Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Pain that cannot be explained  (Read 669 times)

Offline wurt

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Pain that cannot be explained
« on: November 13, 2008, 09:17:16 PM »
Hello, I am new to the site and boards.  I hope that others can help with an issue that I have had for well over 22 years with my knees.  I used to be an avid soccer player when I was younger, at least until I had injuries to both knees at separate times that pretty much ended my fun.  In the span of a year I ended up severely straining or tearing everything in both knees except my ACL's.  For whatever reason my parent decided not to have me go through surgery at the time and I was left to heal on my own.  Over the years I have had bouts of pain, clicking of the knees, locking of the knees, and the feeling of my knee cap and upper leg slipping over the top of my lower knee.  Each time I have seen my GP or Ortho Surgeon they have done the usual X-Ray, MRI, physical exams and determined that my knees are "normal". 

I have a pretty high threshold of pain (broke my arm when I was young and played all day until i passed out from the pain and had to be carried back by my brother, drove 100 miles in a car after suffering a serious internal abdomen injury hunting in the mountains of CO, etc) and usually do not say a whole bunch about the pain unless it gets really bad.  Lately the pain has gone well past the norm and I visited my Ortho Surgeon again.  My 3rd MRI on the knee (right one this time) shows that my knee is "normal".  Nothing wrong.  Normal.  My doctor is really good and listens to what I have to say, but he really doesn't have much to say about the pain other then "something else can be causing it and MRI's do not catch everything".  I can understand and respect his opinion, but the pain is not gone and impacts my life in many different ways.

I guess I was posting to see if anyone else has ever been in a situation like this where no one can say what the problem is and really has nothing to treat you with.

Right now I am sitting at my desk at work feeling the pain from the Lidocaine (sp?) he injected into it wondering what to do next.

To be honest I told him today that since "nothing is wrong" with my knee I am going to just grin and bear it and go back to playing soccer until something starts sticking out of the side of my knee.  He wasn't too happy with that.  But, after 22 years I am not too happy with the diagnosis. 

BTW, I am a 37 year old male in great shape and health (well other then my knees).

Offline daedalus

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: Pain that cannot be explained
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 03:45:42 PM »
wurt, I can relate to your situation.  I've been experiencing pain in my knee for 2 1/2 years, and have seen so many OS's with no solution yet.  So many of them said my knee looks normal and healthy.  Others have said they recommend a scope to make a diagnosis.  Still others have strongly recommended against a scope, and think that may make it worse.

Here is my recent post:

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=45111.0

I've gone through so many of the same things you mentioned.  MRI after MRI.  X-ray after X-ray.  No clear diagnosis.  Being told MRI's don't catch everything, but then being told a scope could make it worse.  Okay, so what to do?  Just suck it up and deal with it?  I know people have it much worse than me, so I don't have a right to complain.

I'm a 31 year old male in great health, aside from my right knee.  I used to practice martial arts since the age of 12, but since my injury I've stopped completely. 

I'm new to all this myself so I don't have much advice for you, except don't give up.  I know how frustrating it can be.  Sometimes I wish I had just broken a bone instead, so at least I would know what's wrong and be able to treat it.

From your description, it doesn't sound like your knees are normal.  So I would try to get another opinion and be persistent until you can find an answer.  Feel free to come here and vent, as I do sometimes.