Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Frustrated with VA docs and severe knee pain.  (Read 979 times)

Offline warrenae

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Frustrated with VA docs and severe knee pain.
« on: November 13, 2008, 05:15:43 AM »
So i am new here. I am a vet with some pretty xevere knee pain at this point. Just a little backround. In 04 I was injured an active duty requiring a repair of a severe medial miniscus tear, went through 6 mths of PT then in aug of 05 the pain started again with a surgery to repair another severe medial miniscus tear. Everthing was fine until may of 07 when my entire knee started to hurt constantly. Now that I am a medically retired vet at 32 I just finely got some sort of answer but I am a little aprehensive:(. I was told that the MRI in FEB of 08 (yeah thats how long it took from the time I first went to the DOC) showed a small lateral miniscus tear. I had another MRI last week NOV 08 and they looked at it today findind a "pretty significant lateral miniscus tear:0" Also he told me that my knee cap sits 2 3/4 inches higher then normal and that it is genetically that way probally never causing any trouble until I aggrivated it when i originally injured my knee in 04. So I am going to have a special patella tracking CT scan done to determine the tracking so that they can repair both problems :( I am in pretty good shape as I was a runner all through highschool college and the military. I have been in PT for almost 4 years on and off with little to no improvement in pain. I am at the point now where I cannot make it through half a day without using a cane to walk, and playing with the kids is pretty tough. So this surgery sounds pretty intense. Anyone with a clew on what this is called, i think he said something about patella alta, what the surgery invovles and most of all what the recovery is? The doc, which is the first one to actually give me a diagnosis (I thank him) said that the results are not proven but at this point with PT not working it is my best chance but that I should know that I will probally need another surgery 5 to 7 years down the road, whup eee. ANy info on what may lie ahead would be graet, thanks.  ???

Offline bavage

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Meniscectomy 8/07 TKR 7/08 MUA 10/08
Re: Frustrated with VA docs and severe knee pain.
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 12:32:33 PM »
Always get a 2nd opinion
Certified Dietary Manager, ServSafe Proctor, Options Trader.           

AKA, The Curmudgeon

Offline maryc

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 18
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 04:48:38 PM »
Warrenae - I really just wanted to stop in and thank you for your service.  I appreciate the sacrafice that you and your family have made.

I don't know anything about patella alta (if you use the search feature here you should get some information) but, I would not have surgery like this without a second opinion.  I'm not sure how to do that within the VA system, but I would check with and organization called communityofveterans.org- they have a section on navigating through the VA system that may help.

Sending healing rays your way
8/4/07 fell
8/5 diagnosed TPF
8/6 surgery plate and 6 screws
8/12 out of hospital NWM
8/21 staples removed
9/18 OS appt - WBAT with crutches
10/10 - WBAT with cane
10/27 - back to work w/cane
12/26 - no cane, slight limp when tired
1/25/08 - released from PT, no limp
2/3/09 - Released by OS

Offline warrenae

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 03:23:09 AM »
thank you, This is actually the 4th Doc I have seen. 3 out of 4 have come up with the same results, but this last Doc, is the first one to give me an idea of whats to come and he is the first one to actually order every test, scan, xray, ct possible. He actually called 2 other Docs in to review the xray and MRI's with him.

Offline FindnNemo91

• Forum Faithful
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 02:58:56 AM »
first off:
to echo what maryc said. thank you for your service and all the sacrifices you have made. my uncle is currently serving in Nicaragua, after being in korea and iraq, and i know how hard this was on the entire family.

secondly, sorry about all your troubles. i have patella alta too. it is where your knee(patella) is too high(alta). you prolly already know this. i have already been to 6 doctors and still havent found someone that can help me. (i mainly have generalized ligamentous laxity). my advice, is to keep looking until you find someone that you feel have been pretty good to you, answers all your questions, and doesnt tell you ur pain isnt real. also, keep researching your condition/problem. i have been looking at mine for about 2 years now. dont give up!

thirdly, im from va too. i moved to oregon and i cant wait to go back to va.

good luck!
TTT/Lateral Release/Chondroplasty: May 15th, 2009
Brostrom Reconstruction: Oct 16th, 2009

~United States Army~
Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic

Offline warrenae

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 05:36:49 AM »
Oh not VA as in virginia, VA as Veterans Adminstration, I'm a medically retired disabled Vet. But I am from Maryland originally, Go Terps!!!, Now I am from Frosty Maine....23 degrees....brrrrrr....makes the knee feel even better.....:(

support