Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 5 DAYS PO AND FALLING APART  (Read 780 times)

Offline mmbranch

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
5 DAYS PO AND FALLING APART
« on: November 14, 2008, 09:21:13 PM »
i have gotten over the initial shock of the surgery i was really uneducated with what to expect and still am unfortunatly. i had about a weeks notice of the surgery TTT happening put a rush on it due to lack of insurance after the end of Dec.  I had surgery Monday woke up and was wheeled to car basically told have a nice life, no one showed me how to use crutches, how long to ice to FWB PWBor do nothing and for how long. i did manage to get threw monday and have my meds changed and was told i could get a nurse and pt to come out to the house which isnt true i can pay them and get partial reimbursment. i havent gotten the hang of the crutches so i have basically been FWB from day one using furniture to navigate my house i do have an immobilzer and the ace wrap thingy on it.  ok well i still have concerns like am i doing myself alot of harm weight bearing from the start, is my foot supposed to be so swollen that it feels like it will burst any moment, are blisters normal at the dressing site noticed these when i changed dressing this morning.  and is there any amount of bruising that should concern me my leg is splotchy black blue purple everywhere. And one more question when is it ok to apply heat i soaked just my feet last night in epsom salt and man did it feel like heaven. i apologize for this being so incredibly long but as luck would have it i have a single practice OS and he decided to go on vacation(doesnt he know he cant do that while im ill) and his stand in wont return calls. i wish i were a Mrs. Potatoe Head so i could just change body parts out

Offline paulst

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: 5 DAYS PO AND FALLING APART
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 09:31:35 PM »
omg...are you not in a brace or plaster?
put your leg up and rest,probably why your foot is swollen.your leg will be bruised,mine was from ankle to groin basically.
complain i would,about the lack of help.

hope u feel better soon.
sept 05 lk injury
july 06 arthroscopy lk
sept 07arthroscopy lk
feb 08 acl recon lk
june 08 ttt lk
april 09 mpfl + screw removal lk

Offline maryc

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 09:36:39 PM »
I never really mastered crutches and used a walker until I went WBAT.  As for the recovery protocol for a TTT I suggest you read some of the other diaries of TTT people and let them be your guide, since your OS won't take to you. (If it were me and he wouldn't return my calls, I would call every 15 minutes until he did)  I doubt that the blisters are "normal".
Like I said, this is too much for you to be going through alone with 3 kids - call a local church and ask for help - they will be more than willing even if you are not a member.
8/4/07 fell
8/5 diagnosed TPF
8/6 surgery plate and 6 screws
8/12 out of hospital NWM
8/21 staples removed
9/18 OS appt - WBAT with crutches
10/10 - WBAT with cane
10/27 - back to work w/cane
12/26 - no cane, slight limp when tired
1/25/08 - released from PT, no limp
2/3/09 - Released by OS

Offline mmbranch

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 02:34:56 AM »
the brace im trusting my knee with is just three sticks ( metal ) cloth and 6 velcro straps.
the kids have actually been a great asset rather than the worry i thought they were going to be i joined netflix first movie came today, Dora's Halloween ( my fav :-\ ) and me and the crockpot have become best friends. hadnt used in years  but blew the dust off and made a roast.  ;D.  the kids decorated my brace today with markers and stickers looks beautiful and kept them busy for 2 hours.  i just am nervous about things and everyday it seems something new wants to show up.

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 04:59:41 AM »
I really think you've got to ice ice ice and elevate.  Swelling causes pain and the cycle goes on and on.  Try to stay off it as much as possible.  And if you've got questions keep calling.  eagle