Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Knee Replacement Post Op Advice  (Read 816 times)

Offline kneekat

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Knee Replacement Post Op Advice
« on: November 18, 2008, 06:24:24 PM »
I have only just found the board and was wondering if any one out there could offer me some advice.  I have just had a full knee replacement, (had my staples out this morning) any way the reason I am asking for advice is that I am struggling in getting my movement back, and cannot lift my leg up whilst straight at all.  I have been told by the doctor that I just need to keep trying, but was wondering if anyone else took a while and how long it could be?  It was a little disheartning as the other lady in my ward could already wave her leg around one week after the op.

Any helpful advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Knee Replacement Post Op Advice
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 06:41:56 PM »
Hi and congrats on your new knee!

Everyone heals at different rates, which includes pain levels and movent progress!

Your doc is right - just keep trying those leg raises - the quads need to fire back up - it will come, you just need to really concentrat on that area ! once you have done one the rest will come easier!

Make sure you keep up with your pain meds as well - nothing worse than chasing the pain !
feel free to read my post op diary - I was lucky in that I was able to get going quickly post op - no particular reason - just happened like that!

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0

anj

« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 06:44:07 PM by UK Girl ! »
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

Offline digginit

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 06:53:45 PM »
Hey Kat!  I'm 7 weeks post-op today with a right TKA.  I found it difficult to get me leg up too at first.  What I did, and it helped a lot, was to use a resistance band around my foot...and I used my arms to help just a little bit at first.  That way my quads would be working even though they couldn't do all the work on their own.

As I got better at doing the SLRs I still used the resistance band some to help keep my leg in extension while I did the exercises.  It helped with stretching my calves early on too.

Hope this helps!!!

~dig

Offline bavage

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Meniscectomy 8/07 TKR 7/08 MUA 10/08
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 10:24:37 PM »
Welcome to the club. Your inability to raise your leg will disappear when you have regained your muscle tone. Be faithful about your exercises,try to do them at home (not just at PT) and everything will be O.K.
Some of us are luckier than others ,but the end result is what you are aiming for. Good luck.

Certified Dietary Manager, ServSafe Proctor, Options Trader.           

AKA, The Curmudgeon

Offline kneekat

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 11:55:01 AM »
I just wanted to say thankyou to the helpful advice, it is always reasurring to hear from others who have gone through the same operation, and I am certainly looking forward to being able to throw my crutches away  ;) eventually