Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Mom's post-op diary of John's hardware removal  (Read 4895 times)

Offline 3Diggersmom

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Mom's post-op diary of John's hardware removal
« on: November 12, 2008, 01:34:14 PM »
Well,
John-boy had his three tiny....and they are tiny!....screws removed yesterday at 11:30am.  The surgery was about 3 hrs. long and the OS said it went as well as he had hoped it would.  John's cartilage looks healed and he removed a bunch of scar tissue, so his ROM should improve too.  We decided to bring him home (an hour ride) because he still had his femoral nerve block and we figured bumps wouldn't affect him.  We were right, he even scooted backward up the stairs to his bed where he is still sleeping soundly  ;D  He is taking vicodin every 6 hrs. and is icing...which reminds me...I need to go get him some ice now.  So glad to have this over, now the hard part!  Hopefully he will be able to make it downstairs later. 
9/07 Subluxations of LK began-soccer
10/07 2nd sublux of LK-basketball
11/07 Arthro of LK to remove loose body
12/07 3rd sublux. of LK-bball
1/08-8/08 PT
8/17/08-violent sublux of RK, fract cartlg behind patella-bball
8/23/08-open surgery on RK, 3 screws, NWB 10wks, PT
11/11/08-2nd surgery scheduled

Offline Davori

• Forum Faithful
Re: Mom's post-op diary of John's hardware removal
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 05:32:18 PM »
YAY   Im so glad you posted..... I was wondering about him..... Now Dont you feel better that its over.... I know your nerves were just a wreck!  Now its time to relax... and get some sleep, while you can. Cause you will be back to the routine.....of meds....ice....PT .....and homework..... How long is he out of school for?  Im so glad everything went well...... keep us posted.....
                            Hugs    Lori

Offline 3Diggersmom

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 12:54:00 AM »
Hi there!
Lori, I got your bug  :(  I actually got a flu shot and I swear 4hrs. later I was down.  I have gotten shots before, so not sure if this is a reaction or just a coincidence.  John-boy is doing okay.  He is not a happy camper as the nerve block has worn off and he is tired of being hurt (his words).  He will be out of school for the next 2 weeks.  His teacher dropped off his work for the rest of this week tonight....he was not thrilled...I was a little aftraid he was going to say something goofy since he's kinda loopy on his meds  :-X thank goodness he didn't!  He has a load of work...French 3 test, Math B lab and HW, video to watch and questions for health, Chemistry lab and notes, 7 short stories and quizzes for english, and a Global Studies essay on Nationalism!!!!  All that and he can't stay awake long enough to watch TV for more than 15min.  Hopefully he will be able to space the meds out longer than 6 hrs., so he can focus better.  He had his first PT session today and got 70 for his ROM!  After the first surgery he only got 40!  I am home with him tomorrow, so I hope I feel better, I would feel horrible if I got him sick.  I am taking Zucol lozenges, Germ MD pills, and drinking tons of fluids.  Say a prayer this goes away quick!  Thanks  :)
1/08-8/08 PT

Offline Davori

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 01:11:37 PM »
oh  Momma! I really hope you shake whatever it is.... I KNOW... its terrible to be sick and trying to take care of teenage boy.! Just make sure you get some rest too.... Its great that his rom is at 70... WOW... So when they took the screws out, did they just reopen the original incision? or do you have more battle wounds to deal with?   The homework thing....Dont even get me started! I went up to the school again yesterday, only to find that T has been pawned off on another teacher.... who by the way is very good at teaching math.... but is absolutly the absent minded professor.... oy yoy yoy! Please pray we make it thu this.... I seriously wanted to cry last night.... I was SO ANGRY... with the AMOUNT of work they expect him to do... and ALL on his own! He is in 8th grade.... NOT college! and its HORRIBLE>>>>  If I am overwhelmed with the work I can only imagine how he must feel.!
Tyler has been going without his pain meds... his choice... but I know he does not like how they make him feel... I know he must be having some pain... but will NEVER admit to it...NEVER! I ask pain level   he says 0.  I know he could not do any of this school work on the meds....so I really hope john can get thu it....  Good luck at PT.... and I will pray he does not get your bug... Get better..... Hugs   Lori

