Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: TKR not so good  (Read 728 times)

Offline Martin Brown

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
TKR not so good
« on: November 11, 2008, 02:03:27 PM »
Hi folks,
I am glad to find this site, I can tell you.
A little medical history, then a question or two - if that is alright?
I am 55 years old. In 1980 I had a major cartilege operation to my left knee. Two six inch incisons, and out came the whole kerboodle.
By 1982 the knee was failing, letting go and leaving me on the deck. So I went in and had the patella tendon transposed. All was well.
In 1994 I was diagnosed with degenerative spinal stenosis in both the lumbar and cervical regions. Two major neurosurgical operations later (multiple Foraminotomies and wide scale boney growth removal), and my back was left in even greater discomfort and pain.
Around 2000, my left knee became very arthritic (I have widespread Osteo-arthritis), and I elected for a Total Knee Replacement. That was in May of this year. 5 months post operative, and the ROM is limited to 85 degrees.
Last weekend I went in to hospital to have a 3 day epidural with manipulations. The epidural failed quite quickly (Ow!), and only 2 or so degrees of extra bend were found.

I am due back to see my consultant (an excellent fellow) in ten days or so. He wants to dscuss the next step. There is talk of a GA and more vigorous manipulations. Or using very carfeul nerve block anasthetics, and vigorous manipulations. Or a complete revision.

I don't know what to do, or how to think about all this. My pain levels are very high at the moment after the last manipulations (being bed-bound absolutely guarantees spinal issues for me), I am not sure I want more of that? Are there any there ways forward?

I am doing my daily Physio, (Ow!), but cannot increase the RoM. In fact, it seems to me to be dwindling, my knee is now so stiff and sore.

What's the future? Anyone got any wisom I can borrow?
 :-\

Gary064

Re: TKR not so good
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 02:27:27 PM »
Hi Martin
When i had my TKR in Feb 2007 my ROM ws 90 degree's when i left hospital. After a short while it reduced to 85 degree's and was in a hell of a lot of pain. I went to physio and did all the usuall exercises but it still would not ben any further. In June 07 they manipulated it under a general and got it to 115 degree's. When i came round it still would not bend any further than 90 degree's. I keep trying to bend it further by doing the usuall exercises but wont budge! If you keep trying you may get it to bend more in time, just keep at it as it does work for most people. As for the pain, it does get easier and does go, just be patient. I thought the pain would not last long but alas it does, another couple of months and you should be ok, everyone is different so pain levels will differ.

I wish you all the best and a speedy recovery.

Gary

support