Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Post op wound seepage  (Read 1674 times)

Offline Linda

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Post op wound seepage
« on: August 15, 2003, 03:04:34 PM »
Hi everyone,

I had a scope on my ACI knee on Tuesday afternoon. They found a new defect and did a micro fracture. They also found adhesions under and around the knee cap which they cleaned up.

Thursday afternoon prooved to be the sorest pain wise so far. It is managable though. My concern is that I have began getting alot of bloody drainage. It has saturated the front of my dressing. I called the OS (it was afternoon and the clinic was closing) and they told me to fold up a cloth put it over the area and then wrap the seeping area in a pressure wrap. If this did not stop the bleeding to go to the ER.

It has considerably slowed the bleeding down. I do not want to go to the ER as I have been laid off and presently have no income. My co pay for the ER is $100.00. I am hoping that I can hold out until morning when the OS clinic is open. Has anyone else had trouble with bleeding / seepage two days post op?

Thanks for any info!
Linda
LR and Chondrplasty 1/22/02, Clean-up, Chondroplasty and biopsy 6/4/02, AC Implant 11/6/02, Micro fracture and adhesion clean up 8/12/03

Offline Jillian24

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
Re: Post op wound seepage
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2003, 06:32:41 PM »
Linda,
I would definitly get it checked out! I had the same thing and it turned out to be a pretty bad staph infection. Although this was pretty extreme, it could happen. With all of my other surgeries, I never had any seepage. Just have it checked to double check. Good luck. I found that the third day was always the hardest, but that is wonderful that you are mananging well.
Keep us posted!   Jillian
ONE TTT LAST OCT
10 LR'S    ONE MEDIAL RELEASE
STAPH INFECTION.....MANY MONTHS IN HOSPITAL

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2003, 09:39:02 PM »
Linda,

According to my doctor, as long as the discharge is bloody, you have no abnormal pain or fever, no throbbing like a bad tooth, and you generally feel okay (not flu-like) then a certain amount of seepage is tolerated for 4-5 days.

Mine went for four days post-op.  The PT checked the  bandages every day to make sure the discharge was blood and not clear or yellowish fluid--every day he sighed a big sigh and said "it's just blood."

So I would urge you to watch the incision and your general health very carefully.  Try not to be tempted to change the dressings every hour--you pull off the scab and start the seeping all over again each time.  Twice a day, change the dressing using STERILE packaged gauze and even betadine or alcohol wipes if your doctor says it's okay.

If it continues to seep, if the fluid turns thick or clear or yellowish, if you start to feel unwell, if the knee is red or hot, if you run a fever, then it's time to go to the ER.  Also, do keep it covered with clean ACE bandages, because as long as something can get out of your knee....something can get in.  I wouldn't hit the panic button yet if you don't have any of the signs above, but please keep in touch with your doctor.

Let us know what happens.

Heather
« Last Edit: August 15, 2003, 09:39:47 PM by hmaxwell »
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline Linda

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2003, 08:39:52 AM »
Hi,

Thanks for the input. I have been changing it every eight hours or so. That is about how long it takes to bleed through. It is definately bloody. No fever, and just general achiness, so I will hang on until Monday. If things are the same I will be camped out on the OS's door. If they get worse I will head for the ER.

Heather, with all this drainage, do you think there is a bigger probability of getting nasty adhesions?

Thank you again for your input Jillian and Heather.

Linda
LR and Chondrplasty 1/22/02, Clean-up, Chondroplasty and biopsy 6/4/02, AC Implant 11/6/02, Micro fracture and adhesion clean up 8/12/03