Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Screw coming out!!?? ACL Reconstruction  (Read 3958 times)

Offline robbonnici

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Screw coming out!!?? ACL Reconstruction
« on: November 19, 2008, 08:21:24 AM »
Hi All,

Its been a while since Ive been on here but here goes:-

I've had the ACL on both knees reconstructed using the hamstring method. Both were footballing injuries. I had the last op around 2 1/2 years ago and Ive been playing football three times a week since then (24 years old now living in Dubai).

Anyway, I got a knock playing football last night and was in a bit of pain but nothing much. When I got home I noticed that there was a hard lump (feels like metal) protruding from below my knee where the new ACL is screwed in. Its very obvious (sticking out a mile) and very hard.

Whats even wierder is that there is a section on both of my legs that became numb following the operations. When I touch the screw areas on my knees I get a funny tingling sensation in the numb areas!! This how now stopped (over night) on my lumpy leg!!!

Whats happening? Anyone got any ideas.

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: Screw coming out!!?? ACL Reconstruction
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 09:38:12 AM »
Hi,
Franken-leg eh?

Well first off, dont worry - it may be nothing. My body laid down bone over my TTT screw so now I have a hard bump that sticks out at the screw site, but you can see in x-ray its bone over the screw, not the screw sticking out.

If it is the screw trying to escape then you can rest assured, its long enough since your op that all the healing has happened, so maybe its time to get the hardware out? Its not a big deal to get them out, a number of people here have had it done.

The tingling/numb sensations you talk about sound like surface nerves, they may have knitted back on the leg that is no longer tingling.

If I were you Id go see an OS to discuss the screws, he will take an x-ray and see do they need to come out.
1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

support