Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Is it safe to continue running...  (Read 802 times)

Offline richisgame

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Is it safe to continue running...
« on: November 14, 2008, 07:08:01 PM »
subject: Is it safe to continue running while experiencing a growing awareness centered on the front of my knees, when (running, or) going up/down stairs

First of all I have read through several pages of this forum, and my heart goes out to all of the legitimate sufferers posting here.
As there is no seriousness to my situation yet, I therefore beg the indulgence of your help/advice, as there are so many more who already have legitimate conditions. However, I am writing this seeking information to avoid, if possible, a condition from developing.

Unlike my sister, who had double knee replacement last year, I have not as yet had any real problems with my knees, though I am currently having some "indications" I want to find answers for.

I am 48 years old, and though overweight, I am in excellent shape. I like to run 4 miles a day when I can, and sometimes that is every day of the week.

Lately, I have been noticing some similar feelings in the front of my knees. It started out with the left knee only, and has since been noticeable, though not as much, in the right one as well.

There is no pain, nor swelling. Nor is there any feeling of hyper-extension, weakness, or giving way. There is no clicking, popping or the feeling that anything on the inside is moving around. It is difficult to describe as anything but an awareness of something disconcerting. The focal point of discomfort on both knees is just below the kneecap. The feeling causes me to refrain from running up or down inclines or stairs, and to approach them gingerely. It should me noted, it does not affect or slow down the run itself. The symptoms do not get worse after a run. And though it has been happening for a couple of weeks now, and am beginning to notice it in the right knee as well, it is not getting worse.

As there is no pain, or any other obvious symptoms, I am hesitant to go to a doctor, and use up resources for those who are more needy. In fact if possible, I would like to nip this in the bud, and avoid having to see one.

As I am already overweight, although I run nearly daily, I do not want to stop this exercise, or obesity will certainly result.  I also need the run for mental fitness reasons as well. Therefore, I do not want to stop running at all if I can help it.

Basically, I am looking for someone to authoritatively tell me: 1.) it is probably nothing but aging, or normal wear and tear, as there are no more serious symptoms. And, that it is safe to continue running barring experiencing more serious symptoms. Or, 2.) if I'm feeling something, even if there are no serious symptoms or pain, a serious condition could be in the offing, and before one of those develop I should, a.) see a doctor at my nearest convenience, or b.) stop running, for a period of time, (hopefully short), then resume and see if there is a change.

Any and all help/advice that can be offered is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Richard

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Is it safe to continue running...
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 08:10:08 PM »
if it was me - I would stop running for a couple of weeks and then on retarting if the 'feeling' comes back I would seek advice from a professional - you already know what your sister has gone through and no point in going in that direction yourself. As for being overweight - it goes without saying that maybe you need to adjust you intake to burn off ratio.

horrible getting old isn't it ! ya hit 40 and it all starts to go wrong !

take care
anj
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

Offline plantgeek58

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 08:58:28 PM »
I agree with Anja. Give it a couple of weeks rest and see if the discomfort comes back. Don't feel bad about seeing a professional just because you think the problem is minor. You have as much right as anyone else to seek help in preserving the health of your joints. If this is just a minor problem, the doctor may recommend PT, which will help you strengthen your legs so it won't recur.

Be prepared for the doctor to recommend switching to a lower impact activity, however. Most OS will tell you that running is the fastest way to wear out the cartilage in your knees. As hard as may be to give it up, and believe me, I do know, it may be in your best interest to switch to biking or swimming to maintain your fitness.
Terre
RK 7/04 part. m. menisc., plica resect., MF
    3/05 part. m. menisc., open OATS
    1/07 part l. menisc., MF, patellar chondroplasty
    9/08 MF
LK 11/04 & 8/06 part m. menisc.
     7/07 LR, patellar tendon debrid., part m. menisc.

Offline bavage

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Meniscectomy 8/07 TKR 7/08 MUA 10/08
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 09:47:44 PM »
I have an altogether different outlook. As you read post after post on this board you discover that a lot of people have trouble with their knee surgeries. However, we do not get many people to stay on this board who have had successful operations. Ergo, we do not know the percentage of good to bad results. Because of this anomaly you are only getting one side of the story...the unsuccessful side.

You can curtail your activities, lose weight, go to the doctor and worry like Hell. Or, you can go on about your current life until something causes you to stop. If,in the end,your knees perform as your Sister's did, and you find yourself posting daily on this board to help someone else,you will be glad you did as you pleased for as long as you could. I am not being insensitive as much as I am pragmatic. Healthcare work on one's knees is a long, drawn out affair. I am glad that I waited as long as possible. My 2cents
Certified Dietary Manager, ServSafe Proctor, Options Trader.           

AKA, The Curmudgeon

Offline digginit

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 10:41:29 PM »
My orthopaedist asked me yesterday if he should be on medicine for his high blood pressure.  I suggested that he go ride a bike (same thing he suggested to me when my butt got fat last year).

He asked, "What about running?"

I said (6 weeks post TKA), "bad for your joints."

He replied, "yeah.  I hate running."

;D

~dig

Offline richisgame

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 11:43:45 PM »
Thanks for all the opinions. I do appreciate it.
I will certainly consider all the advice you offer me.
It's too bad that the people with the successful stories don't stick around to give advice too...
Especially after having been here and having gotten help.
I'm still not sure whether I will keep running, (unless it appears to get worse), or take a couple of weeks off, and see if that makes it better.
Can something really bad be happening, even without pain or other worse symptoms?
(Confession: I just came back from my 4 miler without incident... I'm pretty stubborn...)
Btw, I hate running! Believe me it would be easy to quit.
And, I certainly don't want to end up like sis, who at 54 is the youngest person her surgeon ever had to replace two knees for.
I cannot compare my knees to hers though, as she had been in pain for years. This is only the start of something, (if it is), for me.
As far as high impact, I can rollerblade when the weather is good, it's generally not good enough on the winter though. The wind is fierce biking or blading in the winter.  And I can run in the snow...
I must say I do like the idea of just continuing living my life the way I'm doing until something worse happens.
As long as I'm not doing any serious damage.
I appreciate everyones two cents!

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2008, 07:11:34 PM »
just like to a - I had my TKR at 43 - I had no acl or cartalidge from the age of 18 but still carried on with running and regular training , swimming, waterskiing - loved it all BUT took its toll by the time I was 33 !

My TKR was a fab success which is why I do stick around here - people need to know its not all doom and gloom - I know at least 15 people who come to my shop who have had tks's as well and not one of them has a problem ! ( at least ten of us had the same surgeon - brilliant young surgeon !)

anj
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)