Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Rehab for Knee Effusion  (Read 6403 times)

Offline TFSpaniel

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Rehab for Knee Effusion
« on: November 18, 2008, 01:39:03 AM »
History--Running a 5k race my left knee gave out.  Finished the last mile walking.  Had considerable pain for two days and could not walk without limp. 

Saw physician and x-ray revealed no pathology or fractures.  Radiologist said everything in good alignment except knee effused.  Did RICE for a week and took ibuprophen and x-tra strength acetaminophen concomitantly. 

The MD said if things did not improve that a MRI was in order.  But the pain became bearable and have been wearing a knee brace since and walking normally.  Seven weeks after the injury my knee only has pain periodically in the morning when arising but improves after I get going. I am a avid swing dancer and have cautiously been out a couple of times and able to perform with no limitations.  In fact my knee felt better after dancing. I AM 65 years old and have no history of arthritis.

My question:  When will the pain which is mild completely leave and what are some good exercises that can be done to improve my complete recovery?

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated!

Offline TFSpaniel

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Rehab for Knee Effusion
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 04:24:52 AM »
Bump

Offline digginit

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 09:59:56 AM »
You can never go wrong with straight leg raises.  Strengthening the muscles around the knee minimizes the forces on the joint itself. 
Effusions are obviosly a sign of something wrong (maybe a meniscus tear or arthritis?).  But if the symptoms are improving, maybe rest, ice, strengthening, and time will do the trick.

~dig

Offline TFSpaniel

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 04:24:56 PM »
Thanks "dig" for your comments and suggestions.  I will take them to heart
and hopefully I will not need surgery!  At my age maybe it will just take much longer to recover  completely than I think it should??

Offline JoniF

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 05:30:43 PM »
Hi TF,

I am recovering from a severe patella effusion and I was told that I could have therapy or just wiat until the swelling goes down on it's own.  I also did not have any structural damage.  I did have alot of blood and fuid in my knee though.  They never did figure out where the blood came from.  I was in a n immobizer and on crutches for a few weeks.  It takes a long time to go down however; I did mine in the beginning of October and I am still swollen and painful.  I found that alot RICE really helps.  Have patience and do plenty of ankle pumps.

Take care and feel better,
Joni
1989 Lateral Release, debridement, and arthroscopic surgery - lk
1996 TTT, Elmslie-trillat procedure, lateral release and debridement - lk
1997 Debridement and hardware removal - lk
2006 Lateral Release, 2 meniscus tears repaired, & acl repair - lk
2008 Sev Patella Effusion - rt knee

Offline TFSpaniel

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 10:59:24 PM »
Thanks too Joni for your comments.  I never had any swelling or bruising after the  injury, structural damage nor fluid in my knee but was hot for a few days or so indicating inflammation.

I am resigned to fact that I have to be patient and hopefully time will heal.  Thanks again for the previous comments.  It gives me some solace!

I am actually feeling pretty good today and will enter the local dance club tonight for a few dances my first love but will not overdo it!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 11:01:49 PM by TFSpaniel »

Offline JoniF

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 09:18:31 PM »
Hi TFSpaniel,

Hope you have a great time today, just be careful not to overdue it.

Tak care,
Joni
1989 Lateral Release, debridement, and arthroscopic surgery - lk
1996 TTT, Elmslie-trillat procedure, lateral release and debridement - lk
1997 Debridement and hardware removal - lk
2006 Lateral Release, 2 meniscus tears repaired, & acl repair - lk
2008 Sev Patella Effusion - rt knee