Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: medial menisectomy - no rehab suggested by doctor until 8 weeks out  (Read 928 times)

Offline kipruns26

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
I recently was diagnosed MRI -> 'medial meniscus has sustained a large horizontal tear of the posterior horn and mid body extending to the inferior surface.  A menisectomy was done on 10/29.  All seemed to go well, althogh I was discouraged to find that it was not until 5 days later that I was finally pain free.  In any case, I am an avid marathoner having completed 225+.  Upon returning to the doctor for post op exam 10 days later, I was told not to do anything until I saw him again in 6 weeks.  I asked if it was ok to do elliptical, stationary bike, water running, and was told not to do so.  He said that there was more than enough cushioning left.  I have bailed on a number of marathons already including Denver in Nov., CIM in Dec, Houston in Jan.  He thougt that I should be able to run Austin in February and Boston in April.  He knows the importance running has in my life and I assured him that I would be smart enough to listen to my body and not push thru the pain.  This did not seem to alter his decision.  I have read many articles that suggest rehab/muscle exercises at a minimum as soon as possible after surgery.  Previous to surgery, I had not run for 5 weeks prior and I feel that if I don't start some sort of low impact aerobic conditioning, it will take me much longer to get my endurance back.  This all began with sore hamstrings and moved down to the knee.  I have spondy L5-S1 which I know contributes to tight hamstrings which obviously placed more strain on my knee.

I have considering going to a sports specific orthopedic surgeon for a 2nd opinion.  I just want to know if I am being steered in the wrong direction.  It is coming up on 2 weeks and the leg is still a bit sore.  I had actually done 2 1 hr (easy) elliptical workouts in the past 4 days
and continue to ice and stretch, obviously against docs orders.

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
Re: medial menisectomy - no rehab suggested by doctor until 8 weeks out
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 04:32:20 PM »
  All seemed to go well, althogh I was discouraged to find that it was not until 5 days later that I was finally pain free. 
Good grief. You just had surgery. Pain free after five days is awesome. I have no idea why anyone would find that discouraging.

Doctors have different protocols. I've never had formal rehab after a partial menisectomy. I have been told to 'take it easy' for a few weeks but in general have been told to resume activities as tolerated.  I'm guessing your doctor may have told you eight weeks because he knows you're going to immediately start pounding your knee by running. You do need to let the insides heal a bit before you do that. I'm not sure why he would tell you not to ride a stationary bike or swim though. You'd have to ask him. Perhaps he's just very conservative and he wants you to be good and healed. I have always resumed swimming and riding a stationary as soon as I could push the pedals all the way around.  I would caution you against going against doctor's orders as they have specific reasons for them.  Another doctor is likely going to tell you to take the first doctor's advice this soon after surgery.

I'm sure you know doing all those marathons is going to cause your knee to degenerate quickly. Eventually you'll have to slow down. But that's your choice so go for it.

Offline bavage

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Meniscectomy 8/07 TKR 7/08 MUA 10/08
Re: medial menisectomy - no rehab suggested by doctor until 8 weeks out
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 12:39:12 PM »
Being pain free in a short time is great. As for PT...I am surprised none, even mild,was prescribed. However, you are doing well and cannot argue with the current results.
Certified Dietary Manager, ServSafe Proctor, Options Trader.           

AKA, The Curmudgeon

support