Offline 3Diggersmom

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 02:56:09 PM »
It's day 4 post-op and I think John is doing really well.  He seems to manuver really well...but I guess I shouldn't be surprised...he's been on the crutches and in the hinged brace since August!  Now I hope we can taper off the meds.  He is taking 2 vicoden every 6hrs.  It makes him dizzy and sleepy and he hasn't had a bm since Monday!  I am giving him colace, but nothing yet!  He had a bunch of friends over last night which was nice for him.  Our house tends to be the "hang-out", so it seemed good to have kids around.  He has a checklist...drawn up by the PT's...with 3 exercises he needs to do 2x/day.  Ankle pumps, heel slides and quad sets.  He seems to be much better able this time to do the heel slides, but they do hurt.  He is supposed to tense the quad and hold it for 10sec., but can only do this for 3sec. now.  He is still sleeping now.  Hubby and #2 son have left as #2 has a basketball scrimmage (his first JV experience).  Well I better go try and do some housework, or drink some more coffee...we will see which one wins out!  PS-I am feeling better, think I have a sinus infection.
1/08-8/08 PT

Offline Davori

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2008, 04:23:36 PM »
Im so glad to hear you are feeling better..... and it sounds like Johnboy is doing great! YAY  now you just have to stay on him to do the excercises...... Its great that he had friends over... I wish tylers friends would come... The neighbor kids pop in for a min here or there but dont really stay long at all...
More coffee keeps on winning.... lol I really WANT to clean the house.... but that cofee just keeps saying  "psssst. Lori,  come here..... take a break....."    lol 
 Thinking of you both....  Hugs   Lori

Offline 3Diggersmom

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 10:06:23 PM »
Well, its day 5 for john and he seems to be doing really well.  He is tapering off the meds and doing well coping with the pain.  He studied and took a French3 test and is almost done typing up a chem lab.  He is now watching the Duke vs. Rhode Island game with dad and bros.  He has yet to do his exercises, so I need to stay on him.  I just got done cleaning the bathroom...it took me an hour!!!  There is still so much to do, but I am kinda not in the mood to keep cleaning.  I was going to make chili, but need to run out and get some supplies.  Half the family likes it and half want subs....grrr...its never easy.  It is snowing and cold outside, but I like it because we can all get cozy and stay inside by the fire  :)  We are toying with the idea of having John attempt a class or two at school, as he is behind in math and no one can help him...including the tutor (she is his global teacher).  Well, hope all is well with everyone.  Its a good day here  ;)
1/08-8/08 PT

Offline Davori

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 07:57:12 PM »
It sounds like he is making very good progress! YAY.... I know what you mean about the school work... Tyler needs the instruction in math also.... the other subjucts are not as hard... but still require alot of effort due to it being on his own with no help from teachers.... I SOOOO want to get him back in class... He just has so much to do.... to get caught up... 1st. We have to use our tudor wiseley... and math seems to be the one..... So are you going to send him to a few classes...? will they let him do that? We cant...but I wish.... Its all or nothing.... I think he is ready to return to school... physically...( Im nervouse about the weakness  and falling.... but he has to go sometime... Ill decide this week..when.... I HATE cleaning.... But I have so much to do.... T is finally well enough and does not need me every hour, but hubby is home this week... vacation.... so I guess I wont get much done with him here....lol I clean better when Im alone!  talk to ya soon....gotta get some wings out... wings for dinner since the Bills are playing tonight......lol I really hope they win....

