Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: knee issues! Help!  (Read 916 times)

Offline cothirteen

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
knee issues! Help!
« on: November 17, 2008, 05:34:22 PM »
For several years I have been experiencing pain in my right knee. Also several years ago I developed a large lump behind my right knee. I went to an OS who believed it to be a Baker's cyst. I wasn't having severe pain that was causing me to limit my acitivites at the time so nothing was done about it. However, about 2 weeks ago I started feeling pain in the back of my knee [not the cyst], on the sides of my knee and down into my calf. Went to a OS who sent me for a MRI last Friday. Prior to that [since I have pain in my calf] I was sent for an ultrasound to rule out a DVT [which they did] the Ultrasound showed a large hematoma in my calf which indicated a possible calf tear.

I have an appointment coming up but am worried about what this may be. The pain is mostly dull and achy but can be sharp at time especially if I twist my knee. I am also experiencing crazy stiffness in my knee that is made worse by sitting for too long. For the past few years I have had trouble doing lunges because I seem to have no stability in my knee. Lunges are somewhat painful so I tend to avoid them :). My knee has given out a few times over the years. Anyways, not sure if anyone can help me but I tend to worry so this may put my mind at ease. Thanks in advance!

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
Re: knee issues! Help!
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 07:26:20 PM »
Baker's cysts are an indication that something is wrong in your knee. They're not really a big deal by themselves and rarely need to be removed. They can go away if the underlying problem is resolved.

Instability is a symptom of a torn ACL. Having an unstable knee that gives out often leads to further damage in your knee. In my case, the instability lead to a torn meniscus.

That being said, nobody can tell you what's wrong with your knee over the internet. You'll have to wait for the MRI results for that.

Offline FindnNemo91

• Forum Faithful
    • My Facebook Profile
Re: knee issues! Help!
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 07:36:04 PM »
I tore my calf a while ago. try standing up on your toes and if there is severe pain or you cant even do it, there is likely a tear. also, if there is a tear, you probably cant flex the muscle. i was also sent, before i tore my calf, to get an ultrasound for a blood clot, and it was negative.

hope it gets better,
jak
TTT/Lateral Release/Chondroplasty: May 15th, 2009
Brostrom Reconstruction: Oct 16th, 2009

~United States Army~
Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic