Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Connie's Unicomparmental Conformis Surgery  (Read 2703 times)

Offline cboden51

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Connie's Unicomparmental Conformis Surgery
« on: November 09, 2008, 05:12:14 PM »
I was diagnosed with Grade 4 arthritis medial aspect, grade 3 patella  chondromalacia. Also had medial and lateral meniscus tears and a loose body. Had those tears and the loose body removed May 23. My pain level medially was significantly worse  after the procedures, laterally occasional pain, patella none.

On Oct. 28 I had a Conformis medial aspect . This was done on an out-patient basis. Sent home with a drain in place and a brace for stabilization, no crutches, no walker. Percocet for pain which I needed every 3 - 4 hours.  Back to the doctor's office the next day to have dressings removed and drain pulled. Redressed and sent home to start CPM and icing. CPM started at 60 degrees and increased every day by 10 degrees until 120 degrees of passive motion achieved,  Continued to need Percocet every 3 - 4 hours for about another half day then have been taking 1-2 Advil every 4-6 hours. Pain at the incision most bothersome when I lay down to sleep at night. Have developed pain in knee laterally, most significantly  when knee is fully extended on weight bearing. I did have this occasionally before the surgery. This may be related to tightness as I am lacking about 5 degrees of extension - I had a lot of problem with this after my first surgery as I was initially lacking about 15 degrees of extension then and worked hard to get to 0 degrees and try to maintain it before this surgery.

Staples removed day 9 and steri-strips placed over incision, which must be kept dry for a total of 3 weeks.

Strated Physical Therapy at day 10. Range of motion is at -5 degrees extension to 110 degrees flexion actively. Able to do very good quad set, straight leg raises with a 3 lb. weight and am walking about 3/4 mile with the only pain being the lateral pain which can be completley eliminated with Advil ( I don't take it before I walk as I am afraid I would over do without this gauge).

All in all I am very pleased. Time will tell , if the lateral pain does not go away I will be unhappy because it will limit my rehab, but I will continue to cross those bridges.

I am told that recovery is better for the Conformis than others but the long term limitations apply as far as return to sports.

Offline digginit

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Connie's Unicomparmental Conformis Surgery
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 07:24:07 PM »
Ust curious.  Since you have anterior compartment disease, why did y'all opt for the uni replacement over the iDuo?  I was pushing fir the iDuo, but my ortho said no -- too new.  Also, once we were in the OR, he found that I had changes in the lateral compartment too, so he did a total knee instead of the two compartments we had planned for.

~dig

Offline cboden51

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 02:56:31 PM »
Hi Dig,

I am guessing you are referring to the patella involvement when you say anterior compartment disease- never heard it called this. While there was involvement it was cleaned up with the scope in May and I haven't had any pain in the patella area since. It was almost exclusively medial pain, which is why we opted for the uni. Best of luck to you .

Connie

Offline cboden51

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 09:22:46 PM »
Today is Day 17:

ROM -2 degrees extension to 129 degrees. Doing all the leg raises with 4lbs. now. Step- ups on 4" step, quarter squats ROM both active and stretching.
Able to walk almost 1 mile, pain laterally right before complete knee extension and then again with initial flexion. Thinking is that maybe I have bursitis that is being irritated by a tight Iliotibial band. The pain is very spot specific and I am ice massaging it frequently but briefly. The pain is also present during exercise at about the same spot in my range. Pain from the operative site minimal.

All exercises done twice a day, followed by icing.

I am taking advil every 5-6 hours and get adequate relief with that.

Offline cboden51

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 07:44:33 PM »
Today is day 23

Rom 0-135 degrees with a little passive push needed at the end of the flexion range

Walking 2 miles a day with some discomfort towards the end that I believeis  more from the increased swelling putting pressure on everything. Ice it and I am good to go. Lateral pain minimal now

SLR in all directions with a 5 lb. weight, along with a whole set of exercises in therapy. All exercises done twice a day

Incision looking very good, starting to massage it

Pain minimal- take Advil before bed but I think it is just a crutch now. I'm afraid once I lie down it will start hurting and then I will have to take the Advil and wait for it to work. Will wean off that in the next couple of days if my dyas continue to be good

My biggest limitation is sitting for too long. I find myself fidgeting . Not a problem most of the time as i just get up and move. It just starts aching a little

All in all very pleased with my progress so far. Tomorrow I go for a visit to my grandson's school that involves a program in the Auditorium followed by classroom visit. My first outing other dinners out and grocery shopping.

Back to the Doc's on Monday for a 4 week check. Hope to get the okay to fly somewhere to celebrate my husband's 60th birthday

Offline cboden51

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 04:40:40 PM »
Today is day 29.

Continued progress in endurance for activity. Still painful at the end of the day- the Advil is not a crutch. It rained here last night and I don't know if it was that or just extra activity with the Holiday around the corner but I had more pain than usual- just took the Advil and went to bed early.

Got the okay for a trip for the hubbies birthday.

Happy Holidays to all here in the US.

Connie

Offline cboden51

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 06:13:54 PM »
I am 9 weeks post op tomorrow and for the most part back to normal. I have been discharged from physical therapy with 0-136 degrees of motion and a home exercise program.

Just got back from a weeks vacation in the mountains and lots of snow. The cold caused a little pain but I was able to take a long hike with my husband without too much difficulty- certainly could not have done it before the PKR because of the bone on bone pain i had. I have 2 little grand children that were with us that I held too much which added to the pain but back to normal today the day after. Took a total of 4 Advil the whole time.

I am  one happy camper - I had a regular PKR on my other knee and this recovery is months ahead of that one.

Happy New Years to all on this board!

support