Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Please can someone help my mum?  (Read 1422 times)

Offline vanhalen

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Please can someone help my mum?
« on: November 20, 2008, 08:58:11 PM »
Hi everyone,
Ive just joined this wonderful site and hope that someone could help my mum, who is 81 and suffering with her knees. She seems to be ok walking but going up and down stairs she is in pain and says that it feels as though the knee will give out. She sometimes has trouble straightening her knees and getting up from sitting, as well as it, locking up.
I know this is old age, ive tried to convince her to have an operation, but being the little stubborn so and so, i wonder if there are any good knee support products out there?
Any help would be invaluable.
Thanks again
Rich

Offline bavage

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Meniscectomy 8/07 TKR 7/08 MUA 10/08
Re: Please can someone help my mum?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 09:41:42 PM »
There are slip on braces/bandages made especially for the knees that give limited support. She might also wrap an Ace bandage around her kneee for support.
you don't say whether she is having any pain or if she has ever had knee trouble before.
Certified Dietary Manager, ServSafe Proctor, Options Trader.           

AKA, The Curmudgeon

Offline vanhalen

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 11:19:50 PM »
Thanks bavage, shes had pain with her knees, the last few years, gradually getting worse. I just know theres something she coud use that would help her.

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 11:31:01 PM »
There are lots of things that could help her but she has to be willing to help herself. Nothing anyone on the internet can do. An orthopedic surgeon can make an diagnosis and prescribe treatment that will help. "Old age" is not a diagnosis.

Offline digginit

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 09:04:56 AM »
A big problem for lots of elderly folks is deconditioning -- they get out of shape fast, and their muscles get weak.  If she has painful knees, this is likely a problem for her.  Knee pain is worse as the muscles around the knee become weaker. 

PT for strengthening may do her knees more good than you'd guess.  She might even be a willing participant.  Most older people welcome having PT because they recognize weakness is a problem and it's a little frightening. 

It's not uncommon for folks to complain of knees "buckling" when muscle weakness is the big problem.

~dig

Offline plantgeek58

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 06:15:14 PM »
Hi Rich,
if the knee trouble is due to arthritis, there isn't really any operation other than joint replacement that will help with it. Unless she's in good physical shape to begin with, that may not be a good option. The recovery is long and painful. If she has osteoporosis, the operation itself becomes complicated, because there's the risk that her bones may fracture during the procedure.

It would be good to at least see an orthopedic surgeon, however. He would be able to examine her to find out what really is going on and recommend treatment. If it does turn out to be no more than arthritis, she may benefit from either hyalgan or cortizone injections, or as digginit has suggested, physical therapy to strengthen the muscles and increase circulation in the joint. You can also try glucosamine/chondroitin supplements, which you can buy over the counter. I personally don't believe the claims that they help rebuild cartilage, but my experience has been that they do offer some pain relief.
Terre
RK 7/04 part. m. menisc., plica resect., MF
    3/05 part. m. menisc., open OATS
    1/07 part l. menisc., MF, patellar chondroplasty
    9/08 MF
LK 11/04 & 8/06 part m. menisc.
     7/07 LR, patellar tendon debrid., part m. menisc.

Offline vanhalen

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 08:06:31 PM »
Guys , thankyou so far for your help.I will be making an appointment for my mum to see an orthopedic surgeon asap, and any further help and info would be warmly welcomed. Thanks again.
Rich

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 08:44:37 PM »
Another thought for her is to check into a PT place or similar that might have a water exercise class.  Many now have special ones just for seniors with arthritis.  The water is usually very warm and helps take some weight off the joints so strengthening them isn't so difficult.

'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline maryc

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 18
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2008, 03:08:09 AM »
For the water classes check your local Y or the check the Arthritis Foundation web site.
8/4/07 fell
8/5 diagnosed TPF
8/6 surgery plate and 6 screws
8/12 out of hospital NWM
8/21 staples removed
9/18 OS appt - WBAT with crutches
10/10 - WBAT with cane
10/27 - back to work w/cane
12/26 - no cane, slight limp when tired
1/25/08 - released from PT, no limp
2/3/09 - Released by OS

Offline fatcats6

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2008, 07:34:25 AM »
All I can offer is, definately further investigation, yes it could be old age but what if it's not and something can be done.  Both of you would be devastated if she had a nasty fall and had to recover from that.  I would also recommend some gentle exercise in warm water, there are usually a couple of classes run at your local pool or Y and it's a great way to make friends with like minded people and improve her health. But first the OS appointment.  There are really knowledgable people on this site but you need expert help.

Feb 08 Fractured left patella
Jul 08 Released 115 degrees ROM
17/10/08 Dislocated & fractured right patella
2/12 45 deg
6/12 Drove car
16/12 92 deg
21/1 105 deg discharged from PT