Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: got any advice for little old knee  (Read 807 times)

Offline midge1uk

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • If you can't walk the walk then stay and talk
got any advice for little old knee
« on: November 09, 2008, 04:44:41 PM »
hi i've just had an appointment with PT and now waiting to see knee surgeon.  My Gp diagnosed after X-ray that i had post traumatic arthritis causing wear and tear more severe than expected in a person aged only 46  :-X my next appt was with a PT who after a push here and there said i may have a medial menicus tear, problem with my knee cap rubbing on to bone something like patellafumer???? and also may have damaged acl and have lots of little floaty bits that need to be washed away- i really need to listen more!!!! anyway i can understand why i am in pain through the day but why the **** does it hurt more at night when i am resting???? can anyone out there please explain what i am likely to expect from the likely artroscopy i've been told that i am probably going to have.  ???

Offline michellec

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: got any advice for little old knee
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 05:21:31 PM »
Hello,

I had a similar arthroscopy in July to repair a meniscus tear, clear it out and look at my ACL ( so am now recovering from ACL reconstruction).  The arthroscopy is very straight forward, I came home same day, four small scars from keyhole surgery which have now disappeared.

I had minimal pain although I would say it took about 6 weeks to get back to how my knee was before in terms of range of movement.  I have then had the second major operation.

I live in UK and have two small children - the most aggravating  thing was I thought the physio was far too aggressive in terms of what I was expected to do with no access to a gym and little time to myself with work and children and I seem to have managed fine by doing sensible exercises which I could do in the home.  My physio for my current operation is much more gentle and so far much more manageable.

Hope this helps, basically I think this op is really not a problem but take your time to do sensible rehab exercises.  ( I am same age as you also).  Good luck with op!

Michelle

Offline midge1uk

• Forum Faithful
  • If you can't walk the walk then stay and talk
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 05:32:11 PM »
thx michelle for your response. i too am from the UK and got to say kinda of impressed by the speed of appointments etc.
at the back of my mind i am really not sure to continue with the op yes i am in a lot of pain some nights i want to cry and some nights i sleep like  a baby i have started a new job well 18 months into it and its my dream job i am though on my feet all day.which just winds little old knee up no end. i am so worried that if i continue and have the op they will find more than they expected and i will be laid up more than i expected. ive had two other major ops on other parts pf my poor old body and each time the docs found i was more a problamatic case than what they were expecting. i just dont know what to do  :'(

Offline michellec

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 05:55:17 PM »
Hi again Midge,

Sorry you are in so much pain, probably aggravated by your job.  I sit down all day!

The arthroscopy is really not a major procedure and I would definitely have just to find out what's wrong especially if you plan to continue in an active occupation or want to do any sort of exercise or sport.

As regards any further surgery, I went for my major op because of quality of life in terms of being able to do things, exercise and ski next year with my little boy!  I think if an ACL is just torn you can try rehab without major surgery as an option though, my only choice was the operation.

Kind Regards

Michelle

support