Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Grateful for opinions on newbie knee swelling  (Read 644 times)

Offline agathasoreknee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Grateful for opinions on newbie knee swelling
« on: November 14, 2008, 01:58:52 PM »
Hi Kneegeeks

First, a quick word (from a grateful newbie) to says thanks for this forum!  It has been a great source of information to someone new to the world of knee pain.

I'm 31 years old and since Tuesday evening have been suffering significant swelling just above my left knee.  It was not precipitated by any traumatic event; the only thing I had done differently was exercise more heavily over the weekend (two gym sessions and a yoga class) than I would normally.

The swelling has made the knee extremely stiff and I can only move it very slowly.  I can straighten it - eventually - but it takes some time for it to settle into place, and I can't bend it very far.  Generally it aches (a bit like toothache) but is not really painful unless I try to move it too quickly or put any weight on it.  I can't walk on it and am using crutches.

My doctor has drawn some of the fluid from the swollen area and is having it tested for gout crystals.  That's his theory but he also thinks that I might have torn the cartiledge on the inside of my knee because there was some tenderness there when he pressed it.  So I'm waiting to hear about the gout tests but am not able to have an MRI scan for 10 days or so because I might be pregnant.   In the meantime, the swelling seems to be bulding up again.

Having read up about gout and pseudogout, I'm panicking a bit but am keeping my fingers crossed because I don't fit the criteria very well.  As I mentioned above, I'm 31, female, have had no knee injuries in the past, am not a heavy drinker or rich liver and certainly didn't have a big night before this happened - in fact, I was trying to lose weight so was eating healtihily (sushi) and had exercised Saturday, Sunday and Monday.  ??? I am a bit overweight (149 pounds).

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has thoughts on what this might be, especially if it turns out not to be gout and am in limbo for a while waiting for my MRI.  I'd also be glad to hear about how I should look after my knee in the meantime: my doctor didn't really have any positive advice and said that it wouldn't make a difference whether I tried to walk or not, but that tubigrips/ice etc couldn't hurt.

Much appreciated

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
Re: Grateful for opinions on newbie knee swelling
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 02:27:17 PM »
Welcome.  I don't know a thing about gout in the knee.  You didn't mention are you standing / walking all day long?  Fluid build up obviously will cause the knee to swell.  And if your knee is swollen for some reason that joint isn't going to be able to move too much.  What you can try to control is the swelling.  When you ice you need to find a position in which the knee is above the heart.  (It took me awhile to figure this out but if I lay flat on the sofa and get the leg on the back top of the sofa I can then have ice on the backside of the the knee and top.  Of course someone has to help me do this. )  The key is ice for around 20 minutes then nothing for an hour and ice again.  If it were me and I might be pregnant I'd take no medication.  Hang in there.  eagle

support