10 weeks after I had my femur derotated. My still twisted leg is what causes me pain. I have found that if I ride Western, or with longer stirrups, I can ride more from my seat versus my legs. I also use spurs so that I don't have to use too much leg. My horse is pretty push button after 10 years of me training him, so I use that to my advantage.

I suppose I have changed the way I ride since my knee issues started. I don't put alot of weight in my stirrups, and just balance in my seat.

Sue,
I agree with you about dismounting! I always find the pain to be the worst when I hit the ground. Getting off that way makes it a little less of an impact. Although, with this awful cold weather, when I hit the ground, everything hurts! lol.

This is a great thread, it's awesome to have all the horse ppl in one place. I wasn't nervous when I started riding post op, but my mom about had a coronary!

Hope everyone has a great day!
Lyndsey
5/15/08      R femoral derotational osteotomy
1/19/09      L femoral derotational osteotomy
12/17/09  hardware removal (L&R femoral blade plates and screws)
10/28/10 removal of bone chip and cleanup of scar tissue on left
4/2014 15 deg. Re-rotation of L Femur
9/2014 L. Plate Removal & Fix Fracture

Offline JustMeInNC

• Regular Poster
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2008, 09:01:52 PM »
My daughter was the one that had the cornary when I got back in the saddle, but then again she does not trust my 4 year old appy as far as she can throw her and she cant even pick her up (her words not mine). But Fancy has been a doll baby since my surgery....now if only she would be a doll baby to the new baby in the pasture all would be good  ;D

2000 - LR on left knee
2001 - LR on right knee

Offline suehaem

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2008, 10:45:10 PM »
Unfortunately they have minds of their own LOL

Sue
 ;D
North Wales
Fall from horse 04/04

Offline Lyndsey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • Crooked and Twisted!
    • Knee Pics at Photobucket
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2008, 03:45:45 AM »
Sue,
They sure do have minds of their own! Sometimes I really wish I could know what they are thinking! I can tell when Cody's thinking about doing something, but boy do I wish I knew exactly why he does what he does. I know we understand them to a point, but they do have minds of their own!

Wow, a 4 year old! She must be really quiet for you to ride post op, thats surprising for a 4 year old! You are really lucky! My horse is 13 and sometimes I wonder whether I should even ride him! lol. I've been riding him since he was 3, so I can't imagine not riding him. I can imagine how nervous your daughter was! How old is she? My littlest sister is 8 and she was really nervous about me riding again, she just fed my moms fire! lol.

I know this is way off topic, but have any of you seen Stacy Westfall's bareback and bridless freestyle reining to Tim McGraw's Live Like You Were Dying? I saw it years ago at Congress, but watched it on youtube today. If you have never seen it you should definitely check it out on youtube. It is absolutely amazing!

Lyndsey
5/15/08      R femoral derotational osteotomy
1/19/09      L femoral derotational osteotomy
12/17/09  hardware removal (L&R femoral blade plates and screws)
10/28/10 removal of bone chip and cleanup of scar tissue on left
4/2014 15 deg. Re-rotation of L Femur
9/2014 L. Plate Removal & Fix Fracture

Offline JustMeInNC

• Regular Poster
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2008, 04:18:20 PM »
Yea my 4 year old appy can be a complete PAIN in the BUTT but most of the time she is really good. I have had her since she was 4 months old and did all her training myself so far. There are times that the wind blows her tail in the wrong direction and she will launch herself to the moon, but so far I have been able to stick and hang on either that or i just fall off. She is one of 5 horses that we have at home.
My daughter, who is 13, has a 32 year old paint mare and a 10 month old paint colt
I have a 7 year old QH/Appy mare and my 4 year old Appy mare  and a 11 month old warmblood colt.

2000 - LR on left knee
2001 - LR on right knee