Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Mom's post-op diary of John's hardware removal  (Read 4896 times)

Offline 3Diggersmom

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: Mom's post-op diary of John's hardware removal
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2008, 10:41:31 PM »
Day 13 post-op
John seems to be moving along.  His school is officially on vacation until 12/1, so that's good because he won't have more HW to do, but bad because now all the friends and girlfriend are over constantly and he won't finish up the work he has left to do and also is lazy about his exercises.
Teenagers, they just want to lay around, eat and watch tv or play video games.....don't get me wrong I love having them here vs. someplace else, but it can be trying sometimes.
Well, i have a lasagna in the oven, better keep an eye on it.  Take care all! ;)
9/07 Subluxations of LK began-soccer
10/07 2nd sublux of LK-basketball
11/07 Arthro of LK to remove loose body
12/07 3rd sublux. of LK-bball
1/08-8/08 PT
8/17/08-violent sublux of RK, fract cartlg behind patella-bball
8/23/08-open surgery on RK, 3 screws, NWB 10wks, PT
11/11/08-2nd surgery scheduled

Offline 3Diggersmom

• Regular Poster
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2008, 11:04:52 PM »
2weeks post-op!

Okay the lasagna was consumed by 7 kids and hubby with none left to spare!  John-boy is "on" the Varsity bball team here....even though he won't play this season....he still attends all practices and even had to do 200+ push-ups for being 2 minutes late to practice.....I loved that because he would not hurry up for me!, but unfortunately the coach (who has no children)  did not include his name in the line-up for the article that was in the local paper tonight  :-[ 

Of course we won't say anything to him, but geeeeezzzzzzz....this was it........the one and only time his name would ever be in print this year re:bball........not that it matters, but it does!  I hope his name will be on the roster and he isn't just doing stats for the team.  It's a bummer.  No one understands, but us and sometimes that feels lonely  :-\
1/08-8/08 PT

Offline 3Diggersmom

• Regular Poster
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2008, 03:11:17 PM »
Day 17 post-op for John-boy-

He got 105 for ROM at PT on Weds., which they say is great for him at this point.  He is walking pretty much with no crutches and seems pretty much pain free!  I couldn't ask for more  :)
Family was surprised to see him off the crutches so soon.  I think now it will be hard as he begins to feel better, but is sitting on the bench watching his friends play basketball.  However he seems upbeat right now.  We just need him to keep working on his exercises and his homework before we go back on Monday.

Its snowing and hubby and I are putting up the Christmas decorations which is a full day event...we have a big Victorian house and hubby is a bit like Clark Griswald when it comes to lights!   :)  It's snowing and beautiful out.  Hope everyone is feeling good and making progress.  I'm sending good thoughts to all!
1/08-8/08 PT

Offline rouprak

• Regular Poster
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2008, 03:37:32 PM »
Wow that is great news about Jon-Boy! 105 after 17 days!

Ah the snow sounds lovely! I love snow at Christmas but in UK the weather is soooo weird who knows if it will snow or be sunny around Christmas time!

In a way its quite nice that is Christmas time that we are going through this as when cold and wintry is nicer to be in.....i was meant to have mine in AUG but my OS broke his hand!!! SO lucky escape really!

House sounds lovely! I feel all warm and excited about Christmas! My parents house in Somerset is  a big Georgian House and looks lovely at Christmas.....i will miss decorating my flat in London but will get all the joy of being down here so cant complain!

Happy Christmas decoration day!

Keep up the good work! I think it kind of gets a bit hard when you can start doing things but not quite EVERYTHING! Sounds like he has some good friends and can go and see/play etc so that will keep mind off!

Well done. You and LORI (who seems to be MIA :( )  are SUPER MUMS!

x
1992 - Growing pains!!!
1996 - ACL injury skiing
2003 - Charity wlak 60km! AGONY, MISTAKE
2003-2008 PHYSIO
24 Oct 08 - TTT/LR
Jan 2010- screw removal, arthroscopy and chondroplasty

Offline 3Diggersmom

• Regular Poster
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2008, 03:06:43 PM »
Day 19-Post op  :)

The house is silent (rare) all are still asleep, so I thought I'd post quick.  John is doing great and goes most everywhere without crutches.  He tries to get out of going to mass (church) with the excuse his brace won't fit in the pew, but we set him up in a chair...he can't get out of it that easy!

House is decorated and its snowy out, perfect!  Tomorrow he heads back to school with hopefully most of his school work done.  I will need to go through it with him today to assess his status!

