Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Chondroplasty/Micro-fracture surgery.....  (Read 2495 times)

Offline Jeremy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Chondroplasty/Micro-fracture surgery.....
« on: November 20, 2008, 04:30:12 AM »
I am just wondering if anyone here has heard of someone having a micro-fracture procedure and not having any restrictions after surgery?  Also, is there a difference between "picking the area" rather than the medical term of "micro-fracuture"?  Just curious, my OS said he picked the area to stimulate cartilage growth in my patellofemoral joint but I had no restrictions after surgery.. I'm 13 days out of surgery and I was squatting and doing lunges at day 5....Everything I read says to be non-weight bearing post-surgery...Any thoughts?

Offline Marjan

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Chondroplasty/Micro-fracture surgery.....
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 04:18:18 PM »
Hi Jeremy,

I think "picking" and microfracture can be interchanged.  They used to "drill", but nowadays they have a tool that basically "taps" a hole into the bone.
Post surgical protocols often depend on the surgeon and what he/she feels works the best.  I know that if you have the MFX done on the weight bearing surfaces of the condyles or tibial plateau, people are usually on crutches for anywhere from 4-8 weeks.  I've recently had MFX done on my tochlear  groove  and was allowed weight bearing from day one, but in an immobilizer brace (no weight bearing bending of the knee) for 6 weeks.  It's generally accepted that the first 8 weeks are critical for smooth development of the "clot" or fibrocartilage scar. 
If you are uncomfortable with your rehab protocol, ask your doctor!  They may have a perfectly good explanation for their protocols.

Good luck,

marjan

Offline adlottis

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Chondroplasty/Micro-fracture surgery.....
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 06:14:09 PM »
Hi Jeremy,

I had a chondroplasty along with a TTT, LR and Medial reefeing.  I was supposed to be on crutches NWB for 2 weeks ended up being NWB for 4 weeks, and on crutches for 11 weeks, partially because of the chondroplasty.  My damage was located behind the patella and the trochlear groove due to numerous subluxions and dislocations.

Annette
1976 first dislocation 10 years old
1980 14 yrs old LR, MR, remove chip bone
1980-2005 numerous dislocations
March 2007 Proximal/distal realignment, chondroplasty
July 2007 MUA
July 2008  synvisc
Sept 2008 patellar tendon tendonitis
June 2009 hardware removal, LR, debriedment