Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ACL revision of a Double bundle reco????  (Read 3982 times)

Offline johnmcc1977

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
ACL revision of a Double bundle reco????
« on: November 11, 2008, 10:22:32 PM »
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has every had a revision of a double bundle ACL reco? I tore my original DB ACL last week after 14 months after my op and 10 moinutes of football and no goals! But seriously im gutted.

SUrgeon reckons it could be tough to fix as i have 2 tunnel througn my knee as it a DB, and even then football really should be knocked on the head.

Would love to know if anybody has had it done and if it was sucessful, similarly if anybody has not bothered with surgery and been able to live a decent life  without have there knee give out? ALso i was told that i would ned the screws removed at a minimum is this a major op, where you lose muscle and are off your feet for a while?

Any positive news would be appreciated

Offline crumpet

• Forum Faithful
Re: ACL revision of a Double bundle reco????
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 01:53:13 AM »
John:

Ohhhhh MAN! Fourteen months!!!!! Wow...so much for all that!

So this DB was done by whom?
Was this allo or hammy?

I am new to this...so I can't offer much, but I've read that they can be revised, but it will take someone that is particularly skilled. Have you thought about consulting with Dr. Fu in pittsburgh?  If you run into trouble getting answers you are comfortable with...you might want to consult with him about it.

Sorry...big time...dude!

~C:)

acl issue

Offline johnmcc1977

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 06:07:47 AM »
Hi i live in Northern Ireland, but i had my operation carried out in Australia as I was working there at the time. The surgeon who did it was excellent and i dont doubt his skill at all as he is a leader in his feild and carryies out 1000s of ops a year, as well as treating Aussie rules footballers knees too. The US of A is not an option but thanks.

Still waiting to see an NHS doctor think may be months, but knee has settled and is comfortable at the minute. As long as i dont do anything to aggrevate it again it will be cool

Offline johnmcc1977

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 07:53:24 PM »
Got my MRI results and i have torn my ACL again but no more cartlidge damage. I see the consultant on MOnday fingers crossed!

Offline johnmcc1977

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 08:37:59 PM »
Don't know if anybody is reading this but maybe some day someone else mightbe in the same boat.

Saw the Consultant today, he examined me and took xrays and looked at an MRI report. My condral sufuraces might be rubbing together due to the crunching noise in  my knee. So it looks as if I now need to go for an Athroscopy and a day procedure to remove staples and clean up the old op and get a good look at the Condral surfaces.

If they are not good then i wont be able to have a ACL revision, so its a waiting game now 4 months to get an athroscopy. Really dont fancy having this poor a knee for the rest of my life, buckling regularly!

Offline clarky_vl

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 08:51:46 PM »
hi!
sorry to hear about everything you are going through at the moment, i just wanted to say good luck with the arthroscopy and i hope that the surfaces are not too bad so you can finally get your knee sorted out! please do keep on telling us how you are doing, i will be very interested to hear  :)
Vicky
11/10/07 ACLr-hamstring, lat meniscectomy, microfracture
29/7/08 ACL revision-hamstring/LARS
7/7/09 ACL revision-quad/LARS
20/2/10 Screws out, bone grafts, arthroscopy.
6/7/10 ACL revision-BPTB allograft
14/3/11 Screws out, bone grafts, arthroscopy.
Then: ACL revision + extra-articular repair

Offline johnmcc1977

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 07:45:03 AM »
Well hade my revision done two days ago at Musgrave Park Hospital in Belfast. The op was a sucess and my stay was very smooth and made a lot easier by the guys on my ward who were great fun. The staff were excellent too.

We after2 days the knee feels great swelling is not that bad i have good range and the strenght is gradually coming back. Have to say that the Petellar graft this time seems less swollen and i have more movment that the hammy graft the last time. However Iwas in brace for a week after the hammy graft. All these pain killers are making is slightly feel a bit away with the pixies! I got my first physio session tomorrow lunchtime and im glad to be getting stuck in to it again.

Going to work from home for the next week so i can get the leg up and get it ices regularly.