Well I hope all is going well with everyone and you all are feeling good and on the road to recovery  ;)  Have a great Sunday!
1/08-8/08 PT

Offline rouprak

• Regular Poster
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2008, 08:04:35 PM »
Ooh great news about going to school tomorrow! Is he excited about it? At least he is only back for a few weeks before they break for Christmas so is a nice time as things slow down a bit and fun stiff begins!

I bet you will miss having him at home every day!  Probably enjoy a bit of time to yourself too!

Snow - oooh i would love some snow now! Would love to be sitting and looking out as snow is just so lovely! Is about 2.5 degrees at the mo here so may have snow but UK snow is pretty rubbish so generally does not settle much! 

Made me laugh about going to mass! I am 27 and was just having the chat with my mother as we go to midnight mass for Christmas and is always so busy! So i was saying i may have to 'reserve' a seat as no way i will be able to sit as church pews are tiny at the best of times! Kids will try anything!

Hope you are having a good Sunday. Not sure of your time difference know behind UK! I am settling in for the night with a roaring fire and my dog at the end of my feet and going to watch a good prog!

Happy snuggley (dont think thats even a word!) Sunday everyone

x

1992 - Growing pains!!!
1996 - ACL injury skiing
2003-2008 PHYSIO
24 Oct 08 - TTT/LR

Offline 3Diggersmom

• Regular Poster
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2008, 03:17:49 AM »
3 weeks post-op for John-boy:

Tonight we went to the first JV and Varsity basketball games of the season.  My 14 yr.old had his first JV game and John-boy is keeping stats for  the Varsity team.  It was bittersweet.  I was very happy for my 14 yr. old, as he started and did well, but it was hard watching John sit on the bench.  He is sooooo passionate about the game, I really miss seeing his intensity.  He just doesn't throw himself into Chemistry or French the same way  :-[ 
But who knows what God has in store for him...we will just wait and see and try to make the best of this.  I need to make an apt. to go in and speak to the principal about the so-called tutoring John received while he was out of school.  He never received any "instruction" there was just a delivery of the work.  Apparently he doesn't understand this, because when I arranged to have John meet with his math teacher, the principal cancelled this....he said John had already received his allotted 10hrs. of instruction.  That is crap and he is going to know it soon.  He also said the math teacher was not an "approved" tutor....how does that make any sense????   He can teach math, but can't tutor??????  Is there any common sense left in the world?!
Oh well gotta get ready for tomorrows day of work and school, Hope all is well with everyone. 
Oh...one more thing...John was doing his heel slides last night and his quad looked so darn small, how long does it take to come back?  I know everyone is different, but wondered.  He is still in hinged brace and will be for awhile, but is not using his crutches at all.  We go back to the OS on the 11th for a check-up. 
1/08-8/08 PT

Offline rouprak

• Regular Poster
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2008, 06:45:32 PM »
Helllo there,

Sorry not been on for a while. Just catching up. All looking good with John-boy. I bet he cant wait for the holidays again! He must be tired!

Heel slides, well i am 6 weeks PO and still my quad is pathetic! As is my calf muscle! It just seems to hang down! But they are there and once you can start more on them then they will beef up quite quickly! As you know a long road and annopying how you loose so quickly but takes 100 times the amount of time to get them back!!!! Bit like losing weight!!!!

Just needs to keep up at them.

What is his brace set at? I have just started to ditch my brace which is great - i have to use outside and in car  and when tired, but can use with the crutches as i had started to HIP HITCH which i am told is very common and not good! When are they hoping to get him out of it? I kinow you have your app on the 11th so maybe then! !

Well look forward to catching up! Hope the OS app is more successful than my OS's on Wed!

Take care

xox
1992 - Growing pains!!!
1996 - ACL injury skiing
2003-2008 PHYSIO
24 Oct 08 - TTT/LR

Offline 3Diggersmom

• Regular Poster
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2008, 02:23:05 AM »
Hi there,
tomorrow will be 4 weeks post-op for John-boy.  He is at 115 ROM, which is great compared to his last surgery.  He is still crutch-free, but in the hinged brace.  I am not sure what it is set at, I'll check. 

There was a bball tourney this weekend.  John is keeping stats for varsity.  He seems okay watching, but he has made comments about being sick and tired of being hurt.  I don't blame him.  It just seemed like he was this normal, active kid who was a natural at sports and then one day (the first day of his freshman yr.) his life changed (first knee dislocation).  Hubby and I ran into a man tonight who asked about John and then he made the comment,"He'll probably never play again will he?"    Okay, so where did this guy go to school....Insensitive High??!!  I guess this is a very possible reality, but not one I want to hear.  I just felt like saying geez, thanks for the vote of confidence buddy!

