Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Patella Cartilage operation rehab - from a runner - diary December 2008  (Read 974 times)

Offline danglish

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Today (Dec 15th 08) I underwent keyhole surgery on my left knee to ascertain the cause of severe knee pain which has plagued me since mid October (I came off my surfboard in shallow water! - sounds better than it was :P).

My doctor discovered a deep crack in the cartilage behind my patella, with a great deal of calcification. From what I gather this is known as a patello-femoral problem. The surgeon has stripped back the calcified deposits which were in the process of breaking off into the joint, thus smoothing out the cartilage.

My pre-op discomfort - starting with crunchy knee when walking stairs - and ending with a crack in the cartilage - eventually prevented me from running (I am a semi distance enthusiast) and playing soccer for 2 months before diagnosis.

Day One post op
I am now 8 hours post-op - with a knee heavily strapped, and elavated. Its is uncomfortable, but not painful with regular painkillers keeping discomfort at bay. I am mobile but not very graceful!

Will update on a daily basis for my return to Half Marathon running and soccer.

Objective: To get back to playing a full 90 minutes without pain by 1st June 2009!
(and getting a marathon in by then too!)

Offline danglish

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Patella Cartilage operation rehab - from a runner - diary December 2008
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 03:16:56 PM »
Day Two
I got the strapping off today, and was pleasantly surprised to see just 3 small 1cm insertion scars on either side of my knee. Not too much bleeding or leakage. Gotta love the doc's embroidary skills!

Without the bandage to stabilse its a little shakey - although I think that its more psychological than psyiological. My knee is still quite swollen - about a size again of the comparable right knee.

Pain level: Not bad at all. Am on paracetamol and ibruprofen for the swelling. Feeling good.

Think I'll chance a 10 minute walk outside tonight.
Objective: To get back to playing a full 90 minutes without pain by 1st June 2009!
(and getting a marathon in by then too!)

support