Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 2nd synvisc injection  OUCH!!!!!!!!  (Read 3115 times)

Offline missmyknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 20
  • From the Land of OZ
2nd synvisc injection  OUCH!!!!!!!!
« on: August 15, 2003, 03:43:48 AM »
Just had my second synvisc injection today at noon and boy what a difference from last week. This one was very painful. I saw the partner of my OS because mine was out of town.He put the injection in a different spot because I was still swollen from the 1st one. This time it was still on the lateral side but up towards my thigh. Ihad very intense pain on the medial and top part of the patella. He wanted me to bend my knee after it and I couldn't. I had to manually lift my knee over to dangle on the edge of exam table and manually move my knee back and forth. I asked him why so painful and not able to bend , he said quad attachment was irritated. It is now 6 hrs later and walking and bending is still  painful! I just can't wait for next weeks iinjection.  :-[ :-[ :-[

Pam
4Fx Clsd red
IMrod fib plate
derotate osteotmy tibfib
AF
IPCS patbaja
DeLeeOsteotmy,LOA,LR Zplasty,bongrf,chondrplty
chondrplty,LOA,fatpad remvd
TKR
openLOA,neurectmy,ITB Zplasty,fabela
PLC recon,revison,LOA,synovec
MCL,revison LOA
openLOA,prox Zplasty
openLOA, 6 neuromas excised,synov
3 Fusions

Offline cat

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: 2nd synvisc injection  OUCH!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2003, 04:42:28 PM »
Pam,
Sorry this injection didn't go as well as the first. How is your knee feeling today?
cat
"Miserable malalignment"
 Lateral release, medial reefing, VMO advancement, and TTT-  3/2/04
Screw removal- 5/24/05
Cortisone injection to pes anserine- 7/27/05
Femoral derotation osteotomy, TTT revision- 10/18/07

Offline westview5579

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2003, 08:22:48 PM »
I had synvisc last fall in both knees, and the second shot in the right knee was a real stinker. I was not impressed to say the least. I never figured out why it was so painful, but the others were ok. I'm now getting ready to get a second go around for the left knee, it seemed to help for about 10 months. The right knee it did nothing, it's a lost cause and I will probably get it replaced this winter. I hope you havee the same luck as myself and you don't even feel the 3rd injection.
Sheila
LR-Right 5/3/2002, LR-Left 7/12/2002 Synvisc both Sept 2002, LR, MR, Meniscectomy, Chondroplasty Right  5/16/2003, Right TKR 12/19/03 Cellulitis, 12/27/03, MUA 1/23/04,  RSD 2/12/04, MUA 4/6/04

Offline missmyknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • From the Land of OZ
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2003, 08:50:22 AM »
Hi Sheila

Day 2 my knee is still very painful, I can't go down stairs or up and it hurts bending period. I can't help but feel I was injected  in the some attachment just above the patella. I also am having quick episodes of sharp pain under patella. Aren't these supposed to make you better not worse? Did you get the shot in the same place each time or did the DR change the injection site each time? Next week my OS will be back so maybe that will make a difference. I hope I won't feel the 3rd injection too!!!

Pam
4Fx Clsd red
IMrod fib plate
derotate osteotmy tibfib
AF
IPCS patbaja
TKR
MCL,revison LOA
openLOA,prox Zplasty
3 Fusions

Offline westview5579

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2003, 07:09:39 PM »
Pam,
I never figured out what happened with that 2nd injection, yes he put it in the same place. It felt like it pried up my patella, it was awful, I couldn't do much of anything for a few days. I really didn't want to return for the 3rd shot but I did, and it didn't hurt hardly at all. I got the 1st injection in my left the day he did the 3rd in my right, and the left one I never even felt. I told my Doc that by the time we got done with the shots he would know how to give them. It never really helped my right, but like I said it did help the left and I'm gonna get it redone soon as the insurance gives the ok.
Sheila
LR-Right 5/3/2002, LR-Left 7/12/2002 Synvisc both Sept 2002, LR, MR, Meniscectomy, Chondroplasty Right  5/16/2003, Right TKR 12/19/03 Cellulitis, 12/27/03, MUA 1/23/04,  RSD 2/12/04, MUA 4/6/04

Offline missmyknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • From the Land of OZ
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2003, 08:37:43 AM »
Hi Sheila

Thanks for sharing your experience, I appreciate it. Day 3 is a better day thankfully I'm back to the pain level I had before the shot-still no improvement as far as the synvisc is concerned.

Pam
4Fx Clsd red
IMrod fib plate
derotate osteotmy tibfib
AF
IPCS patbaja
TKR
MCL,revison LOA
openLOA,prox Zplasty
3 Fusions

Offline westview5579

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2003, 07:09:53 PM »
Pam,
I'm glad to hear you are doing better from your shot. It's too bad synvisc doesn't work a little better, for the price of it you would think it would restore your knee to new.  I'm hoping your 3rd injection will be pain free and it gives you some pain free days or at least a let up from pain.
Sheila

Offline missmyknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • From the Land of OZ
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2003, 11:29:14 PM »
HI Sheila

My next shot is Wed the 20th. I'll post the outcome of that one. Let's hope it is technique because my OS will be back in town.  :)
Thanks again for your input!

Pam
4Fx Clsd red
IMrod fib plate
derotate osteotmy tibfib
AF
IPCS patbaja
TKR