Offline 3Diggersmom

• Regular Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 12:39:50 AM »
Hi there, Day 6 post-op here. 
John had his follow-up apt. with the OS today (an hour away).  They took off the wrap and snipped the 'tails' of the stitches.  The rest will dissolve as they are internal stitches.  He just has the steri-strips on and can shower again (Yah!!  :D).  He will wear the hinged braced, locked and will use the crutches for as long as it takes him to get strong again.  He is going to PT twice a week.  The biggest thing is the quad strength.  The OS said he is tracking real well in that knee and he did some imbrication so as to tighten things up where they were prior to the dislocation.  The other knee has been good, but it is the bigger worry as it dislocated 3x's and never had open surgery to correct anything...Just arthroscopic surgery to remove a loose body.  John has a long road, but at least its toward recovery and not another surgery.  I am really not sure if school will let him come for just one class....it didn't even occur to me that he couldn't....maybe they won't let him, I better check before I send him ???
Yah, hubby is looking forward to the Bills game too, he's a big fan.  I return to work tomorrow  :-\  Wish I could stay home more with John.  He will be fine until he needs to come down the stairs...I think I will have him call me and I can run home quick to help.  I work 10 min. away.  He still needs to do exercises for today, so I better run and get him on this. He was doing HW, not sure if he kept at it. Tomorrow is my #2 boy's 14th bday!!!  I can't believe they are growing up soooo fast!  He had his first JV scrimmage on Sat.  He is in 8th grade, but tried out and made the team.  Hubby went and said he did awesome!  17 pts.!!!  :D   Well, gotta run and take care of business before its time to hit the hay!!  Take care all  ;)
1/08-8/08 PT

Offline 3Diggersmom

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2008, 12:20:10 AM »
One week post-op, the days are flying by!  I don't think John showered today....  When I came home at lunch he said he didn't yet......  He mumbled something about it being hard to stand without the brace....I think he's afraid. 
I am trying to keep my anal side in check  ::), but this homework thing is killing me. .... John feels he will be too far behind to attend class this week to know what is going on and my email today asking his teachers if this seems warranted fell on deaf ears......as no one responded.  Looking over his binders they seem a disaster, but he gets decent grades, so I should butt out I guess.  Like I said I am fighting the control freak in me on this one  :o  His "tutor" is supposed to come over tomorrow night.  She actually popped over tonight, but he was at a parent meeting for bball with dad.  She noted she had 2 quizzes for english, but didn't want to just leave them....geeeeez, I felt funny like she thought I'd let him cheat or something.  His french teacher gave us his test to complete with no problem.  I don't know, I am probably dwelling, but I think not.
His PT went well, ROM was 85.  I think they did some electrical stim for his quad.
Well, gotta run the cleaner and fold the never-stinking-ending pile of laundry!!!  Hope everyone is well and feeling good  ;)
1/08-8/08 PT

Offline rouprak

• Regular Poster
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2008, 10:37:37 AM »
Hey,

Just catching up on you over the last few days. John is doing really well. What op did he have to have the screws removed? Was is a TTT? All the same he is young and will hopefully bounce back.

Seems to be one of the biggest problems for parents who have kids who go through such major surgery, to get their school work on track! Idealistic world i obviously live in, but would expect the schools to be ultra helpful etc. I know in UK they are pretty good, but suppose never really been though it myself. I know when i was younger and had bad asthma and was off they were constantly sending me work! ha ha!

Well, well done John and i can understand the scared in the shower thing.

When i do one of my physio exercises i have to go from being on the floor to standing without my brace ( obviously do not use bad leg at all) but am petrified i am going to fall, so i suppose it just takes time to make yourself confident. I was lucky enough to be given a spare one form my aunt which i use in the bath but still cautious.

Well, good going john and well done for being so good with him! I think is good you are in ' anal' mode as you put it as we all need pushing otherwise very easy to fall behind.

