Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Scared about swelling in Foot  (Read 1525 times)

Offline mmbranch

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Scared about swelling in Foot
« on: November 11, 2008, 03:59:10 PM »
I have read swelling is normal in foot after TTT and arthoscopyon lft foot  yesterday but my left foot is nearly 3 times the size of my right foot and hurts worse than anything else.  i have done the ice on/off 20 minutes since i got home. my dr says okay to bear weight as tolerable asap. i hope im just being paronoid about the sweeling thing but it just seems the surgery site would hurt more so than my foot. any comments would be greatly apprecited thanks

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • My new PFJR...Love It!!!!
Re: Scared about swelling in Foot
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 04:14:38 PM »
Swelling from a TT is generally normal...You need to make sure you elevate you knee about your heart....do lotts of ankle pumps (move you foot foward and back) Otherwise all the extra fluid from the swelling has no where to go but down with gravity.

If you are still worried give you OS a call...

Best of luck,
Karen
Right Knee
2000 - 2002 - Scope,LR,TTT,Unscrewed
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
1/08 Unscrewed/MRI~NON-UNION
02/19/08 Lt  TTT Revision W/Graft
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

Offline mmbranch

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 04:36:38 PM »
ty for replying i figured i was being paranoid as usual, i wasnt well informed prior to the surgery about everything to expect i went from a dr visit to scheduled for surgery within a week  and as luck would have it i didnt find this site until afetr the fact

Offline digginit

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 05:01:15 PM »
The swelling is due to gravity.  Rest, Ice (to the knee), Compression (an ACE wrap from yor foot to yor boodie OR TED hose while you're elevating yor leg), Elevation of the foot at least to the level of your heart. 

Give yourself an early bedtime and stay elevated for a good 10-12 hours.  If you're compressed while you sleep, that swelling WILL get better in your foot.  Wearing a TED in the day will help keep it from coming back, but that's kind of a pain.

~dig

Offline williamlaney

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 10:18:06 PM »
i have also found this out, beacuse i went walking down to my local shops which are about 15mins away there and back . when i got back my right foot was double the size so i ice and got it higher then my heart and after 20mins it went down

Offline mmbranch

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 11:49:15 PM »
I admire anyone who has had to go threw this because i have had many surgerys and never have i been in so much pain and frightened. im on my own with 3 kids  and they depend on me to do everything feeding bathing everything and i simply just cant do it my house looks horrible because the kids are basically entertaining themselves and dinner consisted of sandwiches tonight i cant get the rest i need because someone has to watch them. i know it wont be forever but i didnt expect to be completely down i cant figure out how to use the crutches they trip me up worse.  any suggestions on how to make things easier.   

Offline maryc

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 02:21:47 AM »
If you don't have family or friends that can lend a hand, Contact your local church, social services.  Also check with the social worker at your hospital, ask your OS or GP for a referral.  There are people out there willing and able to help, you just have know who and how to ask.
8/4/07 fell
8/5 diagnosed TPF
8/6 surgery plate and 6 screws
8/12 out of hospital NWM
8/21 staples removed
9/18 OS appt - WBAT with crutches
10/10 - WBAT with cane
10/27 - back to work w/cane
12/26 - no cane, slight limp when tired
1/25/08 - released from PT, no limp
2/3/09 - Released by OS

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 04:52:22 AM »
Now is the time to ask for help.  If family isn't available or able to help start asking neighbors, etc.  How about the kiddo's going to a friends for play date - let them be fed dinner and bath and come home all clean and tired.  I'm thinking someone other there would love to help you but they don't even know you need help.  A teenage in the afternoon to entertain the kiddos - they could help you out also all the while the kids are with you but others are helping.  Church people I know would jump at the change to help you - if they knew you needed the help.  What about the os's office - do they have any referrals that could help you?  I'm just tosssing idea's out because I don't want to see anyone in pain and frightened - hang in there and start asking for help.  (I know that is very hard, but your to the point of needing help with the kids)  eagle

Offline mmbranch

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 03:02:54 AM »
today is much better i called os first thing this morning they changed my meds to morphine  ;Dwhich still leaves me achy but i can deal with it,  and come to find out insurance covers private care nursing i guess they were not going to volunteer that info freely they even cover in house PT ::) thank you all so much id be lost without this site.