Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Just had number 14 op! BUT having a problem not experienced before?? UPDATE!  (Read 1149 times)

Offline Jules

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • No matter what keep smiling!!!
Hi I have just had number 14 knee op, see list of operations below.
But this time I am experiencing something I have never had before.

I had my op of an open lateral release on my left knee almost 6 weeks ago.
I am and have been since the swelling went down feeling what I can only say is like movable scar tissue.
Its about 7cm long and 3 cm wide and I can move it between finger to finger.
It hurts on bending sometimes, especially when I have done too much and the swelling starts up again , but when I am in bed asleep and lie on that side and with bending my knee in my sleep, the pain can sometimes wake me up and my knee can be quite swollen in the morning?
This is very irritating and painful.

Does anyone know what this is, and has had experience of it, and is it likely for my surgeon to want to go back in and sort it out?

Thank you.

Jules
xx
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 08:31:55 AM by Jules »
Apr 01 - bi-lat debride
Dec 01 - bi-lat mircrofracture & LR
Nov 02 - bi-lat debride & LR
Oct 04 - bi-lat A'scopy & harvest
Nov 04 - R ACI
June 05 - R A'scopy/shave
May 06 - R TKR
Aug 06 - L  PFJR
Jan 07 - L open LR
Oct 08 - L open LR
Feb 09 - L A'scopy/shave
July 09 - L TKR......
20 ops in 13 years

gigi67

Re: Just had number 14 op! BUT having a problem not experienced before?? Help!
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 07:44:52 PM »
with so many surgeries its any wodner you have got so much scar tissue. May I ask:
IOf after any of these surgeries you were instructed to ice regularly? Icing can retard scar tissue growth. Im a bit surprised if your Os hasnt already cleaned up the scar in any one of these various surgeries.There is a mesh lining that can be used in SOME surgeries to help retard the growth...I dont know if thats an option with knee surgery but I know when I get my insurance in January..( been without since this summer) and go back for a check up on my knee if he wants to do any more iinvasive procedures I am going to ask if the mesh stuff can be used or not.
Alos, rehab can give you a special rubbery gummy stuff that you place over the scar and wrap with an ace bandage over nights and it softens the scar. of course regular vigorous message to break it up. also ultrasound at rehab or also a  chiropractor can reduce / break up scar tissue.

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 04:30:00 AM »
If I were to guess I'd guess this as scar tissue. Be careful not to overdo as the knee swelling then all sorts of bad things start happening in the knee.  Do you think a nerve is pinched?  In my case I was healing along the scar but started having problems with pain.  The pain caused the knee to swell and the nerve became intrapped in the scar tissue.  You don't want that, as you know  I would give the os a call, just to make sure.  eagle

Offline Jules

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 01:40:50 PM »
Hi thank you for both of your replies, I should have also said that this ? scar tissue lump is about 3cm away from my surgical scar, right on the very side of the outer part of the knee joint and right under the skin.

Eaglemom - It doesn't feel like a nerve pinch, the pain is not that intense. I am due to see my surgeon on Thursday so I will see what he has to say.

Gigi67 - You know I have never asked if he has removed any scar tissue during any of my ops, I will ask on Thursday. Yes I alwas use ice packs regularly after my ops. It hasn't made any difference to this 'movable lump'.

Any more thoughts appreciated.

Kindest regards
Jules
xx

Apr 01 - bi-lat debride
Nov 04 - R ACI
May 06 - R TKR
Aug 06 - L  PFJR
Jan 07 - L open LR
Oct 08 - L open LR
Feb 09 - L A'scopy/shave
July 09 - L TKR......
20 ops in 13 years

Offline Jules

• SuperKNEEgeek
Hi went to see my surgeon today, he said its either soft tissue or cartlidge, so going in for number 15 op may be before christmas if he can fit me in. I hope this sorts it out, hes hoping to do it through arthroscopy this time.
Best wishes
Jules
Apr 01 - bi-lat debride
Nov 04 - R ACI
May 06 - R TKR
Aug 06 - L  PFJR
Jan 07 - L open LR
Oct 08 - L open LR
Feb 09 - L A'scopy/shave
July 09 - L TKR......
20 ops in 13 years

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2008, 05:25:29 PM »
Glad you have an answer.  I'm trying to hang and not have any surgery.  Which is stupid because I'm the one with the pain!  I too have something very similar, around the scar and then away from the scar.  I think I'm hesitant because I'm uncertain as to what it is.  Does that make any sense?  Anyway, keep us informed.  What about recovery time?  I'd hate to assume "its just a scope" means you'll be dancing on the street in 3 days!  You will have to recover from a scope.  You obviously know the drill, ice and elevation.  Glad your os is on top of this.  Maybe he'd see me too!!?  eagle

Offline Jules

• SuperKNEEgeek
Eaglemom, I think for me I would try anything to get rid of some of this pain, and its not normal to have these movable bumps and things, so better sorted out. I know what you mean though, after having so many surgeries, why should the next one sort everything out when the last 14 haven't quite done their job fully! But for me life is a lot better from me my knees giving way all the time and falling over and having to go to A&E repeatedly. Also that was my lowest point and I was on antidepressents and in a wheelchair for 6 months.
So yes it was worth all of them, but I'm still and probably never will be pain free or able to do a lot of things I used to do.
Yeah a scope still takes me about 4-8 weeks to recover from, but obviously it depends on what he is going to do and what he finds out when he goes in there and what it really is.
Yep got the drill imprinted in my brain and all the exercises! LOL.
My surgeon is great, I have been with him for 7 years now and we have a great relationship and he really listens, I'm very lucky. Don't know what I will do when he retires, hopefully not for a long time yet! LOL.
Best wishes hun, may be you should see someone just to ask a few questions?
Jules
xx
Apr 01 - bi-lat debride
Nov 04 - R ACI
May 06 - R TKR
Aug 06 - L  PFJR
Jan 07 - L open LR
Oct 08 - L open LR