Take care,

George x
1992 - Growing pains!!!
1996 - ACL injury skiing
2003 - Charity wlak 60km! AGONY, MISTAKE
2003-2008 PHYSIO
24 Oct 08 - TTT/LR
Jan 2010- screw removal, arthroscopy and chondroplasty

Offline 3Diggersmom

• Regular Poster
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2008, 12:28:35 AM »
Day 8-post op here.
John did a ton of math today while we were working, but what he didn't realize was I had been emailing his teachers from my work and getting feedback about how much he still needs to do. 
This made for an ugly scene when I got home.....He felt under appreciated for all his hard work and I felt pressured as I knew how much he needed to do yet.....plus the "tutor" was coming at 5:15 to give him 2 english quizzes plus more work from other classes....oh... and I had to go to my youngest boy's parent-teacher conference at school by 4:30!
John still hasn't done his exercises yet today, but hopefully he will "later" as he says he is going to.  I hate to be such a pain to him, but I have to keep on him.  After the first surgery we laid back and let him be in charge of the exercises and he didn't do them.
I know he is frustrated with being hurt and not getting to be like his friends, so I do have to keep this in mind  ::)  Oh well, live and learn, right?!  Tomorrow is another day in the land of messed-up knees!   
Think I'll just grab a glass of wine and sit by the fire....Everyone do the same!!  Have a great night  ;)
1/08-8/08 PT

Offline 3Diggersmom

• Regular Poster
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2008, 01:20:27 AM »
Day 9 post-op.
PT went well, Leslie, one of the therapists there said he was doing awesome  ;D  She is a sweetie!  She said his range is way better than after the last surgery.  This is a relief, now the quad has to cooperate! 

As far as a school work update.....John got a stinking 64% on the French test he took while he's been home.....I'm afraid all the grades will be similar...I just hope he can turn it around when he goes back.  What a bummer  :-\.  He is a smart kid, but effort is not high, and this just makes it that much harder.

Well, we had a big surprise tonight.....I got a call from my youngest asking me when we'd be home from PT.....when I asked why?  He said that the WHOLE varsity basketball team was at the house!!! :o  One of the players got on the phone and said that the coach.....A MAN......was supposed to call and let us know they were coming over to surprise John and hang out!  I told him I'd be home with John in 20 min (this was about 5:30)............My house was a mess and I had no food.

We walk in and there are 15 young men!!!!!!!  What a nice thing for him to do, but geeeeeezzzzzzz, only a man would forget to call us and fill us in on the plan.  It is my mother-in-laws 82nd bday, so hubby was leaving to go out to dinner at 7 with her and I had a hair apt. at 6:45, we ordered a sheet pizza and wings and just enjoyed the moment....what else was there to do! 

Well, gotta feed the two younger ones, as the pizza and wings vaporized!!  Have a great night and god bless everyone!  :-*

1/08-8/08 PT

Offline 3Diggersmom

• Regular Poster
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2008, 09:13:27 PM »
Just a quick Day 10 post-op update here as its Friday and I already have my wine in hand ;D 

John spent alllllll day doing homework and they are still dropping more off later tonight!  Today was the last official school day he will miss (#8) and you'd think he'd been out a year!  I just figured that maybe one out of the seven teachers would say something like....."don't worry about this one, its not critical he do it"  What was that you said about husbands, Lori?....HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.....that's my feeling about the teachers and the HW, quizzes, tests, etc.

Well John's pain is lessening and he seems upbeat.  Let's hope it continues  ;)  Have a great night all! 
1/08-8/08 PT

Offline 3Diggersmom

• Regular Poster
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2008, 05:50:06 PM »
Where did Saturday go????  Day 12 here.  John has started walking around a little without his crutches, not sure he is supposed to do this.  He still has his hinged brace on and its locked, but I am not sure if he is supposed to be WB or if he is how much.  I know the quad is still very weak, so I better ask at PT tomorrow. Teenagers think they are invincible! 
He road the bus with the team to a scrimmage and seemed upbeat.  I bet its hard for him to just watch.  Well gotta go get him out of bed!!!  It's almost 1pm and he is still sleeping....teenagers! 
1/08-8/08 PT