Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: No one but me seems to be concerned that my knee constantly catches  (Read 1126 times)

Offline squibler

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
I am currently on my 3rd round of PT and seeing my 3rd ortho.  During the 2nd therapy, I noticed that my knee would catch every so often when I would be using the stationary bicycle (see image below for the exact spot where it catches).  I told both my therapist and ortho (ortho #1 at the time) and they seemed to ignore it, never even telling me why it was happening.  So I continued on with my therapy thinking that the catching would go away on its own.  Then, as 'swimming weather' arrived, I noticed that when I would tread water, I would get the same catching feeling in the same spot.  I figured that since the ortho and PT didn't seem to care about it, that it would resolve itself. 

It's now 3 years later and the catching hasn't resided.  Whenever I ride a stationary bike (or any bike for that matter), tread water, or even slowly bend my leg while in a sitting position, my knee catches.  During my initial evaluation with ortho #3, I mentioned this and he paid little attention to it.  I also mentioned it to my PT and he said that as long as it wasn't painful, to keep exercising on the stationary bike.  To this date, no one has explained to me what the catching is and why it occurs.

Am I blowing this way out of proportion?  Should I just ignore the catching since my ortho and PT don't seem to acknowledge it or should I complain until my ortho finally listens to me?  I'm just extremely nervous that whatever is making my knee catch (whether it be a ligament, muscle...) is going to get worn out or tear. 

(I'm sorry for asking so many questions.  I feel horrible but I feel like I can actually get some solid answers from this site)

Offline bavage

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Meniscectomy 8/07 TKR 7/08 MUA 10/08
Re: No one but me seems to be concerned that my knee constantly catches
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 04:45:50 AM »
You say the knee is 'catching'. Others would say it is 'locking'.
This locking ( or catching) is generally caused by the tibia having too much room in which to manuever. This can be caused by a meniscus or other ligament that is damaged & prevented from performing as intended. It might be a tear although the fact you are not in pain is unbelievable if that's true.

I see by the pix that your knee is not 'bowed' out. Maybe your medical team is right. I might be of more assistance if I knew why your in PT.
Certified Dietary Manager, ServSafe Proctor, Options Trader.           

AKA, The Curmudgeon

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 04:52:58 AM »
I think the issue here is that people on this board, most of us I'd say, aren't professionals.  We're bad knee people also - so you will not get a specific diagnosis here.  However, what you will get is people who truly do care and want to help.  Before any of us can do that though we really need more information than we've been given.

You didn't mention if you'd had surgery.  If so what type?  Why are you "specifically" in pt?  Which ortho prescribed it or are you going on your own?  Fill us in alittle and hopefully someone can jump in here and help.  The bad side is maybe the ortho's your seeing do not know your knee issues - so you move on.  eagle

Offline squibler

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 10:06:37 PM »
You say the knee is 'catching'. Others would say it is 'locking'.
This locking ( or catching) is generally caused by the tibia having too much room in which to manuever. This can be caused by a meniscus or other ligament that is damaged & prevented from performing as intended. It might be a tear although the fact you are not in pain is unbelievable if that's true.

I see by the pix that your knee is not 'bowed' out. Maybe your medical team is right. I might be of more assistance if I knew why your in PT.

Thanks for your response bavage. 
I have had 2 MRIs (the first 3 years ago, and the 2nd a few weeks ago) and they both came back inconclusive.  Would damage to the meniscus or other ligaments be detectable on the MRIs? 

Oh I forgot to mention that the the picture is not of my knee, just one I found on the internet (I can't find my camera at the moment).  I just added the red  circle to locate the point of the locking/catching. 

I am currently in PT because my ortho said the my knee was very 'tight' and that my patella 'does not like to move medially.'  I asked my PT yesterday if it was becoming looser, and he said yes.  I still have found no relief from the PT though.

Thank you again!

Offline squibler

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 10:26:43 PM »
I think the issue here is that people on this board, most of us I'd say, aren't professionals.  We're bad knee people also - so you will not get a specific diagnosis here.  However, what you will get is people who truly do care and want to help.  Before any of us can do that though we really need more information than we've been given.

You didn't mention if you'd had surgery.  If so what type?  Why are you "specifically" in pt?  Which ortho prescribed it or are you going on your own?  Fill us in alittle and hopefully someone can jump in here and help.  The bad side is maybe the ortho's your seeing do not know your knee issues - so you move on.  eagle
Thank you for responding, eaglemom.

No, I have never had surgery.  Ortho #1 told me get a Lateral Release so I got a second opinion (ortho #2) who told me that I would probably grow out of my condition and to wait a few more years.  My current ortho also mentioned a Lateral Release.  I am currently in PT to loosen up my knee so that my patella can more easily move medially.  My first 2 PTs were prescribed by my 1st ortho, and my current PT was prescribed my my current ortho. 
The ortho that I am currently seeing specialized in shoulders and knees so I would hope that he knows what he is doing  :)

Again, thank you for responding to my message.  It means the world to me that people actually care.   :)