Ill keep you posted, have to get off these pain killers i feel wiped out!

vinnic

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009, 03:06:52 PM »
Glad to hear that you were able to go ahead with the revision!  Was your revision a standard patellar tendon graft or another double bundle again (not sure if they use the patellar tendon for DB or not...)?  Also, have you had a chance to check out the cruciate ligament board at all?  If not, there's lots of good support over there for aclrs and revisions too! Take care and best of luck this time around! 

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2009, 06:04:50 PM »
Hi John

good to see you the other side!

By "double bundle" do you mean the graft with 4 tunnels or just a roll of two tendons doubled up? Most grafts are double or quadruple bundles these days. But the double fixation is somewhat rarer. I think that is what Tiger Woods had - 2 holes drilled in the tibia and 2 in the femur. It's supposed to give a much more natural replacement but obviously is more difficult to revise as there are twice as many holes to fill and not as much space for new tunnels.

Funnily enough I had less problems after my hamstring revision than either of my 2 patella tendon grafts. Mind you the first PT graft was done by open knee surgery in the early 90s.

Keep that leg elevated, ice often and ankle pump like you are pumping up a leaky liferaft and you're surrounded by circling hungry sharks  ;D Do the extension by letting your knee hang while elevating the heel and ankle. Heel slides and static quads will help with the flexion.

DO NOT put a pillow or support under the knee - it will cause you problems with gaining full extension and without that you will not be walking normally as you will have to limp. I know that the pillow is comfortable, I had to learn this the hard way! Having a MUA to straighten the knee was not much fun!

Sue  ;D
1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

Offline johnmcc1977

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 09:46:53 AM »
Sorry the orignal ACL was a double bundle which i believe was a doubled over hamstring tendon through a larger diameter tunnel. However the repar is just an ordinary Patellar graft.

Still feeling comfortable toda and havent taken any pain killers in 24 hours, they were making me feel like a zombie anyhow. Plus the constipation is not to pleasant! Might take a few later before physio just in case.

SO far so good.

Offline johnmcc1977

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2009, 02:55:21 PM »
Well day 4 now post op

Really surprised at how good I feel. Knees is not sore and my strenght and movement aren't bad compared with my last ACL where i had to wear a brace for the first week. I havent taken any painkiller today and the pain is pretty much zero. I can walk with a limp but im just taking it easy on 1 crutch as i dont want to rush anything.

Physio was fine just ran over the ph1 exercises and did soem walking with 1 crutch.

Working hard on my laptop in the house for the rest of the week before goig back to work next Monday.

Just need to saty motivated to do the exercises that the worst part

Offline johnmcc1977

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2009, 08:20:03 PM »
Day 6 pain still fine. Went to the nurse and got my wounds cleaned, the staples have been left in for a few more days so the wounds heals a bit more. The scar is massive a good 4 inchs long i reckon right down the front of my knee, I will look well "ard" in my shorts!

Physio stepped up a little today at the gym doing different balancing exercises and walking along a line heal to toe. Knee bit tender tonight as a result plently of ice i think.

Nothing else to report, just keep on exercising!

dieing for a beer!

Offline johnmcc1977

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2009, 11:29:49 AM »
Day 10 now.

Got the tsaples out this morning so knee feels a little bit more normal now.

Knee felt so much stronger yesterday when I woke up. I was able to do leg lifts and walk with a limp really well. Must have been the physio session on Thursday past where I did quite a bit.

Pain is fine a few time I have takena few co-codamols as its been a bit throby in bed. Othwise its all good.

Speak to you all soon.

Offline johnmcc1977

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2009, 03:26:21 PM »
Well i supose I should check in.

Day 15 now, not a great deal to report. Im off the crutches and walking quite well, still a bit of a limp. Been to physio twice a week and been on a bike and cross trainer wheich was hard work due to my lack of ROM. Got another appointment with a physio to start into the next phase and hopefully push on a bit harder.

All good so far

Pain zero

Offline mouk786

• Regular Poster
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2009, 05:01:56 PM »
Thanks for the updates, I am sure they will be useful to someone in your position... cople of questions

1) is the double bundle mthoed supposed to offer you a stronger ACL?

2) How did you rtear it - just normal footy movements?

3) You have had a patella repair now? Can you have anymore repairs after this? I spose they made screw holes in your knees before, do the holes stay there or do they get fileld up by new bone over time?

support