We are going in to meet with the principal at John's school on Weds. due to a denial of instruction (John was set to go in and receive some math instruction from the teacher a few days before Thanksgiving, however it was cancelled by the principal).  The principal is under the grand delusion that John received all the instruction (10 hrs.) that he was due.  There was noooooo instruction.  The person merely dropped off work.  She even wrote an email to the principal stating this and still it didn't help.  He said the math teacher was not board approved to tutor.  Does this make any sense.  He can teach, but can't tutor.  The other lame excuse was that tutoring should not replace the actual class instruction....what????  Is the tutoring supposed to help or leave him hanging?  I never would have thought it would be this hard to help a hurt kid.

OS apt. on Thursday, we'll see what that holds.  Until then, hope everyone is feeling strong and positive  ;)
1/08-8/08 PT

Offline 3Diggersmom

• Regular Poster
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2008, 02:48:48 AM »
I almost forgot....I almost joined this site as a patient and not the mom of a patient.  I was trying to do some Martha Stewart crafty thing outside with some flower pots and christmas ornaments (first mistake...I am not crafty!!)  I made the pots complete with sprigs of pine, ornaments and pine cones.  I was sooo proud and decided to carry both pots down to the back yard where I was going to put them on the window sills when.........DOWN I fell!  My back steps are wide and made of Slate.  I tried to grab a bush on my way down, but it was no use.  The stinking pots went flying with the ornaments,etc. sailing thru the yard.  I banged my knee/shin badly, but didn't feel much pain until today.  Now everything hurts...quads, chest muscles, shoulder.  What a goof I am  ::).  Oh well, thought somebody might get a chuckle out of that.  Have a good one!
1/08-8/08 PT

Offline rouprak

• Regular Poster
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2008, 10:36:13 AM »
Oh no dont join as a patient! Far better being the mum! :P

Well you know what you have to do dont you ICE ICE ICE that shin!

Bless you! Hope not too battered and bruised! That treaches us all not to be too crafty when we dont have it in us! 10 points for trying though.

Hope the OS goes well tomomrrow if dont hear before then. JB seems to be doing great! School sounds awful!

Love George x
1992 - Growing pains!!!
1996 - ACL injury skiing
2003-2008 PHYSIO
24 Oct 08 - TTT/LR

Offline Davori

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2008, 01:22:55 PM »
Hey you.... I just read thu all the stuff I have missed, and I have to ask..? Are we nurturing the same kid? it sounds like it....lol I thought about you n john on dec 1st... Did he return? How is it going? Tyler is back, and only uses 1 crutch at school....he would rather not use any, but He occasionally needs it to catch himself, and its a reminder to others.... not to jump on him. Aparently "the girls" like to jump on him and give him hugs..... as a mom Im not so happy about this....especially since they just dont get it....crutches usually means you can barley carry your own weight...let alone someone elses......
He is 2 tests away from being ALL caught up.... THANK GOD! We have been working and working....I am tired of begging him to get it done..... it seems as tho everything is a battle. Homework, PT showers, I am just done with the constant nagging...... Why dont they understand that by putting off or procrastinating, they are actually messing up our daily sched. ?  I DO have another child, and things to do, places to be......So if he does not take advantage of my help in MY TIME, it messes up the whole day. ...... My day is planned from AM TO PM and if one thing gets out of whack.... the day gets shot....
anyways   thats my rant.... I am really sorry I missed out on all that has been going on.... it sounds like you have it under control, and Johnboy is doing great.....!  As far as the Anal part..... yea, I know, you have to be. otherwise NOTHING GETS DONE!    8)   Later    KEEP UP THE GOOD WOPRK MOMMA!
                       Hugs Lori

Offline 3Diggersmom

• Regular Poster
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2008, 02:30:39 AM »
Hi all,
I have been doing what the rest of the world is trying to do...get ready for Christmas!  We had John-boy's 4 week post-op apt. last week and it went well.  The OS told him he could lose the brace after a couple weeks.  It's funny bec the PT folks still want him in it due to the nasty weather, but said he could keep it unlocked in the house.  We are still going to PT 2x week.  John continues to try and get all caught up in school, but I think he's pretty much there.  We are now going to bball games where he keeps stats for the team.  Younger bro. plays for the JV team. I feel sad for him being on the bench, just watching, but thinking of him playing makes my heart race and my stomach flop.....if any of you remember.....John-boy can't have corrective surgery yet bec he is not done growing.  He has only had surgery to help with damage done by the dislocations.  I pray that somehow he can play before he graduates, but I am scared to death to go through this again.  Well, better go and get #3 to bed!!!  Miss reading everyone's post, will have to catch up with everyone.  Have a great night all!
1/08-8/08 PT

support