Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: PT taping knee post microfx surg  (Read 1019 times)

Offline michelel

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
PT taping knee post microfx surg
« on: November 19, 2008, 11:10:18 PM »
Hey yall anyone ever had knee kinetics taping/  Its suppose to relieve pain temporarily.  Im 14 week post op MF still having lots of pain more pain  than prior to surgery at the same spot (inner knee).  I was taking vicodin 5/500 and it was taking the edge off of the pain, i had a refill, went to pick it up and the doctor had changed it to darvocet, what the heck?  and its totally not helping, called OS office to tell them and they basically said deal with it.  I am so dang stressed out over this and myh pain level is intollerable,  just had the taping done today so far no relief.  any suugestions
thanks
michele
Right Knee:  1983 meniscal tear scope debridment &lateral release. 1991, 1997, 2001
2003 scope meniscal tears. 
8-08 MFX MFC lesion FAILED.
 4-09 Went in for OATS-not a canidate.
 6-09 Uni Right MFC.

Offline Marjan

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: PT taping knee post microfx surg
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 04:24:00 PM »
Hi Michele,

I, too, have had MFX surgery and it's a long, sometimes painful, rehab.  Because the early weeks/months are spent protecting the site, you've probably lost a lot of your quad muscle strength.  This can often lead to pain on the medial (inner) side, sorta under the knee cap.  The VMO, which is part of the quad muscle (it's the teardrop shaped on on the medial side of your thigh, close to your kneecap) disappears very quickly after surgery and takes forever to come back.  The lack of this muscle can be causing your symptoms.  Have you seen a good physical therapist, or physio?  Taping the knee cap towards that VMO muscle often helps relieve that pain. Doing lots of quad strengthening exercises while your knee is taped is one of the best things you can do to help rehab that knee!

good luck,

marjan

Offline ghost

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • left knee
Re: PT taping knee post microfx surg
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 12:06:37 PM »
Hi,

You're right the pain is a good reminder.  Of course, the other day when I was having a pity party for myself as I was in the car headed off to do errands I also got a reminder.  I was feeling bad for myself because of the continued pain and upcoming surgery and along the road I met a man with no legs out in his racing wheelchair.  So in hindsight I've really got nothing to complain about.

I've been pretty good about getting the Christmas shopping done early.  In fact I got the word about the 3rd surgery back on September 29th and started my shopping the following weekend so I'm in pretty good shape.  I'll probably venture out on Black Friday and finish up the rest of it.  I've also been remodeling my 21 year old daughter's bedroom.  She and her soon to be husband built a house and are just about ready to move in.  It's nice to see a normal color on the walls.  She had painted her room lipstick red in a semi gloss paint.  Yuch!!  Now we're back to a tan and light turquoise blue scheme and the room will be ready for my dad who will be down on Sunday to spend the holiday with us. In fact I just finished mounting the curtain tie backs and hanging a couple of pictures so other than a light cleaning it's ready to go.

I luck out on the PT travel time, he is less than 1/4 mile away.  Even with a bum leg I could probably walk there in under 5 minutes.  I live in Goffstown, NH but about 2 miles outside of town - his is the only business in the area and even residential homes are pretty sparse.  My brother-in-law and his wife live on an adjacent piece of property, but other than that my closest neighbor is a 1/2 mile away.

Surgery is about the same distance as your pt is.  The surgery will be done at Mass General West Hospital's facility in Waltham, Ma.  It's just south of Boston.

You've definitely got the MO right, on the day of surgery I've never been in pain.  It always makes me wonder.  The difference between humans and animals is supposed to be that we humans are logical, reasoning beings.  So why would a logical person walk into a place comparatively pain free knowing that they will neither be walking out nor pain free?  And too boot we do it voluntarily.

Thankfully I do enjoy some sedentary hobbies.  I'm an avid reader and I knit about 10 sets of hats and mittens every year and donate them to the homeless shelter.  I also just purchased some yarn to start an afghan so that will keep me busy.

I am supposed to go to a function for work on 12/5.  Not sure if I'll make it or not.  I've already warned the attorney I'm attending with that I will be in a brace and likely on crutches and as for pain meds I would have to wait and see.

Hope things continue to improve.

Sue
rt k med meniscus 1983
rt k lat meniscus 2001
lft k med meniscus 12/07
lft knee medial meniscus 6/08 with chondroplasty & debridement of the suprapatella pouch
lft knee trochlear groove MFX 12/2/08 with chondroplasty and debridement of the suprapatella pouch
7/31/09 trochlear groove resurfacing