Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Unflexed Locked knee  (Read 1299 times)

Offline ben_mossberg

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Unflexed Locked knee
« on: August 14, 2003, 10:38:54 PM »
Hi, I was wondering if anyone can help me out here. I am 22 years old, and have been heavily involved in atheltics my whole life. I have never had a knee inury, though I did partialy tear my right quad. Last night I woke up in the middle of the night to get a drink of water, and was unable to straighten my right leg. The knee was locked, there was no pain unless I really forced it and it felt as though i could somehow just "pop" it out, though this did not work. I went back to sleep in the hopes that when I woke it would be beter. This also did not work.  Later that day i went to a doctor, but he wasn't a lot of help ( I live in korea so communication is a problem) I managed to get x-rays, and my knee looked beautiful. I figured I would just get some muscle relaxants and throw a hot pack on my knee. Got the prescription, and later that night did just that, woke up this morning and I can walk again. But now I am very nervous, i can still feel,, somthing, not pain, not a tweak, just somthing. Anybody have any ideas?
Thanks alot,
Ben.

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
    • Check out my photography!
Re: Unflexed Locked knee
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2003, 11:18:15 PM »
Is there any way to contact your Embassy or Consulate in Korea?  I used to live in Brazil, and the American consulate in most cities maintained a list of qualified, English-speaking doctors for emergency and preventive care.  They really helped me a great deal.

As to what could be wrong--no one can diagnose that on the internet.  Things that cause the knee to lock up are a torn meniscus (cartilage) and sometimes a loose body (though that probably would have appeared on an x-ray), scar tissue, and the like.  If you are unable to bend the knee, you should have it 'reduced' in a hospital after an exam by an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in knees.  It sounds like an MRI might be in order, since the x-ray didn't show anything.

Here are the big names from the kneeguru's list of doctors in Korea:

CHINJU
 Dr Se-Hyun CHO

SEOUL
 Dr Jung-Man KIM
 Dr Sung-Jaw KIM
 Dr Banpo-Dong SEOCHO-KU  

Seoul is a huge city, I don't envy you the task of finding someone there......

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline ben_mossberg

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: Unflexed Locked knee
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2003, 12:46:36 PM »
Thanks alot for the list. As you can imagine I am a little nervous. It's not that I can't bend my knee, the problem is I coulden't straighten it. As I said I have zero history of knee injury, there was and is no swelling, and there was and is no pain. I can't match anything up to those symptoms. There is no grinding, or clicking. I can't figure it out.
Thanks again, I will try and contact somone in Seoul. In the meantime if you have any other ideas I would be very happy to hear them.

Adios,